The Capital - Cairo...building a new capital

This will be something to keep an eye on for sure.

Cairo wants to build a new capital just to the east of the current Cairo and it is very ambitious, of course.

If anyone can find video footage showing the real life model as opposed to renderings, please post. It was more impressive than the renderings I have seen.

http://thecapitalcairo.com/index.html

Now if we can just get Regent Square going, we might get the same kind of attention ;)

Very smart political move by the Egyptian government. The decades this new capital city will take to build will ensure jobs for decades to come. An employed population is a happy population.

From what I remember, this will only take a few years, not decades to build. Crazy, I know.

From what I remember, this will only take a few years, not decades to build. Crazy, I know.

Wow, you're right! 5-7 years according to some articles! Ambitious to say the least.

China builds skyscrapers in less than 3 weeks.

Egypt hopes to build a new capital city for 5 million inhabitants in less than a decade.

Here in Houston we've spent 15 years debating what to do with the Astrodome... 

...and we still don't know what we're going to do with it.

Wow, you're right! 5-7 years according to some articles! Ambitious to say the least.

China builds skyscrapers in less than 3 weeks.

Egypt hopes to build a new capital city for 5 million inhabitants in less than a decade.

Here in Houston we've spent 15 years debating what to do with the Astrodome... 

...and we still don't know what we're going to do with it.

AAAAND, regent square still hasnt broken ground. well, kind of i guess. And just think, thats a govt agency getting it done that quickly!

Building a new capital in a more isolated area isn't unheard of for less-than-democratic regimes that thrive on corruption and are concerned about uprisings by the millions of people in their historic capitals.  Offhand I can think of Nigeria, Myanmar and Kazakhstan in recent years.  I suspect the underlying motive here is to get the government away from the popular revolts that have hit Egypt in the past few years.

Archived