Just like everyone else, I'm looking for WORK

Hi everyone,

my title says it all. Before I become a full-time (or part-time) student at the University of Houston, I am going to look for employment. So far this month I've applied at every retail company in existence, (btw the applications are all the same) and now I'm starting to branch out into other entry-level work. I started off with Fed Ex at the airports but they declined me, even though my last job was with electrical construction, a physically intensive job.

But I have other skills: Administrative, web design, and a little customer service. So there's still hope.

My question is, what particular non-retail companies or industries are actively looking for college students to fill their ranks? I don't care if I get a job with Big Oil, the end result is to have money to pay the bill$.

Is anyone familiar with job growth of the local web design industry? I've heard that Austin, TX (cool place) has tech companies. Is it possible to work with Austin-based companies while living in Houston? I'm really not that worried about web design because I could go on Craigslist and get a project based upon my portfolio. But my primary goal is to have a real job that involves commuting, interacting with the people of H-town, e.t.c.

The work I've done so far is visiting one of the Worksource offices, and signing up to houstonjobs.com...and filling out those fun 38-page retail job applications.

Thanks for your help

Hi everyone,

my title says it all. Before I become a full-time (or part-time) student at the University of Houston, I am going to look for employment. So far this month I've applied at every retail company in existence, (btw the applications are all the same) and now I'm starting to branch out into other entry-level work. I started off with Fed Ex at the airports but they declined me, even though my last job was with electrical construction, a physically intensive job.

But I have other skills: Administrative, web design, and a little customer service. So there's still hope.

My question is, what particular non-retail companies or industries are actively looking for college students to fill their ranks? I don't care if I get a job with Big Oil, the end result is to have money to pay the bill$.

Is anyone familiar with job growth of the local web design industry? I've heard that Austin, TX (cool place) has tech companies. Is it possible to work with Austin-based companies while living in Houston? I'm really not that worried about web design because I could go on Craigslist and get a project based upon my portfolio. But my primary goal is to have a real job that involves commuting, interacting with the people of H-town, e.t.c.

The work I've done so far is visiting one of the Worksource offices, and signing up to houstonjobs.com...and filling out those fun 38-page retail job applications.

Thanks for your help

Good luck with finding a web design gig. The Houston labor market just doesn't demand many and the Austin market is pretty competitive.

Look for any and all office jobs. They offer transferable skill sets and will offer a better and more applicable education than UH ever could. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help

Houston isn't really a techie kind of place. Try austin for that, but without some real web experience on your resume, be prepared to work intern style with low or no pay.

The trick is not to search only hire ads, cause everyone else is doing the same, but choose the industry, companies and places where you really want to work at, and apply to them, EVEN if they don't advertise that they are looking to hire. Look and befriend someone on the inside and ask for recommendation.

Edited by webdude

Also, don't look at your typical businesses. As you go around town, look at someplace interesting and see if you would be interested in working there, at your age (and today's economy), job stability isn't really expected. So always keep an eye out for something that's interesting.

The Austin tech jobs are going to be hard to find a low level tech position in Austin due to the kids in that area have the same thought you do.

The best jobs are usually the ones that are not advertised.

Thanks for your help

I used to work at a Worksource as a counselor it really depends which one you go to. Some locals just dont give a flip, your basically just a number at most locals. The Heights local was real good about a year ago. If your serious about seeing work you must make a good communication effort with a counselor.

Secondly, if your real, real, real desperate try the temp services, something is better than nothing.

As for the oil industry beware. Most big well-known companies are only bringing in "contract" help because they know the industry is so unstable right now. Plus they don't want to waste their tightwad $ on high insurance costs. I came from a large oil business and almost everyone I once worked with are being officially "let-go" after many years of faithful service. The corporate politics/ethics are very similar to Enron and you know how that went. It is clearly a backstabbing industry. That's a whole nother manifesto.

Good luck or just play that high Mega-lotto tonight and all this will just be a bad dream! :lol: