Highway 99 - Katy Prairie

Highway 99 - Katy Prairie

The photos in this album, below, have been taken during my hikes along the new section of Highway 99 (Grand Parkway) which is under construction from Interstate-10, going north to Highway 290. The general theme is the contrast between human construction and the natural beauty of the Katy Prairie. During this spring season, wildflowers were in profusion, and quite beautiful. Come see the prairie beauty now, before it's gone...

You can view the album, containing 116 photos, here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=JohnRich3rd&target=ALBUM&id=5740989815108729025&authkey=Gv1sRgCP6anLSW2bP6Cg&invite=CN_25JYK&feat=email

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm sorry, I don't know where to put this. It's nowhere near the Katy Prairie, though the KPC has gotten involved. It's a remnant that prairie enthusiasts have lately found and are hoping to come up with the funds to save. I thought the fellow who posted the pictures on this thread might be interested if he ever looks at HAIF. They will need lots more interested people.

The event is happening in like ten minutes, but I post it for the directions. Don't go in winter, when prairies don't look like much.

Here's the website:

http://savecollegepa...airie.ning.com/

Time: November 8, 2012 from 8:15am to 11:15pm

Event Description:

On Thursday, November 8, there will be a field trip to the College Park Prairie in Deer Park for seed collection and general viewing. If you’d like to attend, meet at the prairie at 8:15 am.

SPECIALTY REQUEST FROM KPC: Please help collect Rattlesnake Master, Texas Coneflower, and Liatris seeds for the MD Anderson Project (Fannin and Holcombe). If you do collect for that, just drop them off at the KPC office, 3015 Richmond Avenue, Suite 230, Houston.

Directions: Going north on Luella from Spencer Highway, go passed Princeton, Dartmouth, Lambuth and Brown Lanes, all going only to the right. Turn right on the next street which is E. Amherst Lane. Follow it to its end and then around left and then left again doing a full 180 degree turn. You will then be on East Purdue Lane. Park on the right side of Purdue (the north side, next to the school).

Archived