Flying...Need help

foxmulder

The last time i flew was in 2002...(nothing was as strict as it is now) I have been to the TSA website BUT IT IS SO DAMN CONFUSING!

I want to take my laptop but do not want to "carry it on" can i "check it in?" TSA says "Do not pack oversized electronics (laptops, full-size video game consoles, DVD players and video cameras that use cassettes) in your checked baggage when possible. " I have one bottle of prescription medication and contact solution(which i understand size does not matter...And this goes in a ziplock together?) i will carry on. I am traveling SW to BWI from HOU. Only reason i don't want to carry on my laptop is because i'm traveling with a DSLR /1P&S and a few lenses.(no room already :) )Any advice is welcomed.

I've brought my laptop as a carry-on through dozens of airports in dozens of countries. It's no big deal, they're used to seeing them.

DO NOT put your laptop in your checked luggage. If it gets lost or stolen, you're screwed. The airline has limited liability for damage done to items in checked luggage and you'll never get enough back to cover the replacement cost.

I have two bags I use for my laptop. One is just a plain old leather plumber's bag. I put the laptop in a padded sleeve and stick that in the bag. The other is a roll-on case with a special padded compartment for the laptop (and special padded compartments for the cameras and lenses). It also has an exterior quick-zip for getting to it fast at security checkpoints.

At 90% of the airports I've been through in the last few years when you get to security and start putting your stuff in the bins for the conveyor belt, you put your laptop in a bin on its own. It can go through the X-ray machine fine.

In very rare circumstances I've gone through an airport that requests that you keep your laptop in your bag.

Either way there will be many many signs telling you what to do well in advance.

Your carry-on allowance is one bag, and one personal item. The cameras and lenses in their bag is your carry-on bag. The laptop in its case is your personal item.

I fly with a laptop every week. It's no big deal. Carry it on, save the cash you would have spent on FedEx. There's no reason not to just carry it on. And, depending on the design of your laptop bag, you may not even have to take it completely out of the bag at the TSA checkpoint.

• 4 weeks later...

When I travel (which isn't often, but it has been recent within the past month) I take my carry-on suitcase and a backpack. The backpack was plenty of room for books, laptop, and camera, although the DSLRs mentioned here are a lot bigger than what I have. I also wear my largest pair of shoes I'm taking (sucks taking them off and back on in security, but worth it to preserve suitcase space) and I wear whichever clothes take up the most physical space. Also whether its hot or not, I still keep my jacket on me.

Also be ready however to take your laptop out and turn it on at the security checks.

My carry-on luggage was under the 45 linear inch limit, and held all my clothing along with little 3oz bottles containing shampoo, contact lens solution, toothpaste etc just fine. Although you have to be pretty conservative with limited toiletries.

Personally, I hate checking bags, cause of hassle, fees, waiting at the bag return conveyor, wondering if they're going to lose my bag, randomly search it and/or take anything. My next flight I get a slightly larger case just at the 45" limit and make the most of it. I will not check a bag.

Archived