Where's the best place (in/around Houston) for fishing?

Pathfinder

I usually wouldn't tell you about a good fishin' spot, but Matagorda Bay is excellent when the Reds are running, or when you want to go "gig" some Flounder. I usually charter a boat with friends to go a little deeper if I want to go do some serious fishing. You may want to drive up to Conroe to El Lago. Not a bad freshwater spot.

there is something called the Buffalo and Whiteoak Bayous Bacteria TMDL Stakeholder Group on the Texas Commission for Environental Quality site, and they also have a "Texas Surface Water Quality Viewer" - i am having a hard time understanding any of it, but i was able to retrieve this map:

(the red lines indicate water that is "impaired for aquatic life use" :unsure: )

24pwab5.jpg

so that may not mean alot, but it still says "icky" to me

this may be a naive question but...

is it ok to eat fish caught in and around the houston bayou?

i know folks who do and folks who are sicked by the thought.

The state says the bayous are not nearly as polluted as they once were, which means raw sewage and chemical wastes aren't dumped into them anymore -- at least not legally. AND, it helps to remember that only eleven years ago, a fully grown ocean-born manatee SOMEHOW managed to swim all the way up the Houston Ship Channel, and up Buffalo Bayou as far as the city sewage treatment plant at the 69th Street Bridge -- just a few miles from downtown Houston. She camped out there for days, apparently attracted to the warm treated waste-water outfalls from the sewage plant. Amazingly, she never suffered any ill effects from it, or from her swim up the channel and the bayou. Animal rescue people finally pulled her out of the bayou and moved her to Sea World in San Antonio.

So while the bayous are not considered "polluted" by state and local environmental officials, I think it's important to remember that bayou water is the rainfall and storm drain runoff from the entire county. Think about where that water has been, and all the grit, grime and god-knows-what it picked up before it drained into the bayou. I wouldn't go swimming in one of them, nor would I knowingly eat anything caught in one. But that's just me. You're on your own.

My favorite places for salt-water wade-fishing: Any place on the Gulf side of west Galveston Island, but I"m especially fond of West Galveston Island State Park and San Luis Pass at the southern tip of the island. I've caught some good sized Reds at both spots. Specks and drum are plentiful at San Luis Pass. For fresh-water, I like Deussen Park on Lake Houston, and the San Jacinto River just below the Dam. They're both close by and free.

Thank you FilioScotia!

I may try San Jacinto River. Have never been there...

The state says the bayous are not nearly as polluted as they once were, which means raw sewage and chemical wastes aren't dumped into them anymore -- at least not legally. AND, it helps to remember that only eleven years ago, a fully grown ocean-born manatee SOMEHOW managed to swim all the way up the Houston Ship Channel, and up Buffalo Bayou as far as the city sewage treatment plant at the 69th Street Bridge -- just a few miles from downtown Houston. She camped out there for days, apparently attracted to the warm treated waste-water outfalls from the sewage plant. Amazingly, she never suffered any ill effects from it, or from her swim up the channel and the bayou. Animal rescue people finally pulled her out of the bayou and moved her to Sea World in San Antonio.

So while the bayous are not considered "polluted" by state and local environmental officials, I think it's important to remember that bayou water is the rainfall and storm drain runoff from the entire county. Think about where that water has been, and all the grit, grime and god-knows-what it picked up before it drained into the bayou. I wouldn't go swimming in one of them, nor would I knowingly eat anything caught in one. But that's just me. You're on your own.

My favorite places for salt-water wade-fishing: Any place on the Gulf side of west Galveston Island, but I"m especially fond of West Galveston Island State Park and San Luis Pass at the southern tip of the island. I've caught some good sized Reds at both spots. Specks and drum are plentiful at San Luis Pass. For fresh-water, I like Deussen Park on Lake Houston, and the San Jacinto River just below the Dam. They're both close by and free.

if you want to bank fish for cat,

try luce's bayou off old 2100 (huffman-cleveland road) north of huffman

or on the east side of the 1960 bridge over lake houston.

there used to be bait shops at both spots, too.

there is something called the Buffalo and Whiteoak Bayous Bacteria TMDL Stakeholder Group on the Texas Commission for Environental Quality site, and they also have a "Texas Surface Water Quality Viewer" - i am having a hard time understanding any of it, but i was able to retrieve this map:

(the red lines indicate water that is "impaired for aquatic life use" :unsure: )

24pwab5.jpg

so that may not mean alot, but it still says "icky" to me

As I recall, there are basically three big problems.

The Buffalo Bayou has very high counts of fecal bacterias (not a problem if fish are thoroughly cooked).

The Ship Channel was recently deepened, which disturbed a lot of polluted sediment, prompting the State to put out dioxin advisories everywhere downstream. There's even a sign at Sylvan Beach Park along Galveston Bay in La Porte that warns against the frequent consumption of fish. I think that it's OK if you eat it in moderation, though.

Lastly, don't even touch the water in Hunting Bayou. There was a spill a year or so back of drilling mud into the bayou. Very very toxic stuff.

Archived