George Dentler's Pier 21 Restaurant At 7001 Old Main Street Rd.

Highrise Tower

I know there was an address change for this restaurant.  I also believe there was an ownership/management shift as well. George Dentler's Pier 21 had a location at 7001 Old Main Street Rd. and then the address changed to 7001 Fannin St.

While browsing Ebay I noticed something new. At one time the restaurant was named Jack Landers Pier 21.  What exactly was Jack Landers involvement? He was the first owner?

Pier 21 "World's Finest Seafood". 

Also, didn't Captain Benny's Oyster Bar also have a boat in their restaurant? Who was first to involve a boat as their restaurant?

XkdLVVU.jpg

LZMLI4F.jpg

sJPNDQM.jpg

jYw8X3y.jpg

BW7Ldrn.jpg

The address change may be a change of street name rather than a move by the establishment.  I'm sure there's some discussion on HAIF about Old Main Street Road.

Never heard of Jack Landers.  I came across something on the Dentler family while looking up something for another post of yours recently.  I'll look at it again.  The George Dentler of Pier 21 was the son of the George Dentler who had the Dentler Maid potato chip company.

The original Capt. Benny's was a boat, a real shrimp boat hauled up from the coast from what I've read. Plopped down on a shell lot at the corner of S. Main/Holcombe, hole cut in the side for a door and a bar and cooler installed inside according to my brother back then, who frequented in the early days.  The web site said 1967 but I thought it was earlier than that.  Still, I'd imagine Pier 21 predates it.  

There also the possibility of some other seafood restaurant in Houston using a boat or boat replica as part of their building.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

A photo of patrons inside the restaurant!

January 5, 1950.

Lovers of good food, superbly prepared, have a habit of finding it at famous Pier 21, 7001 Old Main Street Road, owned and managed by Roland Busch.  Famous people who visit Houston head for this restaurant to feast upon such solid delicacies as Maine lobsters, oysters, a la Rockefeller, Williams K-C- steaks, the country's finest. Pier 21 can accommodate 327 guests, has a private dining room available for parties up to 125. Shot shows a section of main dining room. 

fZ4ksly.png