Door-to-door Salespeople

pineda

Okay, school is definitely back in session, and the fundraising is already at a fever pitch. You name it, they're selling it at my kids' schools: candy, fruit, nuts, meat, greeting cards, candles, cookie dough, kolaches, etc. Almost every class my high-schooler is in (and there's seven classes this year) is selling something to offset the lack of funds available to them. So, we are getting a lot of kids knocking on our door! We personally don't believe in sending kids door-to-door or worse, on streetcorners, to sell this crap. We just ask how much our contribution to whatever program needs to be and write the check. Anyway, this next bit takes the cake. Doorbell rings, and someone is banging (not knocking, but banging) on the front door. I'm expecting some little kid, but no, a grown man standing there in dirty clothes asking me if I want to buy some "wholesale meat" from the full-size freezer sitting in the back of his beat-up pick-up truck. I tell him I'm not interested, and he says, "Damn, what's it gonna take to get you people to buy this damn meat?" and walks off back to his truck. O-kay....

Just wondering, what is the weirdest thing someone tried to sell to YOU door-to-door?

Back before I moved to Houston and was working in my father's business, we used to get the wholesale meat in the freezer in the back of the truck at least once a month. Sometimes we'd get a similar thing with produce, like oranges or grapefruits. But this guy sounds pretty desperate to unload that meat. A little too desperate.

I never buy things from people on the street. Kids always come up to me and want me to buy candy for their school project. Why should I? I don't know anything about your club/team/sport/church, so why would I give you money? It's especially tragic when you see these tiny children weaving in and out of traffic begging for change for The First Mount Cavalry Holier-Than-Thou Baptist Church of The Presumptuous Assumption. For all I know they could be devil worshipers or serial dog molesters.

It's strange to me that parents who bring Halloween candy to the hospital for X-rays will blithely feed their children candy bought from some guy on the street.

And why are schools and churches teaching our children to be beggars? Or are they just preparing them for their anticipated future?

I don't think I've ever had someone try and sell me anything weird except meat out of their pickup, but when I was a kid and in band..in Georgia we had to sell grapefruit. I knew kids that sold hundreds and hundreds of boxes. These grapefruits were huge too, I think now as an adult, the result of doing so many fund raisers in middle and high school has made me hate selling things in general.

Archived