Idylwood Info

johnyb

There are many threads here on HAIF about Idylwood, including past flooding problems (hopefully corrected now with Brays Bayou revamp) and the new Walmart on Wayside and the current "issue" of the botanical garden.

Just use the search box in the upper right corner. 

Likely your Realtor doesn't know the east side that well, and Idylwood is well known throughout Houston as having always been a really nice enclave in the east end that has always had great home values and such.

Depending on what you're looking for, you may want to expand your search to include Eastwood, Broadmoor, EaDo, and a few others. If you already live in Houston, just hop in your car and drive around the neighborhoods to get an idea of what they feel like, and whether that is what you want.

Idylwood is a gorgeous neighborhood.  Sylvan is the one road I would avoid, at least the side that backs up to Wal Mart and then obviously would want to be as far in the neighborhood away from Wayside if possible.  There are flooding problems in certain areas.  Also along the bayou they currently are building bike trails that connect up to Mason park.  

Depending on your budget, In Town homes is getting ready to build some new single family homes in the neighborhood on Meadowlawn, however my guess is they will be close to $500k.

So what's going on with the botanical garden? First I've heard of it....

Never mind, just read the long post about it. I don't care one way or the other, I just don't want more concrete parking lots on previous green space. Idylwood and it's surrounding area is very unique to Houston, and it's integrity needs to be preserved. Glenbrook's, as well. Just glad there has always been a strong civic association to protect Idylwood and one for Houston Country Club Place.

Archived