Projected New Rail Ridership ?

Moore713

Not sure, I remember years ago you could see the studies for the lines on METRO's website and I believe they had the ridership estimates there.   I'd imagine that the North line will eventually have around 25-30,000 riders when it's all said and done.  Might take a couple years for it to reach full ridership potential though.

My guess -- and I admit it's only a guess -- is that the 3 new lines will have very low ridership initially.  I say that because I'm skeptical that there's much latent demand -- not many people both live and work close to the new light rail lines.  Even for connecting living and shopping destinations, I don't think they help many people.  Many of the people I've know who live in those areas work in trades which require them to go to far-flung areas all over the metro area, or else to restaurants or other businesses that are also distributed much more widely.  However, that could change in 20-30 years.  So, I have hope for the future, which requires patience.

I think the University and Uptown lines would generate high ridership numbers much sooner.  Unfortunately, we're in a situation in which political resistance has impeded investing tax dollars where they would have the most immediate and large impact.  Instead, we have elected people into positions of power who have no concept of the problems we will have to deal with in the future; they are only focused on romantic notions of a (imaginary) past in which we were all independent homesteaders, who had no need to cooperate with the community around them.  

My guess -- and I admit it's only a guess -- is that the 3 new lines will have very low ridership initially.  I say that because I'm skeptical that there's much latent demand -- not many people both live and work close to the new light rail lines.  Even for connecting living and shopping destinations, I don't think they help many people.  Many of the people I've know who live in those areas work in trades which require them to go to far-flung areas all over the metro area, or else to restaurants or other businesses that are also distributed much more widely.  However, that could change in 20-30 years.  So, I have hope for the future, which requires patience.

I think the University and Uptown lines would generate high ridership numbers much sooner.  Unfortunately, we're in a situation in which political resistance has impeded investing tax dollars where they would have the most immediate and large impact.  Instead, we have elected people into positions of power who have no concept of the problems we will have to deal with in the future; they are only focused on romantic notions of a (imaginary) past in which we were all independent homesteaders, who had no need to cooperate with the community around them.  

I saw on intinal report from 2009 , that placed ridership at two different numbers, from 7,000  to as high as 15,000 daliy. But then Metro was about to abandon it  and place a BRT line down northmain, but then scrapped that plan once federal funding came thru and they had revised the numbers, but they never released the revised numbers so we dont know it  they where higher or lower...

I have always been confused as to why they did not build the University and uptown line first... They even admitted it would be their highest ridership lines, so why go and build three lines first that you know will have far lower ridership ? To me that that Dallas Dart crap to build and hope the rail sparks economic development in the area ,as oppose to building where theis is the strongest demand.

I saw on intinal report from 2009 , that placed ridership at two different numbers, from 7,000 to as high as 15,000 daliy. But then Metro was about to abandon it and place a BRT line down northmain, but then scrapped that plan once federal funding came thru and they had revised the numbers, but they never released the revised numbers so we dont know it they where higher or lower...

I have always been confused as to why they did not build the University and uptown line first... They even admitted it would be their highest ridership lines, so why go and build three lines first that you know will have far lower ridership ? To me that that Dallas Dart crap to build and hope the rail sparks economic development in the area ,as oppose to building where theis is the strongest demand.

That being said the three new lines are going through low income areas in which many residents depend on public transportation. Ten again since they didn't protest like afton oaks is probably why the lines got/are getting built without any backlash.

The first quarter that the Red Line opened there were only about 12,000 riders a day.  So don't be disappointed if initial ridership numbers are low.  It will take at least a year or two for folks to really start using this thing.

The initial ridership will be low because the rail is going to open before the buses it is supposed to replace gets rerouted.

The 14, 44, 56, 102, 66, 09 and about 5 others are supposed to terminate at northline instead of downtown. Riders would then take the redline downtown.

So for a while the redline while be without these transfers.

The 56 alone competes with the Westheimer and other SW buses for highest ridership. The 56 runs about every 15 mins and is usually packed.

It alobe while ferry 5000 people to the rail. Before a year is out I would expect the ridership on this line would be between 12k and 17k.

The east line should be heavy too. There are tons of buses that head Harrisburg way. These buses are not high on ridership like the 56 or the westheimer buses but the variety and frequency of buses warrants the line.

The SE line in my opinion will have the lowest ridership of the 3. There are a few high ridership buses that go that way but I didn't see plans for metro rerouting them. These buses go to Sunnyside, Southmore/Bellfort/UH etc.

I think they will be like the 11 and run concurrent with the lines.

It will be very interesting once the lines get rerouted because usually underserved areas get better coverage.

The initial ridership will be low because the rail is going to open before the buses it is supposed to replace gets rerouted.

The 14, 44, 56, 102, 66, 09 and about 5 others are supposed to terminate at northline instead of downtown. Riders would then take the redline downtown.

So for a while the redline while be without these transfers.

The 56 alone competes with the Westheimer and other SW buses for highest ridership. The 56 runs about every 15 mins and is usually packed.

It alobe while ferry 5000 people to the rail. Before a year is out I would expect the ridership on this line would be between 12k and 17k.

The east line should be heavy too. There are tons of buses that head Harrisburg way. These buses are not high on ridership like the 56 or the westheimer buses but the variety and frequency of buses warrants the line.

The SE line in my opinion will have the lowest ridership of the 3. There are a few high ridership buses that go that way but I didn't see plans for metro rerouting them. These buses go to Sunnyside, Southmore/Bellfort/UH etc.

I think they will be like the 11 and run concurrent with the lines.

It will be very interesting once the lines get rerouted because usually underserved areas get better coverage.

I do recall hearing something about them building a new bus transit station next to UHD  that would funnel people on to the  northmain line.

Archived