Just Where Are Those Randall's Trucks Going?

I know where the Randalls distribution center is, I pass it by every time I go to Houston. But there's something else I've noticed, too. On the last past several trips, I've noticed that Randalls trucks are going up Highway 6 north of Hempstead, which is unusual since the other Randalls/Tom Thumbs are in Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin (that's it), so the most logical decision would be I-45 or US-290. 

I eventually came to the conclusion that the Randalls trucks are going to Dallas-Fort Worth, since it would be easier to get out that way, going up TX-6 to Waco and I-35, rather than work their way up to I-45 through Houston.

That seemed logical, and I didn't let it bother me anymore. But today, while waiting at a light just a few miles away from my house, I noticed a Randalls truck going north on Harvey Mitchell Parkway, the not-quite-limited-access road that goes around town. This made it even more confusing, if it was going to 21 to Austin, that's also a pretty rough journey, with some older, curvy roads, lots of lights, a few hard turns (even at FM 60 and FM 2818) and so forth. What the heck is going on? Is there some reason why they're taking seemingly the worse routes possible?

If it's just one truck, two things spring to mind:  Either a reliance on GPS that goes beyond looking at whether the road is suited such a large vehicle (I've read that this can really be a problem in Europe, where OTR trucks get led into tiny village streets), or he blew a turn somewhere and is now trying to work through it.

I live in a resolutely residential neighborhood across the freeway from a light industrial area, and we occasionally have OTR trucks wandering through that have no apparent business there.  

If it's just one truck, two things spring to mind:  Either a reliance on GPS that goes beyond looking at whether the road is suited such a large vehicle (I've read that this can really be a problem in Europe, where OTR trucks get led into tiny village streets), or he blew a turn somewhere and is now trying to work through it.

I live in a resolutely residential neighborhood across the freeway from a light industrial area, and we occasionally have OTR trucks wandering through that have no apparent business there.

Remember, the times I go through I see a variety of trucks and cars, so no two times are the same. First off, it is a major corridor, and I do see the occasional 18 wheeler (beer trucks mostly), so it's not like it's a rare occurrence. I've caught the owner of the microbrewery going to work a few times, too (opposite direction)

• The title was changed to Just Where Are Those Randall's Trucks Going?

Archived