K231CN "La Nueva 94-1" Houston

Purpledevil

Noticing a much improved signal from the 94-1 translator these last couple of days. Lo and behold, the Christian Center has filed and, as of March 21st, has been granted its License to Cover for 99 watts @ 300 meters, directional towards the NW. Clean signal here in the 4-4, however it is still broadcasting in mono.

With the much improved signal up here, I'd think it behoove the Pastor to light up the stereo pilot. As always, reception reports welcome; it should be reaching Jersey Village and IAH receivers with little effort. Southward I've no idea, as it has a pretty significant null south and southeast.

http://fccdata.org/?facid=93460

Was down south a couple days ago near Rosharon.  Good signal from all the Houston translators 104.5, 98.7, and 106.1.  94.1 however, was a bunch of static with a Beaumont station trying to come in.  By the way, in Rosharon I had a really nice view of KGOW!   See

Well someone must've passed along my posting, because suddenly and mysteriously K231CN is now lighting up my stereo indicator. That certain someone really works fast ;)!

Nice pic, Joe. The back story here, for those that don't know, is the illustration you're viewing, courtesy of Joe, shows an array that cost a significant amount of money to build for an insignificant amount of listener shares within the market. 

Acres Home. The major Metro bus line that runs through the area is the #44, and as a result, the "4-4" is used to identify the neighborhood within the community. I've heard it referred to as such since I was a young man, and that's been quite a few years ago now. When Metro revamped the system, the #44 was one of the few lines that didn't change the heart of its route. I guess Metro realized the significance of the line being identified with Acres Home for such a long time that they left well enough alone. It's an oldtimers thing, much like me and my generation still calling Independence Heights "Studewood", or the neighborhood around Cavalcade and North Freeway "Monte Beach". That's just what I grew up knowing the places as, and still use them to this day.

Heck, there's another one. Newer Houstonians know them as 45, 290, 610, and 8. They'll always be the North, Northwest, North Loop, and North Belt to me because that's what they originally were and what I associate them as. Same for South Park Boulevard, N. & S. 69th St., and Stuebner Airline Rd. You know them better as what they are currently are: M.L.K., Sgt. Macario Garcia, and Veterans Memorial Drive.

I'm old, Señor, and old habits die hard. Besides, right by my house, Stuebner Airline still is Stuebner Airline. The 2 lane section between Tidwell and Lil' York never changed because it no longer connects to the major section of the road that passes by the Veterans Cemetery due to the North Freeway disconnecting it off directly in front of Denny's..which, btw, is still addressed as "Stuebner Airline" although it faces the southbound feeder road of 45.

8 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

It's an oldtimers thing, much like me and my generation still calling Independence Heights "Studewood", or the neighborhood around Cavalcade and North Freeway "Monte Beach". That's just what I grew up knowing the places as, and still use them to this day.

The civic club still refers to it as Montie Beach:

http://www.montiebeach.org/

as does the wretched hive of perpetual suspicion and petty disagreement that is Nextdoor, although they prefer the variant "Montie Beach/Brooke Smith". 

Well see, the latter is what most younger people my son's age tend to call it, and is also the name you see on the sign in the median as you travel down Cavalcade, "Brooke Smith". My son has a friend that lives on Walton and needed a ride home a few months back. When I asked where he lived, he responded "**** Walton". I said "oh, you live over in Montie Beach" which caused an absolute dumbfounded look to creep across his face. He'd never heard the neighborhood referred to as such, and he's in his early 20's. I thought that I shown just how out of touch I was, but apparently it's all on him. Thanks for that, mkultra. Makes me feel just a little less old. :lol:

19 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

Well see, the latter is what most younger people my son's age tend to call it, and is also the name you see on the sign in the median as you travel down Cavalcade, "Brooke Smith". My son has a friend that lives on Walton and needed a ride home a few months back. When I asked where he lived, he responded "**** Walton". I said "oh, you live over in Montie Beach" which caused an absolute dumbfounded look to creep across his face. He'd never heard the neighborhood referred to as such, and he's in his early 20's. I thought that I shown just how out of touch I was, but apparently it's all on him. Thanks for that, mkultra. Makes me feel just a little less old. :lol:

Yeah, I suspect the younger people have had "Brooke Smith" permanently imprinted as a direct result of seeing those median signs innumerable times while traveling back and forth to the D&T Drive Inn on Enid. :)

Archived