Atlanta

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that you have had about 15 people register and not post yet too, hopefully you will find a Redscare, Citykid09, or something like that to keep up with the interesting posts and keep it alive, those are the keepers.

• 2 weeks later...
Great! Let's all go over there and talk about how much better Houston is than Atlanta. :lol:

Indeed. But seriously, I was planning on starting something my own and getting a domain for a mere $24 (after I get the urbanok domain) but I've been waiting for someone in the footsteps of ATL CityScape to come along. I even made the banner...

georgiascape0dc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of our latest stats:

untitled1.jpg

^^Banner made by Sooner&RiceGrad.

untitled-1.jpg

We usually get around two-five guests at a time.

Oh, and from the first time I posted this post at 10:41 PM we had over 2400 posts in ten minutes (not all by me :) ). Real good, and I am thankful for the contributions we have had so far.

• 3 weeks later...

The big update on my forum. We opened on August 8, 2006 with 0 posts.

Here is our banner:

atlantanx3.gif

Our ranking system goes like this:

The completed list:

Peachtree Street: 1

Buford Highway: 10

Centennial Olympic Park: 20

Downtown Connector: 30

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport: 40

Stone Mountain: 50

Mall of Georgia: 60

Turner Field: 80

Crowne Plaza Buckhead Hotel: 105

Underground Atlanta Tower: 138

Philips Arena: 165

Atlanta City Hall: 190

Georgia Aquarium: 220

One Buckhead Plaza: 256

Georgia State Capitol: 272

Georgia Dome: 293

CNN Center: 305

The Spire: 341

The Campanile: 366

Atlanta Hilton: 383

One Coca-Cola Plaza: 403

1100 Peachtree Street: 427

Buckhead Grand: 451

Terminus 100: 485

Park Avenue Condominiums: 503

Marriott Marquis Hotel: 554

The Mansion on Peachtree: 580

GLG Grand: 609

1180 Peachtree: 650

Bell South Building: 677

Georgia Pacific Tower: 697

Westin Peachtree Plaza: 723

191 Peachtree Tower: 770

One Atlantic Center: 820

SunTrust Plaza: 871

Bank of America Plaza (Roof): 933

Bank of America Tower: 1023

WAGA Radio Tower: 1114

Midtown Atlanta: 1300 posts

Buckhead: 1700 posts

Downtown Atlanta: 2000 posts

Mayor of Atlanta: 2500 posts

King of Atlanta: 4000 posts

I went by building height starting with Crowne Plaza Buckhead Hotel (except for the Georgia Aquarium).

Here are some stats and screenshots:

untitled55a.jpg

Stats on September 23, 2006:

atlforum923-a.jpg

Stats just two days later:

atlforum925.jpg

Stats on September 28, 2006:

atlforum928a.jpg

As of me posting right now, we were at 5281 posts. Give me some suggestions on my site. The URL is here: Atlanta South Discussions Forum

HAIF's own Gary is an active member, too.

• 2 months later...

Oh and Trae, do you have a hosting bill for the Atlanta site?

And also do you have to pay 7k/year like Editor does?

Oh and if you do, do you brag about it like he does? :P Sorry editor.

I think once his traffic really picks up, he will run into the lag issues that this site experienced last spring.

He has no bill. He doesn't have his own server. He's on a "free" shared hosting site. Well, free to him. The host appears to be recouping some money through advertisements, like HAIF does.

I don't know about the specific one he's on, but with most of them once he grows large enough they're going to either make him start paying by the month or kick him out. Anyone who's lived past the age of 12 knows there is no free lunch.

He has no bill. He doesn't have his own server. He's on a "free" shared hosting site. Well, free to him. The host appears to be recouping some money through advertisements, like HAIF does.

I don't know about the specific one he's on, but with most of them once he grows large enough they're going to either make him start paying by the month or kick him out. Anyone who's lived past the age of 12 knows there is no free lunch.

Really, so once the bandwidth gets to be too much, the hosting company cracks down on you with an ultimatum. Sounds shady; they offer you a free service to start a forum, and then once your forum picks up and you start enjoying the website you created, the nail you with charges or threaten to shut you down. It is like they entice you with free opportunities to get you in, and once they have you, you are at their mercy. :angry:

He has no bill. Anyone who's lived past the age of 12 knows there is no free lunch.

So that brings me to this question. What's in it for you? Don't you get a tax break, monetary reimbursement, or payment for being the host to a site with alot of members. Unless i had a good paying job, i'd be damned if i paid 7k a year for hosting a site just for grins. Sorry HAIFERs, i ain't tryin' to step on no toes but I'M just curious!

And no editor, i'm not suggesting anything BTW. I'm appreciate this forum just how it is. ;)

Really, so once the bandwidth gets to be too much, the hosting company cracks down on you with an ultimatum. Sounds shady; they offer you a free service to start a forum, and then once your forum picks up and you start enjoying the website you created, the nail you with charges or threaten to shut you down. It is like they entice you with free opportunities to get you in, and once they have you, you are at their mercy. :angry:

It's just like selling razors or crack -- hook 'em with a good rate, then jack the cost up.

It's very common and often discussed in forums where webmasters hang out. And it doesn't just happen to people starting forums -- it can happen to any web site. You've probably seen an ad or two somewhere on the internet offering "unlimited" free bandwidth. It just doesn't happen. If bandwidth was free and unlimited then companies like Google would move to these services and save themselves a couple of hundred million dollars a year. The webmaster forums are filled with tales of woe from new people who suddenly find themselves shut out of their web site, or facing a huge bill.

So that brings me to this question. What's in it for you? Don't you get a tax break, monetary reimbursement, or payment for being the host to a site with alot of members. Unless i had a good paying job, i'd be damned if i paid 7k a year for hosting a site just for grins. Sorry HAIFERs, i ain't tryin' to step on no toes but I'M just curious!

And no editor, i'm not suggesting anything BTW. I'm appreciate this forum just how it is. ;)

It's a hobby -- like any other hobby. Some people sink their money into toy army men. Some people like to run model trains. I put my time and effort into gathering and redistributing information. HAIF is one of those tools. If HAIF ever gets big enough that I can quit my job -- I'm there in a heartbeat. But until that time, it's like nurturing a dysfunctional multi-headed digital plant.

When i was Trae's age i was getting thrown under the bus by the FCC because my CB radio antenna was 78 feet tall. FCC maximum height allowed is 60 feet or no higher than 20 feet above the tree tops. They made me take down the antenna from the tree but i got smart after that several hundred dollar fine, i bought a crank up tower. when your in to a hobby you will try anything or you move on to something new.

• 1 month later...

Well, there are people with forums of over 100,000 posts and hundred of members that are provided free service.

A small update, we have 173 members (would have over 200 but I delete the spammers). We now have over 10,550 posts. Plus, we have a new look:

We turned six months old today.

We now have over 10,550 posts.

Doing the math, I see that (7) people (majority of the mods and admins) posted 9,246 of the 10,550 posts! about 88%. . . looks like some better recruiting/discussions something needs to be done. :rolleyes:

Anywho. . .congrats on the 6 months! :P

We only have four mods (including me)?

My context was goofed up, but I should of said of the 7 people who posted the most, the majority are mods and admins.

Still a good achievement, but still a long road ahead before you really capture a grab forum community.

Editor, how did HAIF start out?

Mostly by accident. As an experiment I added the forum to the HAI web site. I played with it for about a week and then got distracted and forgot about it. Six months later, I noticed it on the server and was going to delete it to clean things up. Fortunately, I looked at it first and discovered that it had something like 500 members and 10,000 posts all on its own.

HAIF has always grown organically, and I'm proud of the people on this site for making it what it is. I try to merely prune the weeds and provide guidance.

Archived