A Crappy Census Report on Coastal Counties...

This Census report was recently released and tells us what we already knew about coastal populations...without overtly relating it to pertinent policy issues. So the AP writer that covers Census Bureau issues had to insert something dazzling about it that readers would respond to. What they came up with (aside from a poorly-executed and disjointed article) was a comment from the Brookings Institution (which isn't backed up on its website).

The Brookings Institute hypothesis is that the threat of hurricanes and oil spills will cause population to shift away from the coast.

I'd counter that using counties with even the slightest bit of bayfront (including Harris County) as the relevant geography is too imprecise. A proper metric allowing a reliable and valid comparison would have to: 1) exclude land area that is too far from open water; 2) exclude land area that are submerged, that are wetlands or that are steep to the extent that development of that land are would be infeasible; 3) exclude land area that is statutorily undevelopable, including national and state parks, wildlife preserves, etc.; and 4) discuss differences between coastal areas that are influenced by nearby metropolitan areas, by retirement patterns, or by other economic issues (for instance by the existence of the King Ranch in Kleberg and Kenedy Counties, or the lack of roadway access to significant portions of coastal areas in Matagorda, Calhoun, and Aransas Counties).

It shouldn't be that difficult to conduct a study like this; it can mostly be accomplished with ArcGIS, with existing Census and BLS data, and by interviewing local officials at the County level.

At the end of the day, I suspect that the conclusion would be that people move where jobs are (like Houston, D.C., and NYC), move away from where jobs aren't (like Beaumont and the Mississippi delta), and to pretty places with nice climates. I also suspect that hurricanes matter a tad bit, but not nearly enough to dissuade people from living in coastal areas; higher windstorm insurance rates just translate to lower land prices.

I'm glad that you commented on this because I was wondering what your view on this article.

The findings I thought were incredibly shortsighted in their views into the future.

Like california and their earthquakes, the gulf coast doesn't have an oil spill occuring every year. The hurricane issue isn't that big of a deal, unless you live in N.O.

You just prepare for it like you do a typical Nor'easter or weather event that you're likely to have.

It shouldn't be that difficult to conduct a study like this; it can mostly be accomplished with ArcGIS, with existing Census and BLS data, and by interviewing local officials at the County level.

One would have had to at least graduated high school in order to do what you suggest. Good luck with that. The chron's reporters and most census workers are plain... ignorant.

One would have had to at least graduated high school in order to do what you suggest. Good luck with that. The chron's reporters and most census workers are plain... ignorant.

This was an AP article. And I am a Census worker.

You are a douche.

I said most. Not all. Relax.

No, I'm not going to relax.

You just put your ignorance on display about the AP-Chronicle mix-up, and then laid out a blanket accusation against a majority of my coworkers as being "ignorant". :wacko:

And none of what you said had anything to do with the topic.

You just put your ignorance on display about the AP-Chronicle mix-up, and then laid out a blanket accusation against a majority of my coworkers as being "ignorant". :wacko:

LOL!!!

LOL!!!

I know, at times HAIF is MUCH better than what I read on "Failbook."

You just put your ignorance on display about the AP-Chronicle mix-up, and then laid out a blanket accusation against a majority of my coworkers as being "ignorant". :wub:

Relax anyway.

I dont really care to differentiate between AP and chron when it's the same sloppy low-grade reporting. I dont know any of your coworkers... but I bet I'm right. :wacko:

Relax.

Back on topic...

I think the census report is fundamentally flawed. The gulf coast seems likely to maintain overall population growth.

Relax anyway.

I dont really care to differentiate between AP and chron when it's the same sloppy low-grade reporting. I dont know any of your coworkers... but I bet I'm right. :wacko:

Relax.

Back on topic...

I think the census report is fundamentally flawed. The gulf coast seems likely to maintain overall population growth.

I'll embrace relaxation when you embrace reading comprehension. The Census report did not attempt to forecast population growth; that was an unfounded hypothesis proffered by the Brookings Institute.

I'll embrace relaxation when you embrace reading comprehension. The Census report did not attempt to forecast population growth; that was an unfounded hypothesis proffered by the Brookings Institute.

Great. I missed that part.

Mostly because I didnt read it.

This was an AP article. And I am a Census worker.

You are a douche.

EPIC! This is even better than the time Captain AWACS accused you of stealing his screenname! :lol:

This is even better than the time Captain AWACS accused you of stealing his screenname! :lol:

LOL. I remember that. I think it was the other way around though!

Archived