El Gato Coffeehouse At 508 Pecore St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created December 18 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly).  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming soon.

Pictures of 508 Pecore from Loopnet:

nc6PlsG.jpg

8nImmY7.jpg

This was originally posted December 18, 2016 in the previous thread for 508 Pecore St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

El Gato Coffeehouse, Houston's first cat cafe, is moving into the Heights. More about their move to 508 Pecore from Houston Business Journal:

Houston's first cat cafe has found a home.

El Gato Coffeehouse plans to operate at 508 Pecore St. in the Heights, owner Renee Reed told the Houston Business Journal. The cafe is expected to open in April or May.

NiaMoves, a yoga studio, owns two buildings on property and will lease about 1,150 square feet to El Gato. That space will be designated the "cat lounge," where patrons can eat food, sip drinks and play with felines. The lease is expected to be signed Dec. 19.

Outside the cat lounge, food and drinks will be prepared in a 53-foot-by-8.5-foot white shipping container. The city's health department required El Gato to separate its food/drink area from its cat area in an unprecedented move to accommodate Houston's first cat cafe, Reed said.

"They joked that by the time I get this open, I could consult for the city," she said.

Houston-based Argus Coffee Co. is expected to provide the coffee. A variety of menu items will include empanadas, cakes and cookies. Houston-based Sinfull Bakery is expected to supply some sweeter items.

Reed plans to hire about 10 people to staff the cafe.

El Gato is not a place to bring cats. The cafe will operate as a place for adopting and socializing cats — Reed announced in June the cafe had teamed up with the Houston Humane Society.
Cat petting also benefits humans by reducing blood pressure and lowering stress, she said.

"Even for those that aren't cat people, I'm sure we'll be able to convert them," Reed said.

Numen Development LLC is the project's designer and is in charge of securing a shipping container, among other duties. An architect has not been named. El Gato was represented by broker Chuy Terrazas, and NiaMoves represented itself.

This was originally posted December 18, 2016 in the previous thread for 508 Pecore St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Rendering of the El Gato Coffeehouse shipping container:

Food and drinks will be prepared in a 53-foot-by-8.5-foot white shipping container. The city's health department required El Gato to separate its food/drink area from its cat area in an unprecedented move to accommodate Houston's first cat cafe.

4Vkcc6H.jpg

This was originally posted December 24 2016 in the previous thread for 508 Pecore St. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

More about El Gatto Coffeehouse opening at 508 Pecore from The Leader:

The founder of Houston’s first “Cat Cafe” signed a lease for a free-standing cottage at 508 Pecore St. in the Heights Monday, Dec. 19. Owner/founder Renee Reed targets May of 2017, for the cutting-edge concept’s grand opening.

The yoga studio NiaMoves operates in a second building on the property, and acts as Reed’s landlord for the 1,150-square-foot cottage. El Gato Coffeehouse and cat lounge will offer coffees, lite bites such as empanadas and sweets from Houston-based Sinfull Bakery and JodyCakes. Then there are the stars of the show – live, adoptable felines.

“The city of Houston’s health department requires that we maintain a separate space for food preparation from the cats themselves,” Reed explained. “So we are also leasing a portion of the lot to bring in a shipping container where the food and beverages will be prepared.”

The 53-foot-by-8-foot shipping container will host a serving window. This is the “cat cafe” portion of the concept. Customers will be invited to take their food and beverages to the “cat lounge” located in the cottage across the parking lot.

There will be two areas inside the cat lounge. The first is a sort of observation room designed for watching the kitties from behind a glass partition. The second choice of seating is in the room with the cats themselves. Here, people can eat, drink, and play with the felines. There will be a small cover charge for admission into this portion.

“The cover charge is the only way to make the business model sustainable,” Reed stated.

http://theleadernews.com/new-cathouse-to-open-in-the-heights/

This was  posted April 17, 2017 

El Gato Cat Cafe is opening next month.

From Eater Houston:

Hanging out with cats and drinking coffee is a natural pairing, which is why the cat cafe has been so popular in the United States and beyond. Space City might be a little late to the trend, but the city will soon have its very first spot to chill with adoptable felines while consuming plenty of caffeine.

Via its website, El Gato Coffeehouse has announced that it will officially swing open the doors at some point in May.

...A representative for El Gato Coffeehouse tells Eater that the concept will operate two spaces, The Cat Cottage and a full-service coffeehouse housed in a separate structure that will open for full service in June.

https://houston.eater.com/2017/4/17/15323762/houston-cat-cafe-opening-el-gato-coffee-house

From May 17, 2017:

El Gato Cat Cafe is open.

From Houston Press:

Houston's first cat cafe, El Gato Coffee House, opened just last week in a small cottage tucked away off Pecore in the Heights. Well, it's softly open anyway, which seems appropriate for a business involving many a furry friend. But really what that means is that a separate structure housing an actual coffee bar is still forthcoming this summer.

When the separate shipping container coffee shop opens, it will also be accompanied by a catio — yes, a cat patio — where visitors and the resident cats can bask in the sun (or shade). But for now, the main cottage area— which does offer cups of coffee free with admission — is open and ready for some major cat hang sessions.

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/el-gato-coffee-house-opens-in-houston-heights-9425449

gjATv9M.jpg

5fMjF0k.jpg

HPEZ7Dk.jpg

• The title was changed to El Gato Coffeehouse At 508 Pecore St.

Archived