Urban Cowboy Film Locations

Willsatx

I still can't believe that this film was made. I am only glad as the years pass that this film starts to fade away from my memory at least. Maybe it was the timing it was made?

I was in high school and every guy I knew simply hated John Revolta. Even some of the smarter girls thought he was just tooo fruity. He was so type cast as Vinny Barbarino as a hip NYC high school Sweathog, I mean come on. Not to mention Saturday Night Fever. Yuk! So now he is put in a macho image tough-cowboy in Paserdener? They may as well had Richard Simmons play the part. :wacko:

His Texas swagger has to have been one of the worse ever. In some of the scenes he even forgets he is from Texas and the Brookyn dialects is clearly heard.LOL :lol: We used to check out Gilley's only out of pure curiousity and this was BEFORE the movie was made. It was just a ramshackle tin roofed beer joint and had numerous additions to the main bldg. Basically it was just a oversized beer dive. Rarely did you ever see any minorities in there. The Klan was still running most of Pasadena at the time. Texas proud huh?

Any how, this film has to be one of the main one that stereotyped Houston for ages, and the TV show Dallas. Ok, Iv'e vented. Much better now. Talk amongst yourselves. Any old subject will do. :)

Oh by the way, the only thing that was cool about Gilleys was the big sign out front. I think Mickey G saved it somewhere. Yeahahhh! Time for a Lone Star!

It is a terrible film . . . . and did people really dress like that ?

The Gilley's sign now resides at the Cowboy Ranch (or whatever it is called now) on Spencer and Red Bluff in Pasadena.

Actually, Jim closed the Cowboy Ranch and auctioned the sign on e-bay. Last I remember seeing, someone in Canada was high bidder.

Cute little fact about Cowboy Ranch: The restaurant sat in two cities - Deer Park and Pasadena. There was a yellow line in the restaurant that represented the split... it may have even been the actual line. Either way, it went through a table of four. Since Deer Park was dry, it was rumored you couldn't drink on the Deer Park side of the restaurant, but could drink on the side that rest in Pasadena. I've been there several times, and was only denied alcohol once or twice in certain areas... could have been the staff playing, or the real deal.

The pub I own in Pasadena has a Gilley's Retro Nite every Wednesday. It's a great young crowd and good times, complete with Mickey's son Greg and his posse.

Never a dull moment in Pasagetdowndena... that's for sure.

Cute little fact about Cowboy Ranch: The restaurant sat in two cities - Deer Park and Pasadena. There was a yellow line in the restaurant that represented the split... it may have even been the actual line. It was rumored you couldn't drink on the Deer Park side of the restaurant, but could drink on the side that rest in Pasadena.

Unless Pasadena has voted itself "Wet" since I lived there 30 years ago, you have it backwards. It's Pasadena that's dry. Deer Park is wet. Pasadena has been dry for many decades. I grew up and went to school there, and we always had to drive to South Houston or Houston to buy beer. People who live there now still do.

You own a pub in Pasadena? Which one? Is it really in the Pasadena City Limits? I'd like to check it out sometime.

Edited by FilioScotia

hahah! There are days I wish Pasadena was dry... drunk people can get on your last nerve!

It's called KK's Pub, on Fairmont Parkway (just off Burke Road). It's really in Pasadena (actual limits). There are some places in Deer Park that (for whatever reason) you can buy liquor/beer/wine, so there must be some strange boundries involved in liquor licenses. Just let me warn you, my pub is a little hole in the wall 'Cheers' type place... everyone knows everyone, and it's more a gathering spot of old friends. One couple even brings their dog in with them everyday.

(Just kidding, TABC!)

I would compare it to Kay's Lounge in The Village, without the $10 pizzas.

I still can't believe that this film was made. I am only glad as the years pass that this film starts to fade away from my memory at least. Maybe it was the timing it was made?

I was in high school and every guy I knew simply hated John Revolta. Even some of the smarter girls thought he was just tooo fruity. He was so type cast as Vinny Barbarino as a hip NYC high school Sweathog, I mean come on. Not to mention Saturday Night Fever. Yuk! So now he is put in a macho image tough-cowboy in Paserdener? They may as well had Richard Simmons play the part. :wacko:

His Texas swagger has to have been one of the worse ever. In some of the scenes he even forgets he is from Texas and the Brookyn dialects is clearly heard.LOL :lol: We used to check out Gilley's only out of pure curiousity and this was BEFORE the movie was made. It was just a ramshackle tin roofed beer joint and had numerous additions to the main bldg. Basically it was just a oversized beer dive. Rarely did you ever see any minorities in there. The Klan was still running most of Pasadena at the time. Texas proud huh?

Any how, this film has to be one of the main one that stereotyped Houston for ages, and the TV show Dallas. Ok, Iv'e vented. Much better now. Talk amongst yourselves. Any old subject will do. :)

Oh by the way, the only thing that was cool about Gilleys was the big sign out front. I think Mickey G saved it somewhere. Yeahahhh! Time for a Lone Star!

A friend just gave me the synopsis for the entire movie. ok, here it is.... Sissy cleans the trailor. The End.

Maybe it's dry within Pasadena's original city boundaries?

That's the way it is in Friendswood.

Everything that was annexed later is wet.

That's the probable explanation. The annexed areas were wet when they were annexed, but there must be a "grandfather" clause in the law that allowed them to stay wet. It makes sense.

KK's pub? Compares to Kay's? Sounds like a place I would enjoy a cold one or three. I might drive over to my old stomping grounds and check it out some time.

That's the probable explanation. The annexed areas were wet when they were annexed, but there must be a "grandfather" clause in the law that allowed them to stay wet. It makes sense.

KK's pub? Compares to Kay's? Sounds like a place I would enjoy a cold one or three. I might drive over to my old stomping grounds and check it out some time.

There's definitely a wet side and a dry side to Pasadena. I used to live there...but I don't recall how things were divvied up...

There's definitely a wet side and a dry side to Pasadena. I used to live there...but I don't recall how things were divvied up...

I lived in Pasadena for many years and I do recall a dry and a wet side but I cant remember the dividing lines either. I do know the Phillips 66 on Pasadena and Preston was dry but the Cheries on Preston just a block or 2 down was wet. The 7 elevens on Red Bluff south of Pasadena Blvd were wet but the ones to the north were dry. The Caffeys on Spencer close to Deer Park was wet but if you went to the west on Spencer the stores were dry. And Pasadena had quite a few hole in the wall bars dotting the entire community. They had a joke back in the 70's that there was a church for every bar in Pasadena so the drunks wouldnt have far to stumble for forgiveness.

A friend just gave me the synopsis for the entire movie. ok, here it is.... Sissy cleans the trailor. The End.

slide72.gif

Yeah, this is one tough dude. When Grease came out we really got queazy. Oh God, and he actually has a Lone Star in hand. :wacko: Rumor had it he went to Mary's bar while in town. Kids at school had a field day with it.

slide72.gif

Yeah, this is one tough dude. When Grease came out we really got queazy. Oh God, and he actually has a Lone Star in hand. :wacko: Rumor had it he went to Mary's bar while in town. Kids at school had a field day with it.

I think one of the cheesier moments in this movie is where Sissy asks Bud.."Are you a real cowboy?" And Bud answers in the most awful Texas accent ever.."Well that depends on what you think a real cowboy is." Oh my gosh.. it had a cheese factor of at least 9. Question for myself.. "Why do you watch this every time its on tv?" :blush:

Pasadena is no longer wet/dry. They did away with the dry section(Old Pasadena) last year. You can now buy alcohol any where in town. The dry section was bordered on the north by 225, south by Spencer, west by Allen Genoa and east by Preston.

By the way the previous comment came from a local comedian named Gary Bun Richardson who used to play at the Comedy Workshop Annex all the time.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

Come on by anytime... I've been told we have the coldest beer. Nothing on tap though, it's all bottles.

...and we have Titos!

Thanks, Texianjoe... that sounds right. I do remember not too long ago the battles of trying to go wet but I was thinking that was more So. Houston area for some reason.

I think one of the cheesier moments in this movie is where Sissy asks Bud.."Are you a real cowboy?" And Bud answers in the most awful Texas accent ever.."Well that depends on what you think a real cowboy is." Oh my gosh.. it had a cheese factor of at least 9. Question for myself.. "Why do you watch this every time its on tv?" :blush:

Now you got me thinking of the songs from Grease. "Your the one that I want...hooo...hooo....hooo"

the one that I want...hooo...hoo....hooo.

Like a train running through my head.

I was so glad when Travolta seemed to fade away by the 80's then like living hell he's back! My mom is in her mid 80's and even she says, he's so damned ugly now, looked better on Welcome Back Kotter. :lol: lol

Thanks, Texianjoe... that sounds right. I do remember not too long ago the battles of trying to go wet but I was thinking that was more So. Houston area for some reason.

There is a finger of S. Houston that goes into Pasadena all the way to Shaver where Fiesta, Racetrack drive thru beer, He's not Here icehouse are. That may be what you were thinking off. They were not to happy about the new law, they were making a killing being on the border.

joe

I just realized that there was a sequal to this stupid movie. "Brokeback Mountain".lol

Pasadena is no longer wet/dry.

Wow. That's amazing. Of all the places on earth I would have expected to stay dry forever it was Pasadena.

Then again, I guess all the annexations over the years have brought in enough voters who drink to outnumber the Baptists and other "churchianity" folks who kept the original Pasadena dry for so long.

I wonder how many people in the "old" Pasadena even speak English.

That's the REAL question!

Of course after this amnesty bill goes (GRRRR!!!!) through you can kiss Pasadena goodbye. I wouldn't be surprised if they start flying flags of Mexico over it.

I moved to Pasadena in 1991. Strawberry Park, for example, was mostly non-hispanic at that time. By the time I moved from there in 2003, gangs were rampant (graffitti everywhere) and there were only two non-hispanic families living on my street. And you couldn't walk or run the track at Strawberry Park because of the vatos walking their fighting pitbulls.

And not a one of them vatos were English speaking. It's nuts.

That's the REAL question! Of course after this amnesty bill goes (GRRRR!!!!) through you can kiss Pasadena goodbye. I wouldn't be surprised if they start flying flags of Mexico over it.

I think the Pasadena that people of my generation remember is already gone. Just a few weeks ago, I took a drive through the old part of Pasadena to see what my old neighborhoods look like now. I grew up there in the 50s and 60s, and lived at several addresses till I graduated from PHS in 1961.

Our first Pasadena address was on Park Lane in the Gardens. Later on, we lived on Lawrence Street, also in the Gardens, on Pomeroy St. on the north side, just a few doors down from the Pomeroy family, and on Camille, two doors off Harris in the old Revlon Terrace neighborhood. All those areas were nice places to live -- back then.

It was depressing to see what is now happening in those areas. Everything north of 225, especially that little area around Pomeroy Street looks like "Little Nuevo Laredo". The Gardens were on the way down when I lived there in the 50s and it's just awful to see them now. Some of the people there have some pride and are taking care of their homes, but most of the houses are slums. There's no other way to say it. Most of Revlon Terrrace appears to be holding up better than the Gardens. In fact, it wouldn't bother me to live there now.

I didn't go through Red Bluff Terrace, or any area south of Southmore, so I don't know what those parts of town look like now.

The old "original" Pasadena, the area bounded on the north by 225, on the west by Shaver, by Southmore on the south, and on the east by Tatar, excuse me, Pasadena Blvd, used to be one of the nicest areas in the whole east part of the county. It was built in the years before WWII, and it was noted for its lovely tree-lined streets, well maintained cottage style houses and green lawns. Not any more. Anyone who remembers what it looked like as recently as 30 years ago would weep if they could see it now.

It's clear that the people who once lived there and took pride in their lovely suburban neighborhood don't live there anymore. Many have moved south to the annexed areas south of Spencer Highway and Fairmont Parkway. I won't be making any more trips back to Pasadena. It's just too depressing.

Edited by FilioScotia

I think the Pasadena that people of my generation remember is already gone. Just a few weeks ago, I took a drive through the old part of Pasadena to see what my old neighborhoods look like now. I grew up there in the 50s and 60s, and lived at several addresses till I graduated from PHS in 1961.

Our first Pasadena address was on Park Lane in the Gardens. Later on, we lived on Lawrence Street, also in the Gardens, on Pomeroy St. on the north side, just a few doors down from the Pomeroy family, and on Camille, two doors off Harris in the old Revlon Terrace neighborhood. All those areas were nice places to live -- back then.

It was depressing to see what is now happening in those areas. Everything north of 225, especially that little area around Pomeroy Street looks like "Little Nuevo Laredo". The Gardens were on the way down when I lived there in the 50s and it's just awful to see them now. Some of the people there have some pride and are taking care of their homes, but most of the houses are slums. There's no other way to say it. Most of Revlon Terrrace appears to be holding up better than the Gardens. In fact, it wouldn't bother me to live there now.

I didn't go through Red Bluff Terrace, or any area south of Southmore, so I don't know what those parts of town look like now.

The old "original" Pasadena, the area bounded on the north by 225, on the west by Shaver, by Southmore on the south, and on the east by Tatar, excuse me, Pasadena Blvd, used to be one of the nicest areas in the whole east part of the county. It was built in the years before WWII, and it was noted for its lovely tree-lined streets, well maintained cottage style houses and green lawns. Not any more. Anyone who remembers what it looked like 30 and 40 years ago would weep at what's happening to it now.

It seems clear that the people who once lived there and took pride in their lovely neighborhood don't live there anymore. I won't be making any more trips back to Pasadena. It's just too depressing.

It is depressing...and the term "barrio" is very applicable.

Depressing is an understatment... really.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, if it has forgive me... the old Gilley's site was purchased by the school district. I haven't really been keeping up with PISD, but I believe they're building another high school there.

Don't quote me on that, though.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, if it has forgive me... the old Gilley's site was purchased by the school district. I haven't really been keeping up with PISD, but I believe they're building another high school there.

I always wondered what they were going to do with that land. I stood there years ago and watched Gilleys burn. Lots of people thought Sherwood Cryer was the cause of the place going up in flames.

Whats really strange is they started building a 2-3 story frame for what looked like a motel or? At least I think it was where Gilley's was. They built a huge frame and then it stood unfinished for about 2 years and I think they tore down?

How or why would someone start something and destroy it? Had to be in a legal dispute or something? Again, I am not positive but it seeemed to be right where Gilley's driveway was as you entered. :wacko:

Like Olivia and John said ...Someone better "shape up" ...hoo...hoo...hooo...hooo

Edited by Vertigo58

Whats really strange is they started building a 2-3 story frame for what looked like a motel or? At least I think it was where Gilley's was. They built a huge frame and then it stood unfinished for about 2 years and I think they tore down?

Do you mean the rodeo arena that was next to the nightclub?

It stood for years after the club was closed and then burned. I don't think the arena was demolished until after the school district acquired the property.

How or why would someone start something and destroy it? Had to be in a legal dispute or something? Again, I am not positive but it seeemed to be right where Gilley's driveway was as you entered. :wacko:

Like Olivia and John said ...Someone better "shape up" ...hoo...hoo...hooo...hooo

If you mean the structure to the right of the club it was the rodeo arena, it only had bleachers and a big metal roof.

joe

If you mean the structure to the right of the club it was the rodeo arena, it only had bleachers and a big metal roof.

joe

NO! HALT everyone stop the presses!

There was a wooden frame placed about 3 years ago or less not way back when. In other words someone gave the OK to build a hotel or shopping center then just called it off.

Everytime I drove by it seemed to darken with the sun and I wondered why they abandoned the project? It may still be standing dont recall. For some reason they just stopped building. Now I need a Lone Star! >:)

Well if Sherwood Cryer had any dealings in the property before PISD got it, but if he did, there is very a very good chance of his questionable accounting practices could have cratered the deal.

Here's an interesting article on Sherwood:

http://www.houstonpress.com/1997-05-15/new...od-s-rules/full

NO! HALT everyone stop the presses!

There was a wooden frame placed about 3 years ago or less not way back when. In other words someone gave the OK to build a hotel or shopping center then just called it off.

Everytime I drove by it seemed to darken with the sun and I wondered why they abandoned the project? It may still be standing dont recall. For some reason they just stopped building. Now I need a Lone Star! >:)

I never noticed it. I will try to drive by on my way home and see it there are any signs left.

joe