Parking requirements have increased, sidewalks violate ADA act

Slick Vik

I met up with an influential person in Houston planning today, and had a good conversation. He told me that parking requirements have actually increased, because now all apartments are required to build so many guest spaces, adding to the minimum requirements. Also, Centerpoint has a contract with the City of Houston for utility lines, but it violates the American with Disabilities Act in many instances, as is seen many times with poles in the middle of sidewalks all around the city, however the City doesn't have the will to sue Centerpoint though. Also, in the City of Houston property owners are required to build and maintain sidewalks and curbs. So if something happens to your curb or sidewalk, don't bother calling the city, it's your responsibility.

I met up with an influential person in Houston planning today, and had a good conversation. He told me that parking requirements have actually increased, because now all apartments are required to build so many guest spaces, adding to the minimum requirements. Also, Centerpoint has a contract with the City of Houston for utility lines, but it violates the American with Disabilities Act in many instances, as is seen many times with poles in the middle of sidewalks all around the city, however the City doesn't have the will to sue Centerpoint though. Also, in the City of Houston property owners are required to build and maintain sidewalks and curbs. So if something happens to your curb or sidewalk, don't bother calling the city, it's your responsibility.

Did he/she mention if the city actively pursues property owners to maintain the sidewalks?  Seems like some of this should fall under the complete streets initiative.  Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath, the mayor and city council will be serious about complete streets.

Vik your influential person in planning misled you on sidewalks and the ADA.  centerpoint obtains an easement to place poles.  in the instance, METRO chose to obtain the easement to widen the corridor.  at this point, METRO is responsible for moving the power poles out of the old easement.  since they didn't have enough money the poles remained.  to blame centerpoint is wrong.

the city of Houston residents are not required to build and maintain sidewalks and curbs.  there are many areas that don't have them currently.  if they want them, they can petition the city to build them and the neighborhood can pay for them outright OR they could get lucky with a capital improvements shot of funding.  if they have sidewalks currently then yes they want citizens to maintain them.

Archived