Light Rail

Talbot

Just a question. Are there bike racks at the stations? I only rode once and didn't look for any. I think they need to encourage more bike riding in this town and should provide sheltered bike racks. I think a lot of people would ride a bike and take the rail if they were given some incentives.

The current Metro light rail build-out schedule is as follows (years listed are the years in which service is schedule to start, taken from Metro's web site):

2009: North Extension (University of Houston-Downtown to Northline Mall)

2010: Southeast Line (Downtown to Griggs at Loop 610)

2011: Harrisburg Line (Dowling to the Magnolia Transit Center)

2013: Westpark Line (Wheeler Station to the Hillcroft Transit Center)

This is the "First 10-Year Program" of the 25-year Metro Solutions program.  Nothing is scheduled yet beyond the four extensions above and of course this schedule is subject to change due to funding, litigation, etc.

http://www.ridemetro.org/motion/solutions/plan/tenyear.asp

-Eric

Looking at the map, it seems that all of the lines are planned for the depressed neighborhoods: Northline, Sharpstown, Third Ward, RiverPark. It seems that the city is hoping rail lines would revive these areas.

If you look at it from a slightly differently, you will note that these areas are where people depend on metro for their way of getting around.

It will be a bonus if these are will revitalize before or after rail is implemented.

Ricco

Just a question. Are there bike racks at the stations? I only rode once and didn't look for any. I think they need to encourage more bike riding in this town and should provide sheltered bike racks. I think a lot of people would ride a bike and take the rail if they were given some incentives.

No, there aren't, but if you notice the fences in the middle of the stations are perfect for attaching a bike. I have done it numerous times, and the Metro police don't mind.

No, there aren't, but if you notice the fences in the middle of the stations are perfect for attaching a bike.  I have done it numerous times, and the Metro police don't mind.

Why leave your bike at the MetroRail station? Except during rush hours, bikes can be taken on the trains.

I know I'm kicking a dead horse, but why not extend to Uptown first?

Glen

I know that seems logical, but downtown-Uptown has not been considered a corridor in as much need of an upgrade from the existing bus service as some of the other routes that are due to be built first.

I know I'm kicking a dead horse, but why not extend to Uptown first?

Glen

Because as Ricco mentioned, the planned routes go through areas in which there is greater need for mass transit and ridership is expected to be higher. The Galleria area just isn't a priority in that respect.

Why leave your bike at the MetroRail station? Except during rush hours, bikes can be taken on the trains.

I didn't know that, and that's great. But can you imagine 50 people with bikes on the train? And the fence? That sounds like it would start looking a bit "ghetto" if hordes of people started doing it.

I can't believe they didn't put bike racks in. With all the hoopla about getting people out of cars and creating a modern, hip, 21st century mode of transport, it sounds like they totally were asleep at the wheel.

There should've been beautifully designed racks is excess at each stop, thereby not only adding to the aesthetics of the station but also making a statement to each one who would notice them that bikes are an option to consider. I think that would've started the ball rolling a bit.

They need to create some and retrofit them.

You can bring your bikes during non-peak hours (i.e.) when not crowded. you're supposed to go to an area where the seats fold up for the handicap and squeeze/stand there if it is a bit crowded.

Segways are also welcomed onto the metrorail as well, FYI.

In regards to bike racks, you might want to mention that to Metro or the Mayor. I'm sure some accomidation/recommendation could be done.

Ricco

I don't have the information in front of me, but I THINK (someone correct me if I'm wrong, which I think I am) there will be a line to follow washington out of downtown to the NW Transit Center and then head south towards the Galleria (not sure of the exact alignment, but I think it will follow the freeway, most of the way so it would be an "express") and then head down to westpark.

Ricco

That is one of the alighments. The other is to cross buffalo Bayou and ride on existing rail right of way were the tracks have been removed. This will keep the alignment north of the I-10 and make it reall easy to get to the northwest transit center. Also this alignment would have the light rail pass under Sheperd- Durahm and T.C. Jester. TxDOT also has some right of way in the area and is in talks with Harris County Tall Road Authority to extend the proposed toll along Hempstead Highway to I-10. Every plan for this toll-road includes plans for passenger rail along it wether it be light or commuter rail.

This keeps in line with the Wespark Toll Road having leave some right of way on the south side of it open to future rail usel. This is the main reason the for many of the unusual designs along the toll road

Speaking of bike racks, has metro added them to the buses yet? If not, weren't they supposed to?

It was part of the Metro Solutions plan. Some of the 40 ft. New Flyer buses do have bike racks but I've yet to see one carrying a bike. Right now there are so few buses with the racks that nobody uses them because you have no clue whether the bus that comes will have one or not. The Metro Solutions plan included bike racks on all buses, but from what I've read it's going to be a while before that happens. Apparently money is tight enough right now that bike racks have been considered a lesser priority to other projects in the plan.

I didn't know that, and that's great. But can you imagine 50 people with bikes on the train? And the fence? That sounds like it would start looking a bit "ghetto" if hordes of people started doing it.

I can't believe they didn't put bike racks in. With all the hoopla about getting people out of cars and creating a modern, hip, 21st century mode of transport, it sounds like they totally were asleep at the wheel.

There should've been beautifully designed racks is excess at each stop, thereby not only adding to the aesthetics of the station but also making a statement to each one who would notice them that bikes are an option to consider. I think that would've started the ball rolling a bit.

They need to create some and retrofit them.

I didn't realize you could take bikes on the train. Every time I've been on they've seemed too crowded to bother. Metro probably figures there's not enough demand to support the expense of bike racks. I don't think I've ever seen more than one other bike at a station. Actually the little fences in the station are better for locking up a bike than the standard bike rack.

http://www.ridemetro.org/motion/lrt/bike%20safety/bonr.asp

Guidelines and Rules for Cyclists

Whether you�re an avid cyclist or a recreational rider, METRO helps you go the distance for commuting, running errands or exercising along the rail line.

For additional information check out the Houston Bikeway Program.

METRORail Bicycle Guidelines

* Two bicycles per train car are allowed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and after 7 p.m. on weekdays and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.* However, to ensure the safety of METRORail customers when the train is crowded, METRO Police or METRORail personnel may restrict bicycles from being brought on board.

* Cyclists under the age of 16 should be accompanied by an adult.

* If cyclists violate METRO policy, they may be asked to remove their bicycles from the station areas, platforms or trains.

* Cyclists are responsible for their own bicycles and all actions, injuries, losses and/or damages resulting from their bicycles in station platform areas and on board trains.

* Groups may request approval for an exception by contacting METRORail Operations at 713-982-8108 at least one week in advance.

Types of Bicycles Allowed On METRORail

* Standard bicycle size restrictions are as follows:

80 inches long

48 inches high

22 inches wide (maximum width)

* Bicycles must be free of debris and excess grease, dirt and sharp objects. Motor-powered recreational vehicles of any kind, tandem bicycles, tricycles and bicycles with training wheels are not permitted.

* Bicycles that are folded or disassembled and enclosed in carrying bags are deemed "luggage" items and are permitted at all times.

Bicycle Rules At Stations/Platforms

* Cyclists are prohibited from riding bicycles in the station areas, corridors, on platforms, or in any covered areas.

* Cyclists must not cause an inconvenience or possible injury to other customers.

* Bicycle storage racks are located at the following stations:

o Fannin South

o TMC Transit Center

o Wheeler

o Downtown Transit Center

Any bicycle found at other METRORail Stations will be subject to removal by METRO Police.

* Cyclists must always cross to the station platform at the designated crossing.

* Cyclists should always wait for the train behind the white warning strip and should not allow their bicycles to interfere with passengers on the platform.

Bicycle Rules On Board Trains

* Cyclists must wait until all passengers have cleared the doorway before moving their bicycles in or out of the train.

* If available, the on-board location for cyclists and their bicycles is the mobility-impaired/senior seating area. This space allows the cyclists to fold back the seats so their bicycles can be placed out of the aisle.

* Cyclists must remain with their bicycles and hold them firmly at all times, kickstands up, and not allow them to lean against other passengers or any part of the train (including but not limited to poles, seats or doors) nor block any seats or walkways.

* If a mobility-impaired or senior customer boards the train, cyclists must give up the nearest mobility- impaired seat and move to another location.

* In case of an emergency evacuation while on board a train and/or upon direction of METRO Police, METRORail personnel, or any law enforcement or fire official, bicycles should remain in place and be left on the trains.

Bicycle Safety Around METRORail

When riding your bicycle near the rail line, it is important to remember that METRORail trains travel along the street and are very quiet. Stay alert and always follow these safety tips:

* Never stop on the tracks.

* Cross the tracks only at designated crossings and only when it is safe to do so.

* Look both ways before crossing the tracks. Trains travel in both directions.

* Pay attention to and obey all traffic signs and signals. Never enter an intersection against the traffic lights. Police will issue tickets to violators.

* Listen for train whistles, bells and horns.

* Never ride or walk your bicycle around crossing gate arms.

* Never race a train or try to beat the train to a crossing.

To learn more about METRORail safety and bicycles on trains, contact METRO Police Community Outreach at 713-615-6464 or 713-615-6449.

I decided to just put the information on here, since Metro's website has a tendency to be a bit chaotic to some people.

Note that there isn't bike "parking" allowed outside from the main Rail Transit Centers, which I think is a big mistake.

While there is little room to allow bicyclists to lock up their bikes at the smaller stations, perhaps a solution can be found as far as an "ID" on a bike or simply put racks on the sidewalk near the stations themselves (preferably just across the street or on the corner of the station).

Ricco

I decided to just put the information on here, since Metro's website has a tendency to be a bit chaotic to some people.

Note that there isn't bike "parking" allowed outside from the main Rail Transit Centers, which I think is a big mistake. 

While there is little room to allow bicyclists to lock up their bikes at the smaller stations, perhaps a solution can be found as far as an "ID" on a bike or simply put racks on the sidewalk near the stations themselves (preferably just across the street or on the corner of the station).

Ricco

I think we should get some kind of online petition, where we would be able to collect member's electronic signatures possibly, and submit them to Metro, in this case, but in general to whomever, whenever we have a suggestion. That way we can actually influence our city, not just talk about it.

I have no idea how to do this.Editor?

Perhaps it would be best to have an actual petition started here and let it flower out to groups who are in bike clubs and let it sprout from there.

I don't think putting spots for bikes is being totally unreasonable.

Ricco

Archived