Hermann Hospital - built in 1925, maybe 9 stories, looking at the picture. The other bldg. was named Autry House (built in 1921), built as a socializing house for Rice students, was 3 stories, was on what is now Fannin St. , says was next to the streetcar stop. Thnx again AIA - Architectural Guide, S. Fox.

The Rice Administration Bldg. (1912) is now referred to as Lovett Hall.

Also mentions a smokestack for the powerplant , dating to 1912. Looks like it is located to the right of the entrance gates, far back.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

I believe the bldg. to the right in the photo (beautiful Life mag. shot) is the original Hermann Hospital Bldg, not a Rice Campus Bldg. Notice, it's a very wooded area.

On second thought, I may be wrong, I do recall an original Rice Campus - Spanish style bldg. that sits in that general area. Is it Lovett Hall?

It's one or the other.

One 1920 map I just referenced shows a train trolley track paralleling S. Main, turns at Bellaire, southern border of Rice Campus.

If you refer to the larger view of the topo. map provided by Sevfiv (post #2), you can see the S. Main track changing course slightly between the two circle figures at the Hermann Park entrance. I think this is the train track seen in the bottom of the Life picture. I veers a little crossing the roads, and straightens out again.

I think you are correct about the building in the photo being the original Hermann Hospital. At first, I thought it was Lovett Hall, but, looking closer, the architecture doesn't match.

Bellaire was not the southern border of the Rice campus. The southern border was where University Blvd is now located.

In this 1921 photo, you can see in the upper right corner what was referred to as the "Toonerville Trolley", a one-car shuttle that connected with the streetcar line at Eagle Street. The large white structure in the center is the Autry House across Main St. from the Rice campus.

Trolley-1921.jpg

• Like 1

I was refering to the 1921 photo near the beginning of the thread. 

There is no doubt that the buildings in the 1921 photo are all associated with Rice. Just look at both the topo map and the Rice plan map. There is no doubt that the building in the center of the third pic, with the Trolly car is Autry House between Main and Fannan.

And there is no doubt that the building at the far right side of the Life photo is Rice Univ. Lovett Hall.

END OF STORY

• The title was changed to Autry House At 6265 South Main St.

I was looking at old The Rice Thresher issues and I saw a whole bunch of adds for this building.

Here's the description:

Autry House is located across Main Street from Rice University and is now part of Palmer Episcopal Church. The building was originally a donation from the family of James Lockhart Autry II and served as an important social space for students before the Rice Memorial Center was built.

https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/68351

Photo from 1921:

Q4UdiiN.png

Adds from various Thrasher magazines with dates:

The Last Drop Coffeehouse - January 22, 1970.

SE9Uuds.png

The Refectory at the Autry House - January 25, 1991.

7ghMWRK.png

Hungry people eat at Autry House - September 23, 1965.

lJEjuM2.png

St. Bede's Chapel - September 23, 1965.

l7YcuBl.png

• 3 weeks later...