Overpass At FM 529 & Highway 6

Parrothead

I read on Copperfield's website that there is a proposal to build an overpass on Hwy. 6 at FM 529. Does anyone know anything about it? I can't get up to Copperfield to view the papers anytime soon, and I can't seem to find out any info on TXDOT or Google.

It would be great if they could do something like 1960 & 249, LOWERING the road instead of an overpass. That sort of goes against Friendswood's original scheme, I would think.

Anyone live there and care to comment?

Sounds like a good idea.

I wonder if they have any plans for a toll road connecting 529 to the West Loop?

529 stops at Beltway 8 and 290 and doesn't get as far as 610. There are plans in place to build a toll road along Hempstead Road...so the answer is yes...kind of.

I think that the idea of building a toll road or parkway format would be great for the 529 corridor...unfortunately, I don't envision it as a near-term reality. You might try checking HGAC's regional transportation plan to see if anything is proposed for that corridor.

529 stops at Beltway 8 and 290 and doesn't get as far as 610. There are plans in place to build a toll road along Hempstead Road...so the answer is yes...kind of.

I think that the idea of building a toll road or parkway format would be great for the 529 corridor...unfortunately, I don't envision it as a near-term reality. You might try checking HGAC's regional transportation plan to see if anything is proposed for that corridor.

The only plan 529 may have is one of those "Smart Streets". I can't see it happening soon, though. The constables make too much money pulling people over on a 6-lane, 45 mph roadway that is not heavily developed (except for a few key intersections).

Probably not for many many years. Currently, it passes directly through the center of Giddings, and if they built a new freeway, it would have to get directed around Giddings, not unlike the Hempstead bypass for the 290 expansion in the 1990s.

• 10 months later...

my barber is by the overpass on Highway 6...the center isn't as dead as folks think as there are 4 to 5 businesses in the strip center that are doing well

as for 290 being expanded to Austin...I suspect the state cut side deals with towns like Giddings and such to develop the downtowns with improved roads instead of bypasses....Bypasses have killed Waller's downtown....

makes no sense you can't reach the capital city from the state's largest city on a freeway....

my barber is by the overpass on Highway 6...the center isn't as dead as folks think as there are 4 to 5 businesses in the strip center that are doing well

as for 290 being expanded to Austin...I suspect the state cut side deals with towns like Giddings and such to develop the downtowns with improved roads instead of bypasses....Bypasses have killed Waller's downtown....

makes no sense you can't reach the capital city from the state's largest city on a freeway....

Which overpass?

I believe there will be a freeway all the way to Austin one day, and in order to build it there will have to be bypasses built or have the freeway come straight through their towns.

They have mad some improvements on 290 between I think Breanham and Giddings or Giddings and Elgin.

The trip from Houston is not bad Except that part where the highway is not devided.

the overpass I'm referring to is right past 290 going south on Highway 6....the businesses that are there (under the ramp) have their own niche and don't really rely on your typical traffic flow to stop out the blue....

• The title was changed to Overpass At FM 529 & Highway 6

Archived