Memorial Bend Mod for sale

Shin'enKan

Being as this is on the West side of the division you actually have a choice between Memorial High or Stratford.

BTW, I love this house. They had a family of owls living in the back yard in the recent past. Not sure if they still do.

Edit: I just looked at the listing... That is a good offering. Watcing the neighborhood and the scarcity of 4 bedrooms I would have thought +50k.

Beautiful large glass windows. But, does it make the house less energy efficient? I assume the glass is less insulated than a wall, no?

Yes, the glass does not have the insulation factor of a solid wall. However, these single pane windows are east facing. Also, every time I was in the house visiting the neighbors, I never found that part of the house to be uncomfortable. Of course I never asked about their electric bill either.

Lowbrow-

I hope the owls stick around too. They are fascinating to watch, even though the baby owls stay as still as statues most of the time ^_^

Could you elaborate on how original the inside is? How much work it's going to take?

What is the back of the house like? Are there large windows in the back? A sliding glass door?

Also, I noticed the Floyd designed house directly behind you (barrel windows) is for sale again. What happened there?

By the way, our window wall faces Southeast. The room is never as cool as the rest of the house, but we've gotten used to it. However, most of the heat does rise to the top of the room, leaving the sitting area pretty comfortable. We leave the shades down during the summer and I can't wait for our one month of Fall so we can open the shades all day if we want. Perhaps it would be better if we used this room less than we do, but it's the TV room so of course we use it most...

I remember you mentioning this house would be for sale soon. I think it is beautiful! Someone who "gets it" should live in this house.

Jason

PS - we missed you (and "Baby Architect") at the lecture.

Yes, the glass does not have the insulation factor of a solid wall. However, these single pane windows are east facing. Also, every time I was in the house visiting the neighbors, I never found that part of the house to be uncomfortable. Of course I never asked about their electric bill either.

Lowbrow-

I hope the owls stick around too. They are fascinating to watch, even though the baby owls stay as still as statues most of the time ^_^

Edit: I just looked at the listing... That is a good offering. Watcing the neighborhood and the scarcity of 4 bedrooms I would have thought +50k.

Did I miss something? I didn't see a price on the listing. Did I miss it?

The house is pretty well situated and I think there are quite a few trees in the back to provide additional shade. The front room is great - I've always liked that free-standing fireplace. It is not original to the house as it was added by an architect who once lived there but it is a nice addition. Essentially, the house is similar to 12902 Figaro - the house that was featured in American Builder Magazine in 1959 - but I believe it is bigger due to an addition.

Could you elaborate on how original the inside is? How much work it's going to take?

What is the back of the house like? Are there large windows in the back? A sliding glass door?

Also, I noticed the Floyd designed house directly behind you (barrel windows) is for sale again. What happened there?

By the way, our window wall faces Southeast. The room is never as cool as the rest of the house, but we've gotten used to it. However, most of the heat does rise to the top of the room, leaving the sitting area pretty comfortable. We leave the shades down during the summer and I can't wait for our one month of Fall so we can open the shades all day if we want. Perhaps it would be better if we used this room less than we do, but it's the TV room so of course we use it most...

I remember you mentioning this house would be for sale soon. I think it is beautiful! Someone who "gets it" should live in this house.

Jason

PS - we missed you (and "Baby Architect") at the lecture.

The back of the house is very simple compared to the front elevation. There are french doors that look out from one of the bedrooms, family room, and kitchen onto the backyard and pool area. Also there's a door from the master bath that leads to the backyard/pool (very handy). The bathrooms appeared to have original tile with some hideous wallpaper to boot, but perhaps Judith removed that.

Judith had the interior and exterior painted so it would be easy to go in and make your mark with some color. My house came with the same infusion of BLAH but it's been fun making the interiors more colorful! Structurally and mechanically I don't know what kind of work the house might need.

PS: Sorry I missed the lecture, I forgot to put it on my calendar. But Josh and I are going to the party on Saturday. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the info. I always wonder if the French Doors I see on 50's ranches are original or redone. To me they look like they belong on a different kind of home, but I may just be biased to liking the solid/single pane glass door. So you're saying there are 3 sets of French Doors? That's pretty good.

We went the route of painting all the walls "blah" as well. We let our artwork be the colorful part. You can always change the artwork easily. I wasn't expecting you to know much about the structure unless it was falling down in some parts. It would be important to find out when/if the foundation was done. I'm sure at that price it has some issues. But don't all houses? Now there are 3 pretty important houses up for sale over there? Let's hope they all go to good owners.

Yes, we'll see you Saturday night. I wouldn't miss the chance to see that house again. They have gotten further with furnishing it as well so it will be nice to see that.

Mod taped the discussion, but I don't know of any plans to sell or make copies of the video so you could see it if you were so inclined...

Jason

The back of the house is very simple compared to the front elevation. There are french doors that look out from one of the bedrooms, family room, and kitchen onto the backyard and pool area. Also there's a door from the master bath that leads to the backyard/pool (very handy). The bathrooms appeared to have original tile with some hideous wallpaper to boot, but perhaps Judith removed that.

Judith had the interior and exterior painted so it would be easy to go in and make your mark with some color. My house came with the same infusion of BLAH but it's been fun making the interiors more colorful! Structurally and mechanically I don't know what kind of work the house might need.

PS: Sorry I missed the lecture, I forgot to put it on my calendar. But Josh and I are going to the party on Saturday. Hope to see you there.

There is the mod of the month this weekend at 330 Electra. The listing agent is also holding two more Floyd moderns open at the same time, 2 to 5 Sunday. Our own Shin' enkan will be hosting one I think, I don't know if she talked Michael B, the all knowing guru of Memorial Bend, into hosting the other one.

330 is a great house, with the three open it provides a great opportunity to really see Memorial Bend.

Archived