Who Remembers Yack

hbcu

I remember the commercials but never thought anything else about it until recently...

I was at Astroworld in the early 90s and used this thing called Yak or Yack....it was somewhat of a computer but it let you call to other computers and you could look things up. It was an early edition of the internet but very few people had it....

What was the concept and does anyone have links to any sites?

I just remember the promo's as Yak.

This was about the time Nickelodeon was becoming popular and "Nick at Night" was featuring really cool old reruns of 60's sitcoms like "Green Acres", etc. MTV was still sticking to it's original format of innovative music videos. All has changed dramatically since, cable has completely lost it's premise of quality viewing at least for the younger set. It's only worth watching for the documentary type shows and History channels, etc. There was even that music channel for the more mature group and even it hit the skids. VH1 was it! As stated, majority of music channels totally lost thier original premise. Pure trash now. :(

Like the 1st MTV song said, "Video Killed the Radio Star"

I remember the commercials but never thought anything else about it until recently...

I was at Astroworld in the early 90s and used this thing called Yak or Yack....it was somewhat of a computer but it let you call to other computers and you could look things up. It was an early edition of the internet but very few people had it....

What was the concept and does anyone have links to any sites?

I had one of those when I was in elementary school/junior high. They would sell them at the mall. It was basically a counsel that allowed you to chat with other people. That is the only use I remember. You could go to different chat rooms and talk to people in the Houston area. I actually got a date from using it. And, believe it or not, we went to Astroworld. Good stuff. I guess I was ahead of the curve on internet dating ;)

• The title was changed to Who Remembers Yack?
  • 4 months later...

Yes my step dad had one. The concept was not just to play games. It was like you said. A precursor to internet. It was designed as a new fun way to stay connected to friends and meet new people. I always thought it was a awesome piece of technology. 

• The title was changed to Who Remembers Yack