Dallas Will Host 2007 Nhl All-star Game

slfunk

Dallas will host 2007 NHL All-Star game

12:32 PM CST on Monday, January 23, 2006

Associated Press

"DALLAS -- The Dallas Stars will host the 2007 N-H-L All-Star game at the American Airlines Center.

The league announced today that the game will be played on January 24th next year at the American Airlines Center."

"...It'll be the N-H-L's first all-star game since 2004...."

• 2 weeks later...
This will be a good chance for Dallas to showcase the Victory Park development - many components will be open by then, and several others near completion.

I will try to be as respectful as I can, but I feel that Atlanta got screwed in the worst way. The NHL SHOULD have given them first dibs with no questions or proposals needed after what the NHL did to them before (name Atlanta the host of the All Star Game, then go on strike the next year.) If I were the tax collecton of Atlanta, I'd look for legal action.

As for Dallas, I think it will be a classy and well hosted All Star Game (wouldn't expect anything less from the big D :) ). Do you think Victory Park will be 100 percent complete by then? Cause if not, why couldn't they have pushed for the All Star Game 2008?

• 2 weeks later...

As just mentioned, several key aspects of the Victory Park development will be complete at the time of the NHL All-Stars game, but many components will still be under construction.

I had a similar thought - would it have been better to just wait until more surrounding development is complete? I am not sure of the answer to that question, but I suspect that the components that are complete will create a very good impression, and any construction under way will just be a sign of more to come.

Anyway, these signature events (e.g. All Star Games, Tournaments, even Super Bowls) are a "one time event" that are usually forgotten as soon as the next one happens. They are a great opportunity to make a good impression (or a bad one), but may not have a major long term effect.

I suspect that the All-Star game would likely be just as successful without any of the development - it is the hockey game itself and, secondarily, the arena that really matter. However the visiting media will likely notice, and hopefully appreciate, the surrounding development and perhaps give some nice press to Dallas.

Archived