East River Golf Course & Restaurant

Pretty amazing the turnaround there has been in participation in golf.  A bunch of course in the Houston area closed or turned into frisbee golf hybrids after participation dropped off in a big way with millenials.  But the big hitters like DeChambeau and Koepka and the fact that golf was one of the few safe activities during the pandemic have caused a massive surge in participation.  I do see a lot of 20 somethings out playing and socializing over golf.  Something like this is great because it lets serious players work on short game while playing with people who would not be ready for 18 at Memorial (not sure anyone is really ready for 18 at Memorial).  The only par 3 course in Houston is Melrose Golf Club in North Houston.  It could be a nice place to practice and play, but the greens are completely destroyed and there are dogs running around the course all the time.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

Pretty amazing the turnaround there has been in participation in golf.  A bunch of course in the Houston area closed or turned into frisbee golf hybrids after participation dropped off in a big way with millenials.  But the big hitters like DeChambeau and Koepka and the fact that golf was one of the few safe activities during the pandemic have caused a massive surge in participation.  I do see a lot of 20 somethings out playing and socializing over golf.  Something like this is great because it lets serious players work on short game while playing with people who would not be ready for 18 at Memorial (not sure anyone is really ready for 18 at Memorial).  The only par 3 course in Houston is Melrose Golf Club in North Houston.  It could be a nice place to practice and play, but the greens are completely destroyed and there are dogs running around the course all the time.  

I think the last time I was at Melrose had to be over 15 years ago. considering the state of it back then, I'm shocked it's still a course today.

and to call it a par 3 course it generous, it's more of a pitch and putt. if I recall, the longest hole was barely 120. I think I even used a lob wedge from the tee box on one of the holes.

anyway, Houston could do with some more par 3 courses, for sure, especially ones that have lighting to allow for night play. 

I miss hackberry.

38 minutes ago, 77011transplant said:

I don't know very much about it - could someone explain to me how environmentally friendly and cost effective having a golf course in our climate is? We get lots of rain and the grass must get scorched in the summer...

I would take a golf course over a strip mall and concrete any day.  Of course, an open prairie filled with native grasses is better for the environment than a golf course.  But Bermuda grass is pretty good at beating the heat without needing a ton of water.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1