Where to Print my Digital Photos

lockmat

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to get this done? Are places like CVS, Walgreens or Walmart good? I live in the northern suburbs on 45 and don't really want to drive into town. My assumption is that these places are fine. I'm only going to be printing in like 5x7's.

Thanks in advance

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to get this done? Are places like CVS, Walgreens or Walmart good? I live in the northern suburbs on 45 and don't really want to drive into town. My assumption is that these places are fine. I'm only going to be printing in like 5x7's.

Thanks in advance

I'd be more inclined to recommend a Kinko's if you want high quality since they would likely have better equipment. If you just want something to keep on your desk and don't mind reprinting every few years, then a CVS or Walgreen's would be just fine.

Notice, I didn't recommend walmart. :)

If all you are printing is 5x7s, go to CVS. They have Kodak printers that use a matte finish. The colors come out much better and fingerprints don't show on the photos after you touch them. DON'T go to Walgreens. They use glossy paper. The colors and the picture are much darker (almost too dark) and if you touch the photo, you get fingerprint marks.

I've printed the same picture at both places to compare, and the difference was dramatic. I'll never go to Walgreens again.

If all you are printing is 5x7s, go to CVS. They have Kodak printers that use a matte finish. The colors come out much better and fingerprints don't show on the photos after you touch them. DON'T go to Walgreens. They use glossy paper. The colors and the picture are much darker (almost too dark) and if you touch the photo, you get fingerprint marks.

I've printed the same picture at both places to compare, and the difference was dramatic. I'll never go to Walgreens again.

I ended up going to Ritzpix.com and getting matte and it's only .99/print for 5x7. The quality seems good, but I'm not real sure since this is the first time I've printed digital photos. I also thought about getting the same photos printed somewhere else for comparison

I ended up going to Ritzpix.com and getting matte and it's only .99/print for 5x7. The quality seems good, but I'm not real sure since this is the first time I've printed digital photos. I also thought about getting the same photos printed somewhere else for comparison

I agree with staying away from glossy photos unless you plan on something special with them. Matte is definitely the way to go.

Thanks in advance

unless you're confident in your ability to fix stuff like exposure and color balance (or if you don't care :-), your best results will come from a place that fixes those things for you. As a moderately serious photog (http://sjalexander.net if you're curious) I highly recommend http://Mpix.com ... their prices are a bit higher than the drugstore or walmart but their services are worth it in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

unless you're confident in your ability to fix stuff like exposure and color balance (or if you don't care :-), your best results will come from a place that fixes those things for you. As a moderately serious photog (http://sjalexander.net if you're curious) I highly recommend http://Mpix.com ... their prices are a bit higher than the drugstore or walmart but their services are worth it in my opinion.

I make brag books for my soccer team each Fall and Spring. Anywhere from 150 to 200 5x7 photos in a season. I use Costco. It is a mat finish and you can choose whether or not to have them auto-correct. I usually tell them not too. I do my own preprocessing. My last batch was 15 cents a photo.

Walgreens has an option for Glossy or Matte. But Glossy is the only option for in-store pickup, Matte has to be mailed.

Its funny, i had the exact opposite experience when printing photos. This was back in 2004 in midtown, when I printed at CVS and didn't like the colors and then printed the same pics at Walgreens and they turned out much better and brighter, to what I expected over the post processing i had done on the photos. Though at the time CVS printed in glossy, so maybe things have changed.

I was printing some photos just for frames and for those I preferred the glossy. I wasn't worried about glare or fingerprints and wanted pop.

I'd avoid Kinkos (FedEx Office) for regular prints these days. It's not what it used to be.

It used to be that a person would make your print and actually put some effort into quality control. Now they just point you to a Sony kiosk in the corner where you do it yourself. You have to pay the machine with a credit card before it will even look at your memory card! There are very few customization options.

I tried it once a couple of weeks ago, and it was pointless. I asked for a borderless 5x7, and it printed a 5x7 in the middle of an 8½x11 sheet of paper. Because the print came from the kiosk, and not from a FedEx Office employee, they have no way to issue a refund or credit for the problem (though I suspect it was one of the FXO employees who loaded the wrong paper in the wrong tray, causing the problem).

Unfortunately, it's just the luck of the draw. I've been to big-time photo stores where the employees don't care and churn out mediocre photos. I've been to chain pharmacies that just happen to have a competent person in the photo lab who does a fantastic job. And the other way around, too.

• 8 months later...

----------------------------------------- Studio Lighting digital camera flash light softbox

Archived