My parents next door neighbor got robbed by imitation city of houston workers

Slick Vik

My parents' next door neighbor just told me a harrowing story.

He said two guys knocked his door dressed up as city of houston workers. They said they needed to go to the backyard and look because some utilities needed to be rerouted for some upcoming cable work that needed to be done. So he let them in the backyard. Then when they went to the backyard, the workers said hold on we need to get something from the van real quick. But instead they ran in through the front door and stole passports, checkbooks, and gold.

This happened in Clear Lake. So just please be aware. If you see someone that you don't know at the door, just don't answer. And don't leave any doors unlocked.

I would be very careful telling anyone not to answer their door. if it's a bad guy your showing him that no one is home, and that invites a break in. One of the rules I've learned in my many hours of defense training is to either be armed at the time (a few rules with that), or address the person through your locked door and tell them you have 911 on the phone.

I would be very careful telling anyone not to answer their door. if it's a bad guy your showing him that no one is home, and that invites a break in. One of the rules I've learned in my many hours of defense training is to either be armed at the time (a few rules with that), or address the person through your locked door and tell them you have 911 on the phone.

I've been given the same advice by an HPD officer. I remember about 10 years ago, this woman came to our door. My mom peeked through the peephole and thought the woman was her niece. I was standing nearby. When she went to open the door, the woman tried to force the door open. I was able to force the door shut with my 220 lbs of bulk. The woman then asked if someone by a certain name lived there. I don't know if it was an attempted home invasion or if she was on drugs or what. Years after that happened, a man approached my dad in the yard with some suspicious story about needing money to park somewhere or for a car repair. My dad told him he didn't have any money. Later, the man came back when my dad was gone and knocked on the door. My mom spoke to him through the door. He told my mom that my dad promised him a few bucks and told him to come back later and get the money, which was a lie. She feigned ignorance and said "what's that? I can't understand you. Did you say call the police?" He ran off pretty quick when she said that.

Archived