Will Eastwood Ever Be As Nice As Woodland Heights

What are the approximate boundaries of Eastwood anyways?

East End management district website doesnt list the various neighborhoods, nor can i find a map anywhere. Eastwood Association website is equally unhelpful.

Edit.

Nevermind.. found an old map. Eastwood is smaller and more West than i thought.

What neighborhoods make up the area east of Eastwood -

North of Lawndale and Telephone, South of Harrisburg, from Dumble to Wayside ?

Or is this also considered Eastwood in the broader sense ?

There was a cool map website posted on HAIF some time ago that allowed users to contribute data. I contributed the specific boundaries (as I know them) of Eastwood proper, which is boundaried by Cullen, Harby, Dumble, and Harrisburg (mostly--someone correct me if I am wrong). However, I believe the civic club represents a much larger area, and whether that is good or bad is another topic.

Eastwood-related: This book-in-progress by Billie Mercer just came out in the latest Eastwood Newsletter. I haven't "flipped" through it all yet, but it has potential to be something very neat.

Eastwood Today

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the approximate boundaries of Eastwood anyways?

East End management district website doesnt list the various neighborhoods, nor can i find a map anywhere. Eastwood Association website is equally unhelpful.

Edit.

Nevermind.. found an old map. Eastwood is smaller and more West than i thought.

I've wondered that myself. I know the ECA serves many of the subdivisions along it's "boundaries". My parents home on Clay St. is called East View, it's a small section between Jackson MS and the Collier St. Here's a question, how can a subdivision become part of ECA? Does a petition need to be created? I know there's amembership fee, but does that make you , or the neighborhood part of the ECA?

I believe that once you get over here (on the other side of the RR line that crosses Lawndale) it's no longer considered greater Eastwood. Country Club Place is the northwest quadrant of Lawndale at Wayside, and I believe it's Sunniland to the south of Lawndale (west of the convent) up to 1-45.

I believe that once you get over here (on the other side of the RR line that crosses Lawndale) it's no longer considered greater Eastwood.

So between dumble and the tracks is considered Eastwood ?

There was a cool map website posted on HAIF some time ago that allowed users to contribute data. I contributed the specific boundaries (as I know them) of Eastwood proper, which is boundaried by Cullen, Harby, Dumble, and Harrisburg (mostly--someone correct me if I am wrong). However, I believe the civic club represents a much larger area, and whether that is good or bad is another topic.

Tried searching Haif for this map of which you speak... no such luck.

Those boundaries seem to correspond to the old map i found... which leaves me with alot of other area I thought was considered Eastwood.

If that's the case, then schools would be zero obstacle in moving wherever you wanted. Even if the only obstacle were having to drive your kids out of zone to the better school, it seems the top 2-3 high schools in HISD would be overwhelmed with transfer requests.

And perhaps they are... but there has to be a max capacity.

So no, i find it hard to believe that its just that easy for any parents in a less than stellar school can drive their kids to bellaire or lamar every day and problem is solved.

HISD website seems to post some restrictions.

Parents may also apply to a school other than the “zoned” campus forother types of transfers, such as Magnet/Vanguard, special transfersfor courses or programs, impassable geographic barriers,majority-to-minority, space-available, out-of-district, violent-crimevictim, unsafe school, adequate yearly progress, and public educationgrant.

All I can say is that the involved Mexican parents that I've talked to sure know how to game the system. Maybe they're lying about the reason for the request or something, but they make it happen pretty easily. Maybe the reason it isn't a problem is that only the involved parents know how to do it or care to try...and there aren't many of them.

Those boundaries seem to correspond to the old map i found... which leaves me with alot of other area I thought was considered Eastwood.

Bewtween Dumble and the tracks things get squirrely and are chopped up a lot. I believe the area right around Jackson Jr High south of Polk is called Eastlawn. A little east yet of that is called Dissen Heights. North of Polk and east of Dumble, I've heard there are 2 or 3 little subdivisions. Something called Eastwood Oaks, and other names I'm not sure of. They're marked on the HCAD facet maps.

Bewtween Dumble and the tracks things get squirrely and are chopped up a lot. I believe the area right around Jackson Jr High south of Polk is called Eastlawn. A little east yet of that is called Dissen Heights. North of Polk and east of Dumble, I've heard there are 2 or 3 little subdivisions. Something called Eastwood Oaks, and other names I'm not sure of. They're marked on the HCAD facet maps.

Of if you don't like peicing together facet maps, you can use the City of Houston Public Works & Engineering Department's Geographic Information Management System (GIMS) and turn on the 'subdivisions' layer.

I've wondered that myself. I know the ECA serves many of the subdivisions along it's "boundaries". My parents home on Clay St. is called East View, it's a small section between Jackson MS and the Collier St. Here's a question, how can a subdivision become part of ECA? Does a petition need to be created? I know there's amembership fee, but does that make you , or the neighborhood part of the ECA?

That question would be a great piece of "new business" to bring up at the next ECA meeting...Monday, Sept. 14th, 6:30pm at the E.B. Cape Center.

All I can say is that the involved Mexican parents that I've talked to sure know how to game the system. Maybe they're lying about the reason for the request or something, but they make it happen pretty easily. Maybe the reason it isn't a problem is that only the involved parents know how to do it or care to try...and there aren't many of them.

You're correct on that!!!

Yeah, I can't find it either (can't find much of anything with the HAIF search function).

I think this might be right . Actually, now that I look at it again, I believe the northern permiter is at Rusk, and doesn't encompass the commercial land on Harrisburg. Another generally good way to tell when you are driving around is setback. I have noticed that Woodleigh and the other surrounding neighborhoods have a shallower home setback (might be dreaming on that one, though). Guess the others were more working class neighborhoods and Eastwood was the nice (Ha!) one in the area.

3910434646_c8474691b4_o.jpg

This is where I live... Eastlawn (and I've been thinking it was Eastwood this whole time lol). A good neighborhood, but with some "spotty" areas. There are lots of homes that could be spectacular with a little TLC here. I've been driving around in the Heights lately to compare the two areas. They are eerily similar, but sometimes I think that Greater Eastwood has more potential than the Heights. We need to take the time and get the city to come in and fix our sidewalks (and add sidewalks to some streets with surprisingly heavy foot traffic like HENNINGER), trim any remaining hedges and trees that Hurricane Ike didn't get to, and take care of the parks. Other than that, we are greatful for these subdivisions because they were very well-planned to be walkable, family-friendly and are ripe for some new development. BTW, would those of you going to the meeting please mention some of this stuff. I wish I could be there, but I have opera rehearsal tonight.

Of if you don't like peicing together facet maps, you can use the City of Houston Public Works & Engineering Department's Geographic Information Management System (GIMS) and turn on the 'subdivisions' layer.

I always forget what a tool that website can be. None of the layers palette opens in Firefox.. so as you can imagine, i was less than impressed when people first mentioned it on here. It wasn't till like a year later when i tried it in IE.. and holy hell.. a whole new world !!!

Anyways..

East End subdivisions...

I'm not sure how much this helps... except for Eastwood, Broadmoor, Idylwood.. maybe 1-2 more... none of these are names that I've heard thrown around. So maybe the term 'Greater Eastwood' encompasses the bulk of these.. i dont know..

gallery_1072_87_922967.jpg

I always forget what a tool that website can be. None of the layers palette opens in Firefox.. so as you can imagine, i was less than impressed when people first mentioned it on here. It wasn't till like a year later when i tried it in IE.. and holy hell.. a whole new world !!!

Anyways..

East End subdivisions...

I'm not sure how much this helps... except for Eastwood, Broadmoor, Idylwood.. maybe 1-2 more... none of these are names that I've heard thrown around. So maybe the term 'Greater Eastwood' encompasses the bulk of these.. i dont know..

gallery_1072_87_922967.jpg

This is a good map.

How many of these neighborhoods have current, valid, and enforceable deed restrictions? Idylwood, yes. What about the other couple hundred?

If that's the case, then schools would be zero obstacle in moving wherever you wanted. Even if the only obstacle were having to drive your kids out of zone to the better school, it seems the top 2-3 high schools in HISD would be overwhelmed with transfer requests.

And perhaps they are... but there has to be a max capacity.

So no, i find it hard to believe that its just that easy for any parents in a less than stellar school can drive their kids to bellaire or lamar every day and problem is solved...."

I live in Norhill, and our two kids go to Wilson Elementary which is in Montrose. We are zoned for Browning (in Brookesmith), with which we were not impressed. We chose Wilson because of its Montessori program, but there are other good choices closer to the Heights.

It really is not hard to apply for your kids to go somewhere else. That's the easy part. But there are other factors, such as driving your kids across town during the morning rush hour EVERY morning instead of them walking or even driving them only 1/2 mile down the street. And they may or may not have friends already at that school, it's not like their neighborhood friends are all there. Wilson is an older city school which has a lack of space and some old facilities/issues that new suburban schools don't have to deal with. These and other nuisances add up over the course of years, and I sympathize with people who move to the burbs for good, modern schools and an easier morning routine.

And yes, there are schools in HISD which are overwhelmed with transfer requests - Travis Ele in Woodland Heights, and Wilson is now also overwhelmed. Helms and Harvard Elementaries get plenty of transfer requests too. Eventually these kids are going to end up at Hamilton or Hogg middle schools, there will be too many to transfer elsewhere.

And now, some rampant speculation - Once the Heights gets a reputation for good schools all the way thru grade 12 - which should be in about 10 years or so I hope - it is going to be THE area for families inside the Loop.

And now, some rampant speculation - Once the Heights gets a reputation for good schools all the way thru grade 12 - which should be in about 10 years or so I hope - it is going to be THE area for families inside the Loop.

Nah, the neighborhoods zoned to Bellaire HS already claim that title. Large single-family homes, manicured lawns, good schools, low crime, vicious police enforcement and low taxes in the City of Bellaire, and prices high enough to chase off the riff raff. That's not to say that Reagan HS couldn't one day also be appealing for families, but it's got a long ways to go. By the time it is, you may not recognize the Heights for what it was.

This is a good map.

How many of these neighborhoods have current, valid, and enforceable deed restrictions? Idylwood, yes. What about the other couple hundred?

i would say the majority don't have valid deed restrictions. with the age of many of the hoods, there were different items of concern so your issues may not be covered by those in place anyway.

i would say the majority don't have valid deed restrictions. with the age of many of the hoods, there were different items of concern so your issues may not be covered by those in place anyway.

Eastwood is a good example of this. Deed restrictions are in place, however there's not much that's enforcable other than that homes can't be used as commercial properties.

Nah, the neighborhoods zoned to Bellaire HS already claim that title. Large single-family homes, manicured lawns, good schools, low crime, vicious police enforcement and low taxes in the City of Bellaire, and prices high enough to chase off the riff raff. That's not to say that Reagan HS couldn't one day also be appealing for families, but it's got a long ways to go. By the time it is, you may not recognize the Heights for what it was.

Austin High is getting better, but has a LONNNNNG way to go. I think at this point, Eastwood is a better option for young couples and families with very young children.

I researched this topic when I was considering buying in the East End. The only neighborhoods that have really tight deed restrictions are Idylwood and Houston Country Club Place. Eastwood has a residential-only restriction, and some of the blocks have lot size restrictions. Homeowners in Simms Woods can opt to fall under the deed restrictions of Houston Country Club Place on a house-by-house basis. Forest Hill and Mason Park have a similar rule, in that homeowners can elect to fall under the East Lawndale Civic Club deed restrictions on a house-by-house basis. However, I'd say many of the houses in this area either waived this right, or the deed restrictions aren't being enforced. Some of the other little subdivisions may have restrictions in place, but they weren't on my shopping list, so I didn't research them.

i was looking on google streetview of a property i looked up on HAR this morning. The house across the street had police caution tape.

Of course, it also appears to have halloween spider webs.. but still..

Looks like a truly awful neighborhood.

It might be 'play' police tape. The Google-mobile tooks pics of the area around Halloween. I can clearly see my Halloween decorations when I look up my address. Wow, I hope people dont' think the house is haunted..ohmy.gif

No argument about the large homes, which frankly puts our old bungalow at a disadvantage. As far as recognizing the Heights in about 10 yrs, I guess only time will tell, I'm hoping it doesn't follow Bellaire in that respect.

• 5 months later...

http://search.har.com/engine/4212-Lamar-Houston-TX-77023_HAR14236550.htm

I find this house intriquing. What did it look like, originally?Was it Spanish style? Did it have a clay tile roof? Was that the original shape of those windows in front? Very narrow & long for a bungalow. I'm guessing from the inside craftsman features it was a bungalow, as stated. The yard looks like the fall of Rome with those pillars.

http://search.har.co...HAR14236550.htm

I find this house intriquing. What did it look like, originally?Was it Spanish style? Did it have a clay tile roof? Was that the original shape of those windows in front? Very narrow & long for a bungalow. I'm guessing from the inside craftsman features it was a bungalow, as stated. The yard looks like the fall of Rome with those pillars.

Was looking at that one too. Good lot location. Don't think the house could be saved though. Obscene fireplace.

I know most people here are about saving every historic home possible.. but for the ones that are pretty far gone, how much does the standard demo cost? 10k?

Was looking at that one too. Good lot location. Don't think the house could be saved though. Obscene fireplace.

I know most people here are about saving every historic home possible.. but for the ones that are pretty far gone, how much does the standard demo cost? 10k?

no demo is standard. there are so many variables that no one should admit a cost. you are more than welcome to stop by for something in the 20k range.

Concerning deed restrictions...

I ran across a 2006 article in the Eastwood voice a few weeks back... The article was about a proposed multi-story student housing project planned at Sidney and Clay.

It said... "The Eastwood Subdivision is the only one in our association with active deed restrictions."

Meaning the following subdivisions shouldn't have active deed restrictions :

Broadmoor, Lawndale, WA Kirby, Jackon Ct, Woodleigh, Eastlawn, Dissen Heights, Houston City RR, Suburban, LB Moody, Beverly Park, Eastview, Hauser, Dor Ruth, Mueller, Dixie, Georgia, Youngmens.

There are several subdivisions surrounded by the Greater Eastwood Association but not part of it... No clue as to the status of their deed restrictions:

Lawnview, Borton WH, East Bell Place, Eastwood Oaks, Wilson Place.

Also, There is actually a block of houses that doesn't appear to belong to any subdivision. South side of Polk between Dumble and Gustav.

Concerning deed restrictions...

I ran across a 2006 article in the Eastwood voice a few weeks back... The article was about a proposed multi-story student housing project planned at Sidney and Clay.

It said... "The Eastwood Subdivision is the only one in our association with active deed restrictions."

Meaning the following subdivisions shouldn't have active deed restrictions :

Broadmoor, Lawndale, WA Kirby, Jackon Ct, Woodleigh, Eastlawn, Dissen Heights, Houston City RR, Suburban, LB Moody, Beverly Park, Eastview, Hauser, Dor Ruth, Mueller, Dixie, Georgia, Youngmens.

There are several subdivisions surrounded by the Greater Eastwood Association but not part of it... No clue as to the status of their deed restrictions:

Lawnview, Borton WH, East Bell Place, Eastwood Oaks, Wilson Place.

Also, There is actually a block of houses that doesn't appear to belong to any subdivision. South side of Polk between Dumble and Gusta.

you have been left out of the loop if you are submitting your post.

Archived