America's Largest Domes

H-Town Man

I'm collecting here photos of the large domes in America to compare with the Astrodome. This is in answer to the many people who have said "The Astrodome is a pit," "It's time has passed," "There are bigger better domes now," "Nobody from out of town would ever want to see it." I think these comments are uninformed, and it is a great shame, because a unique structure in the world is about to be lost.

Note - these are domes, not rectangular, retractable-roof stadiums. The dome is a unique, iconic architecture type with a history going back through the Pantheon, the Hagia Sophia, the Duomo in Florence, etc.

The Astrodome, 1965:

astrodome1.jpg

The Louisiana Superdome, 1972:

stretching-in-superdome-uajpg-dd27a0ae00

The Metrodome, 1982:

20080925_metrodome_33.jpg

The Georgia Dome, 1992:

img21826363.jpg

I'm collecting here photos of the large domes in America to compare with the Astrodome. This is in answer to the many people who have said "The Astrodome is a pit," "It's time has passed," "There are bigger better domes now," "Nobody from out of town would ever want to see it." I think these comments are uninformed, and it is a great shame, because a unique structure in the world is about to be lost.

Note - these are domes, not rectangular, retractable-roof stadiums. The dome is a unique, iconic architecture type with a history going back through the Pantheon, the Hagia Sophia, the Duomo in Florence, etc.

The Astrodome, 1965:

The Louisiana Superdome, 1972:

The Metrodome, 1982:

The Georgia Dome, 1992:

Metrodome will soon be torn down and replaced.

Falcons will soon build a new stadium next to the GA Dome and I assume they will eventually have a similar dilemma as Houston with the Astrodome.

The Superdome went through several major renovations to keep it competitive and to prevent building a replacement stadium. Note that after Katrina there were plenty of opportunity and good reason to demolish and rebuild the damaged stadium. Not to mention the constant relocation threats by Tom Benson if a new stadium weren't built. Personally (being a Saints fan born and raised in NOLA) I'm proud of the Superdome and I understand the sentiment for the redeveloping the Astrodome. I wish the Astrodome had the opportunity to get refurbished.

Comparing to the pre-1970s stadiums still being used in the NFL....Lambeau and Soldier Field have gone through several renovations throughout their times. Arrowhead has recently gone through a major renovation. Buffalo has not had a major renovation and there were threats to relocate. However they recently extended their lease with a clause for a $200M renovation or a new downtown stadium. Chargers don't seem to have a renovation plan and therefore are on the verge of relocating. Oakland Colosium was renovated 20 years ago but are still in a similar boat as the Chargers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as much as it sucks to tear down such a classic stadium as the Astrodome, it doesnt make sense unless it has a major regular tenent such as the NFL to bring in enough revenue to justify the renovation costs. So unless Houston is able to score another pro team (NHL??) to call the Astrodome home, it just seems inevitable to tear it down. However, "The Dome" plans looked really cool and would definitey liven up the area and convention space is nice but are we hurting for more convention space?

Sadly it seems as though Reliant Stadium is the blame for the Astrodome's demise. At least Reliant is a beautiful stadium that is still improving (video boards) to keep up with newer stadiums. Just as the Astrodome was the first domed stadium in the NFL, Reliant was the first with the retractable roof. There are many reasons to look forward and to be proud of.

I think the Astrodome dome had more visual impact than any other domed/retractable roof arena that I have seen.  I still remember the first time I stepped out into the seating area and saw the dome on a tour, and it was like "Whoa!"

Until Reliant was built it also had an immense exterior visual presence.  It seemed to dominate the landscape when one approached it from the South Loop.  Unfortunately it lost that sense of scale when it sat next to Reliant. 

Archived