Houston Time Lapse video

Jax

Thanks guys, yeah I agree it's pretty cool, especially full screen :). I setup a webcam on my roof (it's not public yet) and the webcam has a setting where you can have it upload the image it takes at a given time interval to an FTP server. I told it to give every image a different name based on a time stamp and take an image every second. I let it run for 8 hours, took the whole batch of photos, made a movie in Quicktime at 60 fps, loaded that movie into iMovie and adjusted the speed so it would be a bit faster and that's what I've got.

One thing that stinks about YouTube is they keep blocking or modifying my movies that have music in them due to copyright reasons so I've started leaving music out. :( I can't believe a band or record company would really care if I used a 30 second clip of a song but I guess they do. I have one video with about 15 seconds of audio in it and that one didn't get blocked but the record company gets to put their adds in it now and collect revenue on them - kind of annoying.

I'd like to repeat this with my digital SLR camera for a much higher quality video but the downside is, I don't have an intervalometer and if it started to rain I would have been screwed (the webcam is an outdoor cam so it's waterproof). I've been thinking of buying something like this for my SLR which has an intervalometer built in and also a lightning detector (which is awesome). So maybe if I get that, one day when there's less chance of rain I can try to do an HD time lapse with my SLR.

Yeah that Trigger Trap thing sounds pretty cool. It's not shipping yet though. It has a photosensor that can be used to trigger the camera (for example lightning, or somebody turning on the lights, or the sunrise, or anything you can think of). Plus it has a sound sensor and a laser trigger (you can set up a laser pointer which is aimed at the device and when the laser path is blocked it will trigger), and it has a built in timer trigger which is compatible with the Canon IR remote. Plus you can trigger it off of external devices as well. It should due a really fun accessory. I'm not sure of there's anything like it on the market now but I really want one as soon as they are available.

Jax.. concerning the music. I've had youtube do that to me a couple of times as well.

I have found a workaround that works some of the time - Change the pitch of the song. In your video editor - ever so slightly collapse or expand the song - this will increase or decrease the pitch by a semitone or so.... which is enough to fool the youtube auto song detector.

One of my youtube videos currently has had a Jimmey Eat World song up.. has been up for a year or two now.. and it previously had been removed for copyright violation.

One thing that stinks about YouTube is they keep blocking or modifying my movies that have music in them due to copyright reasons so I've started leaving music out. :( I can't believe a band or record company would really care if I used a 30 second clip of a song but I guess they do. I have one video with about 15 seconds of audio in it and that one didn't get blocked but the record company gets to put their adds in it now and collect revenue on them - kind of annoying.

I deal with this a lot. The last video I uploaded allowed me to keep the song but puts Sony Alpha A77 ads on the video. Go figure...

Archived