I fear I may get screwed by insurance company

Let me say I am sorry for posting this hear but I was hoping that someone can give some advice.

As I stated in another thread, our condo was involved in a fire. Although we sustained only smoke damage the homeowner's Association and other authorities felt that my condo was inhabitable. So off to a temporary apartment for me and my family. OK first of all we are not saified with the insurance company's performance. The adjuster has not been very responsive to situation more like reactive and scrambling to keep up, frequently late on paying the rent on the temporary place, late on paying bills that are over and beyond want we are used to paying and basically not being available to us whenever we call voice our concerns. So this will reflect badly on them if we choose to go with another insurance company.

A Building Property $15,420

B Personal Property $51,400

C Loss of Use Actual Loss Sustained

D Loss Assessment $1,000

Section II

L Personal Liability $100,000

(Each Occurrence)

Damage to Property of Others $500

M Medical Payments to Others $1,000

(Each Person)

Deductible(s) Section I

Deductible $1,000

1) This is basically our coverage, we have pretty much paid(eliminated) our deducitible with the out of pocket expenses that we incurred with above and beyond normal utilities bills being paid. So if I was unclear with that statement.

2) Our HOA is fitting the bill to have the property gutted and redone. Its wriiten in the bylaws that the HOA cover any structural damage. That means the insurance company got off the hook (that they did not have to pay the $15,000) to repair our condo.

3) The $50,000 personal property coverage will be minimal as well because we pretty much did not lose anything.

One of our neighbors whose condo was also inhabitable is having a much better experience with a diiferent insurance company and also is expecting a modest settlement. We haven't even gotten any speculation from our adjuster is this normal? We've never had any experience with a homeowner's insurance claim, so want kind of compensation if any, should we expect from the insurance company for our inconvience. Are we being hosed or what?

Thanks for any feedback, personal experiences or advice.

Let me say I am sorry for posting this hear but I was hoping that someone can give some advice.

As I stated in another thread, our condo was involved in a fire. Although we sustained only smoke damage the homeowner's Association and other authorities felt that my condo was inhabitable. So off to a temporary apartment for me and my family. OK first of all we are not saified with the insurance company's performance. The adjuster has not been very responsive to situation more like reactive and scrambling to keep up, frequently late on paying the rent on the temporary place, late on paying bills that are over and beyond want we are used to paying and basically not being available to us whenever we call voice our concerns. So this will reflect badly on them if we choose to go with another insurance company.

D Loss Assessment $1,000

Section II

(Each Occurrence)

(Each Person)

Deductible(s) Section I

Deductible $1,000

1) This is basically our coverage, we have pretty much paid(eliminated) our deducitible with the out of pocket expenses that we incurred with above and beyond normal utilities bills being paid. So if I was unclear with that statement.

2) Our HOA is fitting the bill to have the property gutted and redone. Its wriiten in the bylaws that the HOA cover any structural damage. That means the insurance company got off the hook (that they did not have to pay the $15,000) to repair our condo.

3) The $50,000 personal property coverage will be minimal as well because we pretty much did not lose anything.

One of our neighbors whose condo was also inhabitable is having a much better experience with a diiferent insurance company and also is expecting a modest settlement. We haven't even gotten any speculation from our adjuster is this normal? We've never had any experience with a homeowner's insurance claim, so want kind of compensation if any, should we expect from the insurance company for our inconvience. Are we being hosed or what?

I would suggest that you 'shop around', meet with a couple salespeople, and ask them whether you're getting a fair deal. Based on what I remember about standard insurance contracts, it probably is fair, even if customer service has been slow. But if the salespeople balk at how you've been treated, and say that you should've gotten much more, take it to your lawyer and let him threaten to sue. The threat ought to get them to be at least somewhat more forthcoming, if only to avoid expensive litigation on a relatively small dispute.

i'm sure you should ahve a huge cleaning bill due to the smoke.

so why do you have property insurance if you HOA is covering the damage? what type of coverage is provided by the HOA?

so are you upset that you're not getting some money back like your neighbor? if the HOA insurance is covering rebuild costs i'm not sure how many other companies would come in and give you additional money if the damange has been taken care of by another.

D Loss Assessment $1,000

Section II

(Each Occurrence)

(Each Person)

Deductible(s) Section I

Deductible $1,000

Hi KW,

I'm not in claims, but I am an underwriter, so I see these situations very often. Depending on the level of your adjuster, they may be working on 100 other cases at the same time. Also, there may be some hangups with your particular claim that could slow the process. That's no excuse for leaving you out in the cold, but it may offer some sort of reasoning. A couple questions:

How long has it been since you filed the original claim?

How long has it been since you spoke with your adjuster?

Has the association started repair on the portion they are responsible for?

The best thing you can do, if you feel you are not being treated like you should, is to speak with a claims supervisor. It sounds like you need to light a fire, and that's the best way to do it. If nothing happens the first time, try again. And again...

Then, once you're done, switch companies. :P

i'm sure you should ahve a huge cleaning bill due to the smoke.

so why do you have property insurance if you HOA is covering the damage? what type of coverage is provided by the HOA?

so are you upset that you're not getting some money back like your neighbor? if the HOA insurance is covering rebuild costs i'm not sure how many other companies would come in and give you additional money if the damange has been taken care of by another.

Well I am not sure why I have coverage now but we first got it to protect us in situations like this. I have no regrets on having insurance.

Initially I thought the HAO covered the exterior of the condo only and I thought the insurance company would fit the bill for the interior walls, carpet, appliances etc. However the HOA stated and has begun to working on getting the condo back to its original condition. I am not sure what type of coverage the HAO provides.

Hi KW,

I'm not in claims, but I am an underwriter, so I see these situations very often. Depending on the level of your adjuster, they may be working on 100 other cases at the same time. Also, there may be some hangups with your particular claim that could slow the process. That's no excuse for leaving you out in the cold, but it may offer some sort of reasoning. A couple questions:

How long has it been since you filed the original claim?

How long has it been since you spoke with your adjuster?

Has the association started repair on the portion they are responsible for?

The best thing you can do, if you feel you are not being treated like you should, is to speak with a claims supervisor. It sounds like you need to light a fire, and that's the best way to do it. If nothing happens the first time, try again. And again...

Then, once you're done, switch companies. :P

I filed my claim on Nov 5.

Last time I spoke with my adjuster was the 1st week in Feb. to complain that the rent was due, no check has arrived and what can we do to make sure this does not happpen again. She claimed oversight on her part and it will not happen again. The rent is due now and there is not a check in the mail.

Am I upset that we are not getting any money back like my neighbor? Well I am not sure just yet.