Cuban Restaurants in Houston

Hello

Living in California, there are not a lot of great Cuban restaurants (with the exception of Felix Cafe in Orange!) What are some of the best Cuban Restaurants in Houston? I like some of the dishes at El Meson in the Village. Also, this last weekend I was in Houston and I tried the Latina Cuban Cafe on Fairview in The Montrose area and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Incredible Ropa Vieja! Any other suggestions on good Cuban food?

p.s. I also went to Spanish Village on Almeda for Mexican. I used to eat there years ago but it seems this time the food has gone downhill. Anyone else notice this or did I just go on a bad day?

I took my wife to Cafe Miami when we were first married. She got sick and vowed to never eat Cuban food again (she wouldn't even try the Cuban sandwiches in Key West).

A Cuban friend tells me to go to Cafe Piquet, says it's by far the best in town. He says he wouldn't take his dog to eat at Cafe Miami.

Unfortunately I got that news a few years too late. My wife still won't go to Cafe Piquet, unless they start cooking something other than Cuban. One of these days I'll have to go solo.

I think the best cuban restaurant is Latino Cafe located on Fairiview near S. Shephard. It was built in the parking garage of an old house and used to have a cuban food market next door. Opened by cuban family that imigrated from Cuba to the U.S. Has been open I believe over 32 years...

I think the best cuban restaurant is Latino Cafe located on Fairiview near S. Shephard. It was built in the parking garage of an old house and used to have a cuban food market next door. Opened by cuban family that imigrated from Cuba to the U.S. Has been open I believe over 32 years...

I completely agree with Mainvoice,

I have been to Latino Cafe many times. It is fantastic. Give it a try, if you like Cuban food you will not be dissapointed.

There are two more I know of that are mentioned quite often.

Cafe Miami and Cafe Piquet. Both are supposed to be quite good.

Cafe Piquet on Bissonnet is an excellent choice for typical Cuban.... You can't go wrong there. My favorite are the Empanadas and the Ropa Vieja.

I also love Bossa's food Downtown.... and the mojitos of course.

p.s. I also went to Spanish Village on Almeda for Mexican. I used to eat there years ago but it seems this time the food has gone downhill. Anyone else notice this or did I just go on a bad day?

Cheese enchiladas are great. rest of food is mediocre. like most mexican restaurants, they have one or two good things rest are mediocre.

I took my wife to Cafe Miami when we were first married. She got sick and vowed to never eat Cuban food again (she wouldn't even try the Cuban sandwiches in Key West).

A Cuban friend tells me to go to Cafe Piquet, says it's by far the best in town. He says he wouldn't take his dog to eat at Cafe Miami.

Unfortunately I got that news a few years too late. My wife still won't go to Cafe Piquet, unless they start cooking something other than Cuban. One of these days I'll have to go solo.

I'm with your wife on this one. Cafe Miami is not good. Piquet is probably the best out of those mentioned. For me personally, most Cuban side dishes are too bland and things start tasting the same. Kind of like bad Indian cuisine.

Edited by musicman

Hello

I still go, mostly for the margaritas. Everywhere else they taste too sweet. The Village has never had earth shattering Mexican, but the fried chicken is great!