Tenant lied on application

I received an offer from a prospective tenant to pay an entire year's lease up front. This seemed like a good offer to me, so I had basically decided I would rent to this tenant (before I had checked her background). I was, however, uncomfortable with the fact that she was unable to provide proof of income/employment, but dismissed this as she "claimed" to be a self-employed model.

As I started checking into her background, however, it seems that she falsely represented her occupation on the application. On her application, she stated she is a model...however after digging deeper, I discovered that she is actually an exotic dancer.

I don't feel entirely comfortable renting to her based on this new information. Not only did she fail to disclose her true occupation, but I'm concerned about the type of personal lifestyle she might lead and what might occur in the confines my property.

Based on the above, what would you advise? Should the fact that she wants to pay the whole year in advance be enough to counter my concerns that she lied about her occupation? Assuming her credit report is okay, is my discomfort with the entire situation grounds to deny her application? ...Or am I being discriminatory?

You're being discriminatory.

You are assuming she is a prostitute. She may not be.

The solution here is easy: Sign her to a one year lease. Make her pay the entire year upfront. At the end of the year, if there are "lifestyle" things that she does to damage your property, toss her.

Simple.

I received an offer from a prospective tenant to pay an entire year's lease up front. This seemed like a good offer to me, so I had basically decided I would rent to this tenant (before I had checked her background). I was, however, uncomfortable with the fact that she was unable to provide proof of income/employment, but dismissed this as she "claimed" to be a self-employed model.

As I started checking into her background, however, it seems that she falsely represented her occupation on the application. On her application, she stated she is a model...however after digging deeper, I discovered that she is actually an exotic dancer.

I don't feel entirely comfortable renting to her based on this new information. Not only did she fail to disclose her true occupation, but I'm concerned about the type of personal lifestyle she might lead and what might occur in the confines my property.

Based on the above, what would you advise? Should the fact that she wants to pay the whole year in advance be enough to counter my concerns that she lied about her occupation? Assuming her credit report is okay, is my discomfort with the entire situation grounds to deny her application? ...Or am I being discriminatory?

I think if you require a credit check and stable employment history then you can decline her app as long as the tenant you end up renting to provides true info and has a stable history. Not to mention the fact that her app was falsified. I would not consider this discriminatory. You wouldn't be denying her on the basis that she's an exotic dancer. Additionally, I wouldn't trust someone who lied up front or who you have character questions about. She sounds like a problem waiting to move in.

One last thing. It helps to provide a "Rental Criteria" form to applicants when you hand them the app. This document would describe your requirements to rent to them and would include things like, must agree to credit check, must have stable employment history, must not falsify app, etc.

I hope this helps.

Edited by ProHouston

Being an Exotic Dancer is not a "Protected Class" under Federal Fair Housing Guidelines. You are free to "discriminate," if that's what you want to call it, all you want on anything except race, creed, color, sex, national origin, familiar status(presence of children) & handicap status. So long as your denial is not based on one of the above factors, then there is nothing illegal about it. Mis-representing herself on her application would be grounds for automatic denial at most apartment complexes.

Secondly, paying for a year up front sounds good, but it is not necessarily a good idea. Evictions for non-payment of rent are very easy in Texas. Evictions for other reasons, (noise, tearing up the place, etc) are more difficult. If the rent is paid in advance it could make things far more difficult should you need/desire to get her out.

My experience from far too many years in the apartment business is these "entertainers" bring drama. Not always, but it seems like there is always a boyfriend (or two or three or eight) that create problems. Drugs issues can also arise. Unless your property is hard to rent, I would try to get someone with more stable employment. If it is in a building with other tenents, I especially would.

Let her pay the year in advance and the deposit. I am sure your lease agreement has a clause in it, that says you have the right to terminate for Blah Blah Blah ! Right ? Don't judge a book by it's cover. Not all dancers do drugs or prostitute, or do anything other than go dance for the money. Sit down with her and explain the situation to her and ask her why she lied.

Maybe she lied because she had too many rental rejections in the past for stating her occupation? That is why she offered a year upfront. There are too many whys in this situation.

The best way to find out if she is going to be a problem is to ask for references of previous leases, contact and ask if she had been a problem or a model tenant.

Edited by webdude

not a big deal.

she's a an exotic dancer who put down model instead. not really that much of a stretch; it's not like she said she was a pharmacist or accountant. i'm sure disclosing the fact that she is a stripper, she has run into a lot of closed doors. rather than getting bent out of shape because of this lie, realize that she is just trying to survive and giv her the benefit of the doubt.

She probably gave you her "model" status because of the fact that she knows she might be discriminated against as a dancer, not to mention it's also opened the door to harassment by land lords. it's a bit of a stretch, but a few of the dancers I've known have used that as a "definition" of what they do. Most of the dancers I've known aren't prostitutes, nor do they just take anyone home. You have to remember, their home is their hidden world from that life, the smarter ones won't let anyone there unless they're certain about them.

While being a "Dancer" isn't a protected status as someone has stated, it's not what she is when she leaves her work.

Put a clause in your contract about Illegal issues without being too obvious about it and just keep an eye on the property.

You're being discriminatory.

You are assuming she is a prostitute. She may not be.

The solution here is easy: Sign her to a one year lease. Make her pay the entire year upfront. At the end of the year, if there are "lifestyle" things that she does to damage your property, toss her.

Simple.

Discriminating based on one's choice of professsion is not illegal. This is within your rights as a landlord.