Galveston Again

• 7 months later...

You know, my unscientific prediction was that this one would be cancelled. I check condo for sale listings every week just to see what's out there, and a large portion of these are still listed week after week. It doesn't appear that their presales have done well. It didn't look compelling to me in relation to other options out there.

I think the Drake East Beach development is dead too. I called them a few months ago to get current prices, and they said they weren't taking any more deposits. Very evasive about it.

Also, I saw an ad a few weeks ago in the WSJ I believe, and some Pointe West condos were basically being given away. About $100K to $200K less than the retail price.

In my opinion, too many condo towers were announced last year, and it's actually better for the market if a few of them fall by the wayside. I'd rather not see the place get too overbuilt. That just hurts the people in the more viable condo developments. It's all about supply and demand. Galveston is really becoming a hot spot, but I prefer to see orderly, rational development myself.

• The title was changed to Galveston Again

Archived