Traces Of Texas

Nate99

Very cool pic.  As a kid, I remember driving from western Houston to visit Gulfgate and it's Sakowitz store, visible on the far left.  I had forgotten that broad patch of grass and trees in the median of US 75.

As I recall, Gulfgate to downtown on the Gulf Freeway (then US 75, now I-45) was a much more attractive drive then than now.   

The exit to 35 that the 58 Chevy is manueveing through became the exit to 610 West once the South Loop was completed. This was a horrible exit as it doubled back in a horse shoe fashion. You also had to wait on the light to turn right onto the old Holmes Road and eventually enter 610 South on the back side of Gulfgate.This wasn't corrected until the Gulf Freeway was upgraded sometime in the 1980's. The whole enterchange is still not up to current freeway design standards, and if you look closely today you can still spot several sections of orginal roadway still in use. But yes, the photo does bring back memories of a more idyllic time in Texas, especially for those who were born and grew up here.

^Ditto. On the Facebook page I noticed attribution to specific people who sent in images but not for others images I saw. Even if the image is in the public domain it's nice to know what/where it's from (or if it's from a personal collection).

• 4 months later...

^Ditto. On the Facebook page I noticed attribution to specific people who sent in images but not for others images I saw. Even if the image is in the public domain it's nice to know what/where it's from (or if it's from a personal collection).

Sorry for the necro bump.  I found this thread ---- and this fascinating forum ---- while googling something else.

I always put the original source in the post if I know who it is. However, much of the time it is simply lost to history.  Also, regarding copyright, my understanding is that copyright can only be claimed by the creator of a work or his legally-designated heirs  and that  everything created before 1923 is in the public domain unless there has been a legally established "custody chain"  that has kept the copyright current over the years since the original creation.

But, as a photographer myself, I'm keenly aware of such considerations and try my best to keep things on the up and up.

Thanks to the original poster for his kindly words.  Texas is indeed a blessing to us all.

Traces

If you want to see an incredible collection of photos showing the construction and growth of the Houston Freeway system -- check out this e-book. It tells that story better than any source I've ever seen. Pay special attention to Chapter 5 and the story of the Loop 610.

http://houstonfreeways.com/

That is a great link. The challenge was fun. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for clarifying and I completely understand the "lost to history" part - it would just be awesome to be able to trace every old image :)

Sorry for the necro bump.  I found this thread ---- and this fascinating forum ---- while googling something else.

I always put the original source in the post if I know who it is. However, much of the time it is simply lost to history.  Also, regarding copyright, my understanding is that copyright can only be claimed by the creator of a work or his legally-designated heirs  and that  everything created before 1923 is in the public domain unless there has been a legally established "custody chain"  that has kept the copyright current over the years since the original creation.

But, as a photographer myself, I'm keenly aware of such considerations and try my best to keep things on the up and up.

Thanks to the original poster for his kindly words.  Texas is indeed a blessing to us all.

Traces

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Traces Of Texas

Archived