Raveneaux Country Club

mrfootball

Rumors that Raveneaux Country Club is being re-developed with a new conference center and clubhouse. Old clubhouse mansion to be torn down and 9-holes (out of the original 36 hole golf course) to be developed into luxury patio or townhomes. Anyone know anything about this?

There's also a hi-rise development planned called Chateaux Raveneaux (see model below), spearheaded by the original developer of Champion Forest, Don Hand:

3022-6.jpg

3022-3.jpg

http://www.modelshop.bc.ca/porty2/file/3000/3022/3022-1.htm

Here's another look from the developer's website. It appears to differ from the model above with 3 separate towers, rather than one big one:

http://www.tkvw.com/chateaux/

http://www.chateauxraveneaux.com/floorplan...k_elevation.pdf

The story in the neighborhood is that Raveneaux filed for bankruptcy. The rumor was they were forced into it by a land development group that bought a note and accelerated their payments on the loan which Raveneaux was unable to make. Some company now has either controlling interest or a very large interest in the club and they are making improvements. Currently they are reconstructing the old course. The rest about tearing down the clubhouse and such is still up in the air. They've revealed some drawings that show a multi-story building with a pro shop on the first floor and conference / hotel rooms on the next floor. Above those will be condos. Realtors in the area do not beleive the condos will market well. Either way, they have not firmly announced the clubhouse changes. The place is in shambles. It needs a complete renovation. The chairs by the pool are all beat up, the pool itself needs resurfaced and the dining rooms are old and smell like mold.

As far as Chateaux Raveneaux, the sign has been up forever and is rotted and falling down. They had a little office on Cypresswood that's been closed down for over a year. I don't think there's ever been much interest.

Unfortunately due to 1960 the whole Champions area is not what it use to be. I think the Kickerillo development of the 249 area will help.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

This project is a "Go"!

A flurry of activity as construction crews and earthmovers are on site, pipes being laid, trunk lines, foundation, etc.

As far as Chateaux Raveneaux, the sign has been up forever and is rotted and falling down.

FYI - Big new sign at the corner of Louetta and Champions Forest Dr.

I have been driving past this site which is now moving forward and have been wondering if it was actually this named project. Since that sign has been sitting there for years, and the property looked so unattended for years I wonder if this actually is these residential condos, or just another strip center being put in by a developer who bought the property.

Condos.

Very nice condos.

This property is owned by Don E. Hand, who created Champion Forest and is considered one of the 'fathers' of the FM 1960 area (along with Kickerillo and the creator of Champions).

People who don't know the area don't realize that it is one of the nicest parts of the Houston area, with beautiful homes, trees, great schools and some of the highest Household Incomes in Harris County (a top 10 zip code for avg HH income).

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some info I googled up...one from the website which appears under construction, the other from a recent Cypress Forest Public Utility District (Champion Forest area Water district) meeting:

"From our Greatroom to Guest Quarters, from our elevated covered parking to our expansive fitness and recreational facilities, Chateaux Raveneaux is a luxury resort experience that you can call home."

http://www.cyforestpud.com/meetings/minutes/2006/Jun606.pdf

RECEIVE UPDATE ON CHATEAUX RAVENEAUX PLACE HIGHRISE CONDOS, CONTRACT FOR CONSERVATORY SENIOR LIVING DEVELOPMENT AND FUTURE DEVELOPMENT

Mr. Joubran updated the Board on activities related to the construction of trunk lines to serve the Conservatory Senior Living Development and future development included in Bond Application No. 9. He reported that C.E. Barker, Ltd. has been issued a Notice to Proceed with a start date of June 9, 2006, and a term of 60 calendar days. He stated that the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has notified the District that the application for release of escrowed funds to pay for this construction is administratively complete. No action was taken by the Board.

• 4 weeks later...

I attended a meeting at Ravenneaux last night. Tony Kindred (owner) has partnered with a venture capitalist/real-estate developer in an effort to redevelop the club. They stated that given the cash flow that Ravenneaux has right now, the club has three years left before it would need to shut its doors. The partnership presented their redevelopment plan which is primarily a residential development with a golf course/spa/fitness center at the core. The residential development is all multi-family with brownstones as the primary residence option. A couple muli-level condo units and new clubhouse with premium condos above it are also in the plan. Additionally, the plan contains redevelopment of the golf courses.

If they receive annexation from the PUD, they will begin the brownstone development. They are in the $450 - $700,000 range and will line Cypresswood Drive. The brownstones are architected by the same firm that architected the brownstones on the Woodlands waterway. If they do not get annexation from PUD, they will be forced to develop the land as retail as the current utility structure will not support anything else. The new clubhouse will be developed ONLY if they pre-sell 70% of the condo units that are above the clubhouse. So, even if they receive approval by the PUD, but do not pre-sell 70% of the units, they property will become a large residential development with no club.

The debate was heated with at least one very active real estate agent forming a group to discourage the PUD from annexing the property. I'm not exactly sure what she feels is a better option. She is a resident of Champion Forest across the street. I guess she thinks it's better to be REALLY close to a Walmart.

Hmmm, I think I would rather have a $450K-$700K Brownstone across the street than more crappy retail. I realize residents who enjoyed the Golf Course view (and likely paid good money for it) would understandibly be upset, hopefully they'll be able to come to a compromise that makes everyone happy without adding more stinking retail. I think it would be a great idea redevelop Raveneaux into more of a 'Destination'...I think they could also use a Conference Center.

Was Don Hand there by any chance?

FYI...I also confirmed that the Chateaux Raveneaux project is not begining. At this point, they have not presold enough units to obtain financing. The activity at the corner of Cypresswood and Champion Forest is for the assisted living facility that is under construction further down on Cypresswood.

No, Don Hand was not there. At least I don't think he was.

Yes, the planning of the new clubhouse includes conference rooms and hotel rooms as well. The hotel rooms are catered to those visiting the club for weddings, spa use, etc...

I thought it was a fabulous use of the space and I liked the business model. I was in the minority though. I am skeptical of the price of the brownstones. I don't think the NW area is positioned to steal the inner loop crowd that would be in the market for a 450-700K 4-story brownstone. But, it worked in the Woodlands. The real estate agent who was against the redevelopment made it quite clear that those would not sell and they would end up constructing cheap townhomes.

No, Don Hand was not there. At least I don't think he was.

Must've been busy finishing off that forest... :angry:

I think they could sell at $300-$400k....I'm not sure about $700k though you never know, a luxury resort spa, and the proximity to what is expected to be good shopping at Vintage Park might help the upper end pricing...especially if the development group lands a major corporate tenant (ie. Exxon Mobil) and they locate a good number of high $$ jobs to the area. All of the homes across from Raveneaux are $1 Million +.

How much are the 'stones' going for in the Woodlands?

Are these proposed brownstones for the south side of Cypresswood and west of Raveneaux? Also, does anyone know what the condos at Chateaux Raveneaux are proposed to sell for? They look nice. I don't know if this is exactly the place for that sort of buyer, most of us are the house type. The older area residents tend to move to the patio homes in the area when they downsize but condo? I don't know. I would hope they did some sort of feasibility study before proceeding? It looks like a large project, just not sure where the buyers will come from. I tried to click the link to see the floorplans, but it wanted a password (great way to try to sell a house...especially a house that won't sell).

Well, I think they might go over well being near the golf course. There are people who are either work-a-holic professionals or older people who seem to like not having a yard (I don't understand this at all) to maintain that this sort of thing appeals to...not too mention the allure of golf.

I think what may propel this thing is the likelihood of several big corporate tenants relocating to new buildings in the Vintage Park area. This, along with the proposed changes to the Raveneaux business model, would certainly help fuel demand for this sort of thing. The amenity package in this area will improve dramatically over the next 2 years (assuming we still have some trees).

I just don't know about all this condo business. Don't get me wrong I love a nice beautiful condo complex, but is this really the type of area that would support that sort of housing? It just seems rather out of place, granted we have the courses, but would this be enough to fill something like Chateaux Raveneaux? Timber Top is such a rare beast in the area which is what makes it special. Having a few might not be a good thing. This place looks like it will be big. Our area appears to draw more folks looking for single family, do you have any idea as to the number of units the property will have? Price...that would also be nice to know. Trust me, I'm not knocking it, if I felt it was sellable I might be interested for an investment.

Archived