Faux color skyline

editor

How is Houstonist doing? Since Gothamists global expansion I've heard mixed reviews. How well does it cover Houston?

They seem to crank out more and more content each day, and I usually scan it a few times a week, as it is always good for a laugh, and some lunchtime conversation fodder.

However, I've found that a lot of the writing/coverage now feels somewhat "immature", which I suspect is a function of the age of the newer writers (on their bios, many look like they are straight out of high school). Also, I'm not sure the Houstonist's reviews of eating and drinking establishments are always on the up and up...i.e., there may be some "sponsored" reviews. For example, they had a glowing review of the hamburgers at Cafe Express, going so far as to call them "maybe the best in Houston". Uh, no.

Can you tell if the Houstonist people are actually in Houston? I've heard that some of their sister publications (Shanghaiist, etc...) are run from New York.

Glad you guys are reading us, as we are you. For the record, though we're all under the Gothamist umbrella, all the -ist sites are edited and written by locals — only Gothamist is written by folks in New York.

We receive no editorial direction from anyone, for better or worse, and run no sponsored content. The reviews all reflect the opinions of their writers, and we do our best to be accurate on things that aren't a matter of opinion. So when we stumble, as I'm sure we do and will from time to time, that's our responsibility, too.

As with HAIF, Houstonist gets better when our readers give us feedback, so please keep reading and letting us know what's on your minds. (To keep on topic: That skyline photo really was interesting.)

Jim Parsons

Editor, Houstonist

Edited by fourfive