Do you know anyone who got laid off?

lockmat

How Many do you know personally?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How many people do you know, excluding people you worked with, that got laid off within the past 18 months due to the poor economy?

2. 2. How many of those that you know that lost their job have gained another one since?

Count people who lost their job, even if they've found another one since then.

I only know of one person personally, got another job in two days, lost it in a month and got another one three months later

Uh, married to someone, in fact. So, yes, I know someone who has been laid off. That's just a little scriptual humor there. [Okay, pray for me, Lockmat. Lord knows, it's part of my regimentsmile.gif ].

i got the axe last year and started my own business. blessing in disguise

I wonder if the more appropriate question is 'is there anybody who doesn't know someone who has been laid off?"

Or maybe my perception is skewed because I'm in financial services. I know personally appx. 3 dozen people I worked closely with at some point in my career who have been laid off within the past 2 years. I think 4 or 5 of them have been laid off more than once during the same time frame. My latest knowledge is that 3 have been unemployed for more than 1 year and are scraping by on freelancing/consulting. My best friend's husband is a very senior IT projects guy in Austin, but for the last 6 years or so has been uneployed more than not, and when working is on a conract basis. That seems to be the norm in his world. Good money when you can pick up a gig, dry otherwise.

Well, if you count someone who worked for Stanford, yes. I'm not sure if it's considered a lay off when they shut down the company. At any rate, that person has since found a job.

We'll be having a reorganization this week, so I expect some to be axed. I'd really like to get this week over with.

I wonder if the more appropriate question is 'is there anybody who doesn't know someone who has been laid off?"

Or maybe my perception is skewed because I'm in financial services. I know personally appx. 3 dozen people I worked closely with at some point in my career who have been laid off within the past 2 years. I think 4 or 5 of them have been laid off more than once during the same time frame. My latest knowledge is that 3 have been unemployed for more than 1 year and are scraping by on freelancing/consulting. My best friend's husband is a very senior IT projects guy in Austin, but for the last 6 years or so has been uneployed more than not, and when working is on a conract basis. That seems to be the norm in his world. Good money when you can pick up a gig, dry otherwise.

wow, those are people you knew who did not work at AIG that were laid of a couple months ago?

Remind me not to get into financial services.

Unfortunatly I've had to lay off eight people since last Christmas. Not fun!!!!!! :{ Today we received an email from home office notifying those of us that remain that our benefits will be cut 50% on 8-17 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

wow, those are people you knew who did not work at AIG that were laid of a couple months ago?

It does include 8 AIG peeps whom I worked very closely with, plus people at other firms I worked with at various other times.

Depends on how one defines financial services, I suppose. The retail side is painful all around these days. The i-banks like Goldman, on the other hand, aren't exactly hurting!

edit: I just did a mental list of people I know who are/were not colleagues, and came up with 11 people in the last 18 months. Curious as to the results of the poll and if that's still a high number based on other's experience.

Well, if you count someone who worked for Stanford, yes. I'm not sure if it's considered a lay off when they shut down the company. At any rate, that person has since found a job.

We'll be having a reorganization this week, so I expect some to be axed. I'd really like to get this week over with.

well, crap! Are you pretty confident your position is safe?

Remind me not to get into financial services.

A person I knew told me that finance jobs are high paying, but they are unstable, as the layoffs demonstrated.

• 3 months later...

I was just wondering if yall still know of people who are getting laid off. There are still some whispers that they're coming again to my company. I haven't really been keeping up with the news the last few months so I'm not sure how much they're reporting the latest figures. From what I have heard, it's not getting better anytime soon.

I think that there will definitely be more layoffs, at least at my company there will be. From what I have seen and conversations I have had with friends, many companies have done an admirable job trying to "wait out" the recession, and retain their talent for the turnaround. But at some point, you start feeiling the cost pinch and layoffs are inevitable.

So I think that while we might officially be out of the recession, we are going to be feeling it for a while to come.

Archived