Just Our Luck? Enron Field, Toyota Center, What's Next?

Simbha

I know. Corporate 'scandals' happen all the time... but not that many with as much national press as these. ENRON Field, TOYOTA Center...

I'd suggest shorting Reliant's stock now. unsure.gif

Well... I don't know how scandalous this Toyota thing really is. What you have is a Japanese car company that's acting no differently than an American company, and it hasn't acted any differently in at least two decades. They reason people are so shocked by this whole thing is simply because they've allowed themselves to be duped into believing the Japanese were more concerned with quality and reliability over profits when in reality they are no different than their American capitalist counterparts. Japan's economy didn't rise to the number two spot in the world by being full of corporations actively practicing responsibility and ethics. The truth hurts and it's made some people realize that in a pure capitalist system, there's no such thing as "the good guys". All that exists are amoral, unsentient machines driven to make money regardless of the human costs.

Well... I don't know how scandalous this Toyota thing really is. What you have is a Japanese car company that's acting no differently than an American company, and it hasn't acted any differently in at least two decades. They reason people are so shocked by this whole thing is simply because they've allowed themselves to be duped into believing the Japanese were more concerned with quality and reliability over profits when in reality they are no different than their American capitalist counterparts. Japan's economy didn't rise to the number two spot in the world by being full of corporations actively practicing responsibility and ethics. The truth hurts and it's made some people realize that in a pure capitalist system, there's no such thing as "the good guys". All that exists are amoral, unsentient machines driven to make money regardless of the human costs.

Wholly agree (thus the single quotes), and very well put. Regarding your comment about Americans being duped into their beliefs about Japanese corporations, I can only say that the grass is always greener (I suppose).

Well... I don't know how scandalous this Toyota thing really is.

I think when the head of a company testifies before a congressional committee, it's pretty safe to call it a "scandal."

That said, maybe AIG and Stanford can sponsor a couple of stadia around town. What could possibly go wrong?

That said, maybe AIG and Stanford can sponsor a couple of stadia around town. What could possibly go wrong?

Anybody know if any high school football stadiums, basketball arenas or waterpolo natatoriums are named after a corporate sponser? Betting on the name of a gaming venue to predict bad stocks may be a better retirement plan than my current plan of hitting the lottery.

BTW, does the Shell Houston Open count against Royal Dutch's chances of eluding future scandals, or is it because they sponsor the event and not the specific golf course they'll be just dandy?

• The title was changed to Just Our Luck? Enron Field, Toyota Center, What's Next?

Archived