Commute To Downtown Information

foo_bar

Our family is moving to houston. I am going to work in downtown. We have a 5 year old. Based on different inputs sugarland, pearland and woodland seem like the places i should be in (schools, crime, rental prices). Which one of them is the best place to be in with respect to commute. What will the commute be in rush hour (using park-and-ride, tollways whatever choices make it faster) for the 3 of them to downtown.

Our family is moving to houston. I am going to work in downtown. We have a 5 year old. Based on different inputs sugarland, pearland and woodland seem like the places i should be in (schools, crime, rental prices). Which one of them is the best place to be in with respect to commute. What will the commute be in rush hour (using park-and-ride, tollways whatever choices make it faster) for the 3 of them to downtown.

Though The Woodlands is the nicest (it's as close as you get to Utopia), it is also the furthest. That would be one hell of a commute, probably an hours easy at rush hour.

Sugar Land is great for people working Uptown, probably your second best commute option to downtown. Sugar Land is a great place to raise families, do a little research, it was rated as the 3rd best place to live in America by Money magazine and of the best to raise a family as well.

Pearland would be the easiest commute to downtown just based on distance, traffic is steadily getting worse with no plans to expand 288 South. It is also the least developed and planned, not sure how that fits into your preferences. All of these areas are nice, you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

Also, crime in Sugar Land is the lowest of the three, not sure about rental prices in these areas. Both Sugar Land and The Woodlands have commuter shuttles to downtown. See Trek Express and The Woodlands Express.

Stay out of the Fort Bend Schools.

Go for the Spring/Kline Schools.

Stay out of the Fort Bend Schools.

Go for the Spring/Kline Schools.

I'd have to disagree with that. Fort Bend schools are good, some of them exceptional, you should always check these figures before moving. I agree that "Klein" schools are very good, but there are some that aren't as well. I wouldn't move into the Spring school district.

You should check out Katy, too. They have extensive HOV coverage out here, and the Westpark Tollway can get you into Uptown real quick. Katy I.S.D. is the largest school district in Texas to have a "Recognized" status this year.

Katy I.S.D. Campuses, there, you can view school report cards, student population, and more information about the schools. Hope you find it easy finding your new home.

thanks all -- Sugarland it will be.

MidtownCoog -- what is your travel time like door to door on an average.

I am a big fan of public transport (energy / environment / infrastructure) so that gives an added incentive.

I used to commute from sugarland, just hit the westwood park and ride, (its a lot less crazy than the west belfort) its around 15 minutes from p&r to downtown via the new HOV directly into midtown. The bus route is 262. You can take 265 (west belfort) but like i said its super crowded, but the buses do run every 5-6 minutes.

• The title was changed to Commute To Downtown Information

Archived