What are the big differences between Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston?

to add a little bit more info

i graduate from college next yr, and im looking to get out of florida.

i am SICK of hurricanes.

looking for a nice big city, not TOO conservative(meaning lots of hot freaky babes), where i can go to law school and then stay in afterwards.

I like the thought of city living, but dont know if any of these cities would really qualify. I know atlanta does in some areas, not sure about the rest....

You may want to come stay for a while before you move. I too am from Florida. Houston is quite concervative and void of "hot freaky babes". I lived in Miami and Orlando and I have never seen so many out of shape people in my life. Check out Memorial Park for the chance of seeing in shape women.

Dont panic people its just my opinion...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
personally, despite dallas' claim to be the largest, i think atlanta has the brightest future, as far as infill development.

Do they have the brighest future as far as infill development because they have more to infill than Dallas and Houston. Both Dallas and Houston have always been a bit more dense in the city core and a bit outside the city core than Atlanta. Wouldn't we say that Atlanta is catching up to make it seem they have the brightest future?

You may want to come stay for a while before you move. I too am from Florida. Houston is quite concervative and void of "hot freaky babes". I lived in Miami and Orlando and I have never seen so many out of shape people in my life. Check out Memorial Park for the chance of seeing in shape women.

Dont panic people its just my opinion...

My friend you must be living under a tree to think that Texas isn't full of beautiful women. As I'm known to have said a million times, I'm a traveling musician and I see women from all over the country, and I'm here to tell ya that Texas women are among the best in the country, if not the best. I'm in Southern Florida about twice a year and there are certainly quite a few hot women, however I wouldn't trade what they have for what Texas hasn NO WAY.

Do they have the brighest future as far as infill development because they have more to infill than Dallas and Houston. Both Dallas and Houston have always been a bit more dense in the city core and a bit outside the city core than Atlanta. Wouldn't we say that Atlanta is catching up to make it seem they have the brightest future?

as far as density, yes dallas and houston are more dense, but atlanta has more residents downtown (even when you exclude public housing), entertainment venues and options, etc...

but in the same respect, you may be right, they may just be catching up.....i will have to do the research to see. that was only my opinion

Atlanta has more downtown residents because they built a larger UNIVERSITY downtown. It's not like UH at Downtown, but more like UH's main campus Downtown. Atlanta is just catching up because Dallas and Houston are both more dense than Atlanta, but Atlanta is catching up, but probably won't surpass.

My friend you must be living under a tree to think that Texas isn't full of beautiful women. As I'm known to have said a million times, I'm a traveling musician and I see women from all over the country, and I'm here to tell ya that Texas women are among the best in the country, if not the best. I'm in Southern Florida about twice a year and there are certainly quite a few hot women, however I wouldn't trade what they have for what Texas hasn NO WAY.

No big deal. I have no idea what you are attracted to but the only place I see athletic in shape women is at Memorial park. In Miami there is a flood of beautiful women. Even though most of them are crazy and unapproachable.

No big deal. I have no idea what you are attracted to but the only place I see athletic in shape women is at Memorial park. In Miami there is a flood of beautiful women. Even though most of them are crazy and unapproachable.

Hang out in Downtown on a Friday or Saturday night, and tell me the place isnt crawling with drop dead georgous women, everywhere. They are not just in downtown, they are all over the city. How can you say Memorial Park is the only place with them? Sheesh, that would mean you have thouroghly been throughtout the city, completely, multiple times, to make that kind of conclusion.

I just got in from Dallas a few hours ago and right now, the big difference between it and Houston is that Dallas is brown and crispy and Houston is just the opposite. It's so dry that it smells like hay outside. The last time I was there before this week was in early December and it was pretty much the same way.

You know, I really don't sweat in humidity. The only time I sweat is when I work out. I step outside for five minutes up there and my back and ankles are sweating.

Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth are so much alike. Chain restaurant

after chain restaurant after chain store after chain store; same ones we have here; way too many KB-esque homes, billboards, etc. Like most other big cities, I'm sure.

The only real immediate noticeable difference is that Dallas is slightly hilly with hardly any trees and Houston is flat with many trees, plus palm trees and other tropical plants. The only palms Dallas has are Motel 8 and Taco Cabana.

When you're in both places just within hours of each other, and you think about all the rivalries that take place here and elsewhere, you can't help but think about how silly it all is. But you know, it's always been that way it and it will continue and I'm sure I'll be involved in some as well. We'll continue to pick apart the differences so what can you do? It's all good.

Dallas gets a star for letting me have a couple of good hair days.

I talked to my Dallas buddy last night. He said the current heat wave was killing him...108 yesterday, I think he said. He was on vacation in Palm Beach last week, and all the Floridians were complaining about the 94 degree weather, basically Houston weather. My buddy kept telling them he thought it was a nice cool day, compared to Dallas the last 10 days.

Hope the weather breaks for you guys soon.

Houston is flat with many trees, plus palm trees and other tropical plants. The only palms Dallas has are Motel 8 and Taco Cabana.

My wife and I went to Jamaica last year. I thought it was a beautiful tropical paradise.

However, I was struck by the number of tropical plants growing at our resort that are also common to Houston. I had never realized before just how tropical Houston is...

I talked to my Dallas buddy last night. He said the current heat wave was killing him...108 yesterday, I think he said. He was on vacation in Palm Beach last week, and all the Floridians were complaining about the 94 degree weather, basically Houston weather. My buddy kept telling them he thought it was a nice cool day, compared to Dallas the last 10 days.

107 Tuesday, 103 Wednesday, 104 Today. This heat wave has gripped almost the entire nation. Not Houston though, it is has had a colder than normal July while Dallas has had a warmer than normal one. LA was 107 a few days ago, South Dakota was 120! I've been working outside all of these days in Dallas and the most oppressive times to be out there (for me) were a couple mornings with high humidity, basically ~90F with a ~70

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bp.../skinniest.html

Hmmm, looks like everyone's been working hard to rid Houston of the title of "Fattest City"!

Wow, that's very interesting. Despite our high crime, poor education, low wages, and many restaurants, bars, and movie theaters, our cancer-related and cardiac-related mortality rates are amazingly low in comparison with the other cities on the list. Its as though we're nothing but a bunch of poor hedonistic immortals.

Wow, that's very interesting. Despite our high crime, poor education, low wages, and many restaurants, bars, and movie theaters, our cancer-related and cardiac-related mortality rates are amazingly low in comparison with the other cities on the list. Its as though we're nothing but a bunch of poor hedonistic immortals.

Wasn't the fattest city analysis something as silly as how many fast food restaurants there were? I don't know where that latest analysis gets it's data from, but BMI is a MUCH better measure of health than the distance to the nearest fast food shop.

jason

Wasn't the fattest city analysis something as silly as how many fast food restaurants there were? I don't know where that latest analysis gets it's data from, but BMI is a MUCH better measure of health than the distance to the nearest fast food shop.

jason

You are correct. The 'fattest city' thing was a bogus analysis.

is it just me, or does it seem dallas and atlanta have more cooleges?

dallas - unt, uta, utd, smu

atlanta - ga tech, ga state, emory, w georgia

houston - UH, rice

???

UNT is in Denton. UTA is in Arlington. Both are NOT in Dallas. Not even in Dallas County. But you did omit UoD and Paul Quinn College in Dallas.

As to Houston, you forgot HBU, UST, TXSouthern, and STexCollege of Law

As to Atlanta, you forgot Morehouse and Spellman.

UT-Arlington isn't in Dallas proper, but it's only a short 10 mile drive from my house.

So I take classes there and claim it as a "Dallas" instutution.

Ah....no. It is in Tarrant County. If anyone gets to claim it, that would have to be Fort Worth. But seeing that the University of Texas system has identified it as being "the University of Texas at ARLINGTON", I think Arlington gets to claim it. Just being in the metroplex does not mean that something automatically gets to be claimed as part of the overall "Dallas" universe. Prairie View A&M is similarly located in an adjacent county to Harris County, yet I doubt you would necessarily hear any Houstonian claim that it was in "Houston"; although a good number of its students commute to classes there from Houston proper.

If you want to get technical University of Texas at Dallas is not in Dallas either. :o

Jason

Neither for that matter is The University of Dallas.

Ah....no. It is in Tarrant County. If anyone gets to claim it, that would have to be Fort Worth. But seeing that the University of Texas system has identified it as being "the University of Texas at ARLINGTON", I think Arlington gets to claim it.

That's debatable, as before I was transferred to Dallas, I got tons of DFW literature and many times Arlington identified itself as a Dallas surburb. From what I've always heard, Arlington has had a history of wanting very little to do with FW and has always attached itself to Dallas. Personally, I can't stand the place, but this isn't the thread for that.

. . .and Dallas.

OK. And SMU, Tulane, and UT are in Houston. At least all three have "branches" here...

That's debatable, as before I was transferred to Dallas, I got tons of DFW literature and many times Arlington identified itself as a Dallas surburb.

It is indeed. But Arlington is lumped into FW's statistical area and is completely in Tarrant County whose seat is in...Fort Worth. The debate would definitely be commuting patterns which favor Dallas...and DFW Airport, whose pricipal operations are also located in...Tarrant County. The literature you cite is typical in that it exposes the assumption that anything in the metroplex is part of the "Dallas" universe, and therefore either no one elses or not on its own.

... anything in the metroplex is part of the "Dallas" universe, and therefore either no one elses or not on its own.

That's a prideful perception which generates a lot of interesting anti-Dallas lip service. The negative spin is uncommon in Atlanta although there seems to be more city-lable 'sharing'. It's a geographically small city, Atlanta, and the name is used all the time to identify people, places and things which are not in the city - but rarely does "Atlanta" get accused of unrightful claiming. I'm just guessing it's the same with Boston, Miami, and a bunch of other places.

In the past, Dallas and Fort Worth were more evenly scaled cities, and an identy tied to either city was a much more important regional marketing position. But starting in the 70s, Dallas started to become the dominant city for business. When the TV show got all popular, it's like all things North Texas came with the Dallas Label. Even though downtown neighborhoods spent more than half of the last generation of the 20th century in hibernation - the only significant positive occurance was the emergance of a highly organized Gay oriented neighborhood (that's a big deal, too) - the record breaking growth and expansion in Dallas' satellite cities still identified with Dallas.

Archived