Suggestion: Houston Wiki

MovingSoon

I recently moved to Houston from Davis CA and I wold say one of the things I miss the most is Davis wiki

http://daviswiki.org/. That was my primary source of information on which restaurant to go, which mechanic take my car to where to buy stuff, where to go biking/jogging and so on.

I am so willing every city will have something like that. Especially Houston with it's size and diversity. The problem is always who is going to run it and by which means. I was thinking this online community (the largest in Houston by far I presume) would be a good one to start. It can start with what this forum is best on - neighborhoods etc and then expand. Given enough interest and traffic it will keep on growing. Of course some enthusiast are needed to guide and moderate the thing. In Davis it is some student group that do it. With so many schools in Houston it is also possible. Or may be some moderators of the forum would be interested...

Once the project grows enough to become useful donations can be collected to keep it spinning...

Anyway just want to hear what people think...

Guest Marty
I recently moved to Houston from Davis CA and I wold say one of the things I miss the most is Davis wiki

http://daviswiki.org/. That was my primary source of information on which restaurant to go, which mechanic take my car to where to buy stuff, where to go biking/jogging and so on.

I am so willing every city will have something like that. Especially Houston with it's size and diversity. The problem is always who is going to run it and by which means. I was thinking this online community (the largest in Houston by far I presume) would be a good one to start. It can start with what this forum is best on - neighborhoods etc and then expand. Given enough interest and traffic it will keep on growing. Of course some enthusiast are needed to guide and moderate the thing. In Davis it is some student group that do it. With so many schools in Houston it is also possible. Or may be some moderators of the forum would be interested...

Once the project grows enough to become useful donations can be collected to keep it spinning...

Anyway just want to hear what people think...

The Administrator of this forum has a wiki called " towrs " look in the HAIF info sub forum at the very bottom of the index board for the link.

Guest Marty
what's a sticky?

It's like a reminder you see at the top of some forums like the rules and other stuff like that you see it at the top in a sub forum.

let's ask sinbad how accurate it is....you know he's dead. :lol:

thanks for the link. But it definitly looks like we need more enthusisast to work on it.

Not too much growth since october. May be the student group...

I'm looking for a volunteer to take charge of the Houston section.

Main responsibility would be putting the great information that ends up on HAIF into Towrs so it's more easily referenced. Yes, it's nice to have online here, but there's a lot of stories and history that I fear is hard to find on HAIF, and I think could be better organized on a wiki like Towrs.

Benefits are the same as the HAIF moderators -- the occasional spiff.

Archived