1295 Pinemont Dr

1295 Pinemont Dr is a 43,746 sf property on 1.0043 acres in the Candlelight Plaza neighborhood. It's near the Garden Oaks and Independence Heights neighborhoods.

Located on the corner of Pinemont Dr and Ella Blvd, 1295 Pinemont Dr is adjacent to Pinemont Shopping Center at 1205-1265 Pinemont Dr. It's also near Hartz Chicken Buffet at 1215 Pinemont Dr.

A gas station and convenience store was situated on the property in a 3,111 sf building. 

pngXdGW.jpg

OpTeK8K.jpg

Below are parcel maps of 1295 Pinemont Dr. Although the property is adjacent to Pinemont Shopping Center at 1205-1265 Pinemont Dr, it is not apart of the retail center.

Pinemont Shopping Center is owned by Quasar Ella/Pinemont, Ltd. 1295 Pinemont Dr is owned by ALD Mail Pro, LLC. 

Parcel map with parcel address

WpCkKrj.jpg

Parcel map with street addresses included

MSdzaHg.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

February 2023 Street View of 1295 Pinemont Dr.  

Gas station and convenience store Handi Stop was located here.

rFKAnFW.jpg

zsuyLyk.jpg

December 2022 Street View

YtzKfSO.jpg

February 2023 Street View of Pinemont Dr and Ella Blvd

WVmxhro.jpg

February 2023 Street View of Ella Blvd

4Xrs1jl.jpg

December 2022 Street View of 1295 Pinemont Dr

SKHH0Zx.jpg

PRp6IfO.jpg

v3UPssJ.jpg

5oByNlG.jpg

J5I40TB.jpg

Rv4Bfuc.jpg

fIN7YMV.jpg

Uqspmu1.jpg

ur5HnSQ.jpg

iF3Mgvm.jpg

TXIBP45.jpg

aV7Jzxr.jpg

Mt0QepM.jpg

Last year, an architectural barriers project pertaining to Swift at Ella & Pinemont was filed.  According to the filing, the landowner plans to build a Swift gas station and convenience store on the property.

The addresses on the filing is 1285 Pinemont Dr, but it's 1295 Pinemont Dr.

Details for the TDLR filing:

• Project Name: Swift at Ella & Pinemont

• Start Date: 12/1/2022

• Completion Date:  12/1/2023

• Estimated Cost:  $1,200,000

• Type of Work:  New Construction

• Scope Of Work:  Convenience store with motor fuel station. The build out includes cashier, office, restroom, deli, utilities, walk in cooler, beer cave, display area and none other.

• Square Footage:  7,924 sf

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2022009504

16 hours ago, RayG08 said:

This has been happening over the last few days. 

Demolition permit was issued for 1295 Pinemont Dr last week. 

In place of Handi Stop, Swift is going up here. It will be a new build.

ELmjTl6.png

The plan review permit filed last year for 1295 Pinemont Dr:

7,924 sqft new shell building future retail

BoSCAR1.png

4 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

Originally a fast food restaurant named King Olaf's Roast Beef. Owned by National Convenience Stores, it only operated for about 3 years. It was one of three locations, and was the only one NCS chose to keep, converting to a Stop n Go.

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing. 

I take it Olaf's Roast Beef Sandwiches was similar to Arby's back then?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing. 

I take it Olaf's Roast Beef Sandwiches was similar to Arby's back then?

Of course! The research I have would support the comparison to Arby's. Not an exact clone either though, they were "Danish Themed".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

Originally a fast food restaurant named King Olaf's Roast Beef. Owned by National Convenience Stores, it only operated for about 3 years. It was one of three locations, and was the only one NCS chose to keep, converting to a Stop n Go.

Wow, I had no idea this was ever anything but a convenience store. When I was in junior high/high school, I had a friend and fellow classmate that lived nearby in Shepherd Park Plaza, and we'd frequently drop by that Stop N Go whenever I was hanging out at his house.

Any idea of a rough timeframe that King Olaf's occupied it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Wow, I had no idea this was ever anything but a convenience store. When I was in junior high/high school, I had a friend and fellow classmate that lived nearby in Shepherd Park Plaza, and we'd frequently drop by that Stop N Go whenever I was hanging out at his house.

Any idea of a rough timeframe that King Olaf's occupied it? 

Yes, I'm actually working on a page to add onto the blog eventually. In the meantime though, It was King Olafs from 1969-1972. It was the first location to open, and the second to close. It was briefly a Village Pizza Inn, and a Stop N Go by 1973. There's almost nothing online about King Olafs except for a matchbook on eBay. A good comparison of how it looked prior to the C-Store conversion is the Webster location. https://goo.gl/maps/zYKrxrsvF7dWcrsy5

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

Yes, I'm actually working on a page to add onto the blog eventually. In the meantime though, It was King Olafs from 1969-1972. It was the first location to open, and the second to close. It was briefly a Village Pizza Inn, and a Stop N Go by 1973. 

That makes sense. I never patronized the Stop N Go until probably 1979-80. It's entirely possible I drove by it occasionally with my family when it was still King Olaf's or Pizza Inn, but I have no recollection of ever having done so. 

• Like 1

The webster location looks much larger than an Arby's.  'Danish themed' - I wonder if they tried open-faced Scandinavian sandwiches like Nielsen's Deli did when they first opened (1952?, 1962?).  

PS - I have seen much larger Arby's in other parts of the country.

• Like 1

There is uproar on Next Door regarding the removal of a tree at 1295 Pinemont Dr.

In a post earlier this week, a member shared photos of a tree uprooted on the property. For some reason, the post was in the West Houston Heights page instead of pages for neighborhoods in or much closer to Garden Oaks and Oak Forest.

I'm not sure of the exact date the tree was removed, but it seems it's a recent development. 

Below is the post from Next Door:

This is easily a 100+ year live oak. It is absolutely massive. It’s been broken into pieces and ripped out of the grounds it came from. To think there’s probably a million things that could have been done with it and instead it’s wasted and going to the dump. 

Even as it is, it’s probably still alive but dying a slow and painful death.

https://nextdoor.com/p/bLdm-WgdjNYc

One person claimed the tree isn't as old as the poster claims. 

Most recently, Handi Stop operated at 1295 Pinemont Dr before closing its doors a few months ago. The gas station and convenience store on the corner of Ella Blvd was demolished this year. In its place will be a new gas station and convenience store built from the ground up. According to filings, including alcohol permits, Swift is opening at 1295 Pinemont Dr.

Behind 1295 Pinemont Dr is the Pinemont Shopping Center.  The retail center includes units at 1205-1265 Pinemont Dr and 5104-5128 Ella Blvd. It was also the former home of Houston Community College Pinemont Center / HCC Pinemont Center.

Despite its proximity to Pinemont Shopping Center, 1295 Pinemont Dr is not part of the retail center.

11 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

There is uproar on Next Door regarding the removal of a tree at 1295 Pinemont Dr.

In a post earlier this week, a member shared photos of a tree uprooted on the property. For some reason, the post was in the West Houston Heights page instead of pages for neighborhoods in or much closer to Garden Oaks and Oak Forest.

I'm not sure of the exact date the tree was removed, but it seems it's a recent development. 

This is easily a 100+ year live oak. It is absolutely massive. It’s been broken into pieces and ripped out of the grounds it came from. To think there’s probably a million things that could have been done with it and instead it’s wasted and going to the dump. 

Below is the tree the Next Door post on the West Houston Heights page is referring to.

The photo was posted last week by @RayG08. It's the tree circled in the photo. The tree is located on the 1295 Pinemont Dr property.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

nBV1HnL.jpg

15 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Photos included in the Next Door post pertaining to the tree removal at 1295 Pinemont Dr. 

In recent weeks, the Handi Stop gas station and convenience store on the property was demolished. Replacing Handi Stop at 1295 Pinemont Dr is a new Swift gas station and convenience store. 

ADIWbXG.jpg

XhU1XIw.jpg

wNxfEpL.jpg

pyM1h3v.jpg

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Several permits were filed yesterday for 1295 1/2 Pinemont Dr. According to the permit it's for "commercial site work/utilities for future c-store (convenience store) w/deli."

As previously mentioned, the site is home to a forthcoming Swift gas station (1295 Pinemont Dr) and convenience store.

Development review permit:

JM9lbRu.png

Residential Sidewalk, Driveway permit:

8nFocXY.png

Grading and Filling permit:

ZfmThdh.png

Impact Water Fee permit:

TUjmOW1.png

Paving permit:

LIqI0WR.png

• 3 weeks later...