Demise Of School Bake Sales In NYC

trymahjong

I'm visiting in NYC and noticed the OP-ART in the Sunday Section of the New York Times deals with the "recently announced ban on most bakes sales in New York City schools" by having "Bake Sale Memory" written by various people--all were charming--

I'm not sure if Bake sale bans are anywhere on HISD agenda but still I was wondering--------What is your best Bake Sale Memory?

I'm visiting in NYC and noticed the OP-ART in the Sunday Section of the New York Times deals with the "recently announced ban on most bakes sales in New York City schools" by having "Bake Sale Memory" written by various people--all were charming--

I'm not sure if Bake sale bans are anywhere on HISD agenda but still I was wondering--------What is your best Bake Sale Memory?

Doesn't surprise me. All it takes is one 'special brownie' to trigger a lawsuit against a sponsoring school district. Additionally, there's an ambiguous tax liability and plenty of room for employee fraud.

Doesn't surprise me. All it takes is one 'special brownie' to trigger a lawsuit against a sponsoring school district. Additionally, there's an ambiguous tax liability and plenty of room for employee fraud.

The main driver behind the ban is an attempt to further limit students' sugar and fat intake - the NYT article I read about it stated that 40% of the city's elementary & middle school students were either overweight or obese. The new policy will also impose controls on what's being sold out of vending machines at the schools.

The main driver behind the ban is an attempt to further limit students' sugar and fat intake - the NYT article I read about it stated that 40% of the city's elementary & middle school students were either overweight or obese. The new policy will also impose controls on what's being sold out of vending machines at the schools.

Right, blame the sugar intake. We used to "intake" lots more sugar than kids these days. I mean real koolaid with the real sweet stuff in it and everything else. The difference is our parents told us to go outside and stay there until dinner. Kids these days are lazy asses with video games and internet, they wouldn't know what to do if left outside for a few hours.

My best BAKE SALE MEMORY---- Ft Bend County Tiger Cubs annual cake sale to raise funds for camping. . . . 50 or so tiger cubs and their families there---our own tiger cub baked a cake he thought would sell chocolate cake chocolate frosting-- plastic dinosaurs dipped in melted chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles and shaved chocolate from a Hershey bar over the rest of the cake. He was excited to see all the other decorated cakes and enthusiastic about the ones he wanted to bid on. The auction started and we were surprised that his cake went up for auction first and got a fairly high price BUT what surprised us next was the fact that the family of ANY cake that was being auctioned bid big bucks to take home their own cake-- no matter what our family bid on the cakes we were outbid-- our little tiger cub was the only one to leave with out a cake.

I forgot to add my best bake sale memory--

my mom worked a full time job with a part-time job afterwards-- still she was assistant brownie leader-- i think because her free time was limited she chose to take oreos and maraschino cherries and caramel squares and dipped them in melted chocolate chips for all the bake sale i remember---- these were always the first to sell-- i wish we had gone into the chocolate covered oreo business.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Demise Of School Bake Sales In NYC

Archived