Midtown Could Use A Change

what

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's funny. I never knew they lived in midtown too. I am getting the feeling that people would get jealous if the Brady's home was relocated to Midtown, due to its grand size.

These guys probably wanted to attend a private school in Midtown...

Just send the kids to private school! It's not that expensive and certainly better than putting them in the zoo that public schools have become.

I attend a public school (HISD), but not my zoned school. The kids at my school more or less behave and are college-bound.

I'm not saying that private schools are bad, but, HISD knows that parents in some areas may be disappointed with the local public schools, so HISD established transfer and magnet programs to allow parents to choose schools not in their neighborhoods.

concur. i still think many great houses (and deals) are overlooked because people are concerned about schools.

I guess the people who are heavily concerned with zoned schools feel like they could not afford private school payments after buying the house. I know some people who attended private school in middle school but switched to public school in high school due to tuition.

I forgot: there is a Houston ISD magnet school called International Studies High School, which is located on the HCC Campus in Midtown.

HSPVA was established in 1971 in the San Jacinto High School building. San Jacinto's technical program, and San Jacinto itself, closed in 1981. During the same year, HSPVA moved to Montrose.

Can someone slap a photo of this school so we can all see it? By numbered does this mean to be razed or remodeled or reinvented as a different curriculum.

Numbered meaning its going to close due to consolidation.

Its on Elgin @ HWY 288 bordered by Chenevert on one side

Right near all of the townhouse and condo developments. The single family homes that were there have been replaced by the townhomes and condos. Its a safe bet that most of the new residents do not have kids. Without kids in the area to attend the school, the school is no longer useful. With that said, do some of you still think Midtown was geared for families?

I'm not saying that private schools are bad, but, HISD knows that parents in some areas may be disappointed with the local public schools, so HISD established transfer and magnet programs to allow parents to choose schools not in their neighborhoods.

i think the practice is OK if we don't have to pay extra to bus them there for extra routes etc.

i think the practice is OK if we don't have to pay extra to bus them there for extra routes etc.

If the school is more than two miles away from the magnet school (the kid must be enrolled in the magnet program), the kids get free bus service.

Right near all of the townhouse and condo developments. The single family homes that were there have been replaced by the townhomes and condos. Its a safe bet that most of the new residents do not have kids. Without kids in the area to attend the school, the school is no longer useful. With that said, do some of you still think Midtown was geared for families?

Some bits of the J. W. Jones attendance boundary extend into the Upper Third Ward and into Downtown Houston.

So, this is what I would do:

* Rezone the bulk of J.W. Jones as a choice area between MacGregor ES or Gregory-Lincoln ES.

* The portion east of SH288 is zoned to Blackshear Elementary School

* The portion inside Downtown is zoned to Gregory-Lincoln ES.

Blackshear only has 388 kids in 05-06, down from 578 kids in 01-02 - http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Blackshear_ES.pdf

Ryan has 581 kids in 05-06, down from 830 kids in 01-02 - http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Ryan_MS.pdf

So, sometime in the future, Blackshear should be consolidated into Ryan to form a Ryan K-8.

I suspect that K-8 will become the rule in some neighborhoods around Downtown Houston.

• 1 month later...

Well, that's an interesting point but to answer your question, since there was a school there then I would have to say that yes it was geared towards families originally. Also think that more than one school exists/existed in Midtown.

Well, that's an interesting point but to answer your question, since there was a school there then I would have to say that yes it was geared towards families originally. Also think that more than one school exists/existed in Midtown.

I think he's using Midtown meaning currently since it wasn't called midtown before.

I think he's using Midtown meaning currently since it wasn't called midtown before.

No, I'm sure that he meant the school is in Midtown because today it is in the same location as it was in the past, that is in Midtown where it is today. None of the area was called Midtown back then anyway. I think it was mostly ghetto and is still an alternative for those who can't afford to purchase downtown.

No, I'm sure that he meant the school is in Midtown because today it is in the same location as it was in the past, that is in Midtown where it is today. None of the area was called Midtown back then anyway. I think it was mostly ghetto and is still an alternative for those who can't afford to purchase downtown.

J. W. Jones is still open - I have not heard of any formal plans to close the school - I assume its days are numbered anyway.

San Jacinto High School, HSPVA, and St. Agnes used to be in the area now known as Midtown.

International Studies High School, a magnet school, is in Midtown.

J. W. Jones is still open - I have not heard of any formal plans to close the school - I assume its days are numbered anyway.

San Jacinto High School, HSPVA, and St. Agnes used to be in the area now known as Midtown.

International Studies High School, a magnet school, is in Midtown.

i think you're proving moonman's point, with less children in midtown, there is less likelyhood of a new school being built in midtown.

i think you're proving moonman's point, with less children in midtown, there is less likelyhood of a new school being built in midtown.

Yep, or for that matter, a neighborhood school.

International HS just opened, but it is a magnet within HCCS Central.

Yep, or for that matter, a neighborhood school.

International HS just opened, but it is a magnet within HCCS Central.

yeah if HISD had to acquire property and build a school, it certainly wouldn't have been possible. i was just reading about the international high school. The school focuses on preparing students for university and their roles in our society as global citizens. i laughed when i read their focus. don't all high schools do that?

yeah if HISD had to acquire property and build a school, it certainly wouldn't have been possible. i was just reading about the international high school. The school focuses on preparing students for university and their roles in our society as global citizens. i laughed when i read their focus. don't all high schools do that?

The school sounds like it needs a new mission statement; from its website, I can tell that its focus is international studies.

Also, the website needs to list staff by telephone number and e-mail like other schools do. Also, it should list its dress code, etc. (It mentions a uniform somewhere, but does not mention very many specifics).

The school sounds like it needs a new mission statement; from its website, I can tell that its focus is international studies.

Also, the website needs to list staff by telephone number and e-mail like other schools do. Also, it should list its dress code, etc. (It mentions a uniform somewhere, but does not mention very many specifics).

for me, i could care less about dress code.....it is the education that i am concerned about.

for me, i could care less about dress code.....it is the education that i am concerned about.

Since IHS is brand new, we have no statistics about TAKS test scores. Also, it helps to have teacher names so that we can find them in databases like Dolcefino's test score database :)

Since IHS is brand new, we have no statistics about TAKS test scores. Also, it helps to have teacher names so that we can find them in databases like Dolcefino's test score database :)

but since you're a future administrator, you'll try and dodge mr dolcefino :)

but since you're a future administrator, you'll try and dodge mr dolcefino :)

Dolcefino is the modern embodiment of muckracking journalism - He'd feel at home in the late 1800s with Upton Sinclair (the author of The Jungle) and other famous muckrackers. I'm glad that muckracking exists, as it keeps others in check :)

It's odd seeing people simply run away from Dolcefino on TV. Their actions suggest cowardice.

suggest?

Oh, that, and running away also places a "guilty" stamp on the forehead of the guy who refuses to defend himself. So, yes, the Sterling High School official got the "honor" of calling himself guilty and cowardly by running away.

Archived