World's Longest Flight

Simbha

According to this report on CNN, the Qantas flight between Sydney and Dallas which is advertised here in Houston (and, I'm sure, elsewhere) was touted as the world's longest flight.

It didn't quite make it...

Again, according to the same report:

It’s a human infatuation that goes for the longest, fastest, biggest and best. The media, hankering to public desire, swallows these superlatives readily.

This was the climate two weeks ago when Australia had a crown of its own: the world’s longest 747 flight between Sydney and Dallas, and the third longest long-haul in the world (Singapore-Newark and Singapore-Los Angeles are longest and second longest).

It’s different today, as the celebrated “flying kangaroo” made an unscheduled landing to refuel.

According to this report on CNN, the Qantas flight between Sydney and Dallas which is advertised here in Houston (and, I'm sure, elsewhere) was touted as the world's longest flight.

It didn't quite make it...

Again, according to the same report:

It's the worlds longest 744ER flight. The longest scheduled commercial flight is between Newark and Singapore on SIA's A345.

Not just Houston. Those ads are all over in Chicago, too. The entire side of a building, plus bus shelters, and buses. I can understand advertising it in Houston, but Chicago? I wouldn't be all that eager to change planes in Dallas for such a long flight, when I can fly through SFO or LAX in less time.

Qantas moved the flight from SFO to DFW because of the One World Alliance between Qantas and American. They're advertising in Chicago to take advantage of all the frequent flyers that are loyal to AA in that town.

Qantas no longer flies to SFO and the LAX flight can do well on O&D passengers whereas the DFW flight will need all the connecting passengers it can get. Finally, LAX is a terrible airport for connections, especially between American and Qantas.

• The title was changed to World's Longest Flight

Archived