Chicago skyline lit for Saint Patrick's Day

Someone on the Chicago Architecture Twitter feed asked to see a picture of the Chicago skyline as it's lit for Saint Patrick's Day.

I posted the link on the feed, but thought I'd share the picture here with people who aren't subscribers, too:

3356427595_8d006302db_o.jpg

The buildings lit in this picture are Sears Tower (Willis Tower), 311 South Wacker, Marina City, and Plaza 440.

Here's an annotated version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artefaqscorporation/3356427595/

why is it that chicago is so hip on st. paddy's day? do people in la or houston celebrate as much? what gives?

I would guess that Chicago has a greater population of Irish descent than does Houston.

Don't they dye the Chicago river green? I would suggest that Houston dye Buffalo Bayou green, but the color is close enough already! :lol:

why is it that chicago is so hip on st. paddy's day? do people in la or houston celebrate as much? what gives?

Chicago has a deep Irish history. Obviously, nothing like Boston; but the oldest church in Chicago is Old Saint Patrick's, which is something of a cultural institution in the city for other reasons. Also, there is a VERY LARGE Irish expat population here.

Interestingly, a couple of years ago I saw a statistic stating that after Mexicans, the largest group of illegal immigrants in Chicago were from Ireland. Whenever there's the annual "immigrants rights" protest march there's always a large Irish contingent.

It was claimed during one of the SPD parades today (there are two big ones carried live by the TV stations and several smaller ones that get less coverage) that Chicago has a larger Irish population than New York. I don't know if that's actually true.

The buildings lighting up that way is voluntary. The big ones (Sears/Willis Tower and 311 South Wacker) are commercial buildings and do it for attention. The other two (Marina City and Plaza 440) are smaller residential condos that do it for fun.

BTW, if you have the cash you can light up Sears Tower in whatever colors you want. Often corporations will light it up in their colors to catch the eye of convention-goers.

Here's the picture of the Chicago River being dyed green:

riverbnc.jpg

The dye is actually orange and was invented by some local guy (plumber or bar owner or something). The exact recipe is a secret, but it's been certified by the state as being non-toxic. Other cities have tried to duplicate the recipe with disappointing results.

When I lived along the river it took about a week for the artificial green to dissipate. Sometimes the river is naturally green if it's been a cold winter and the oxygen levels are low, like the way glacial lakes are naturally green.

Chicago has a deep Irish history. Obviously, nothing like Boston; but the oldest church in Chicago is Old Saint Patrick's, which is something of a cultural institution in the city for other reasons. Also, there is a VERY LARGE Irish expat population here.

Interestingly, a couple of years ago I saw a statistic stating that after Mexicans, the largest group of illegal immigrants in Chicago were from Ireland. Whenever there's the annual "immigrants rights" protest march there's always a large Irish contingent.

It was claimed during one of the SPD parades today (there are two big ones carried live by the TV stations and several smaller ones that get less coverage) that Chicago has a larger Irish population than New York. I don't know if that's actually true.

The buildings lighting up that way is voluntary. The big ones (Sears/Willis Tower and 311 South Wacker) are commercial buildings and do it for attention. The other two (Marina City and Plaza 440) are smaller residential condos that do it for fun.

BTW, if you have the cash you can light up Sears Tower in whatever colors you want. Often corporations will light it up in their colors to catch the eye of convention-goers.

Here's the picture of the Chicago River being dyed green:

riverbnc.jpg

The dye is actually orange and was invented by some local guy (plumber or bar owner or something). The exact recipe is a secret, but it's been certified by the state as being non-toxic. Other cities have tried to duplicate the recipe with disappointing results.

When I lived along the river it took about a week for the artificial green to dissipate. Sometimes the river is naturally green if it's been a cold winter and the oxygen levels are low, like the way glacial lakes are naturally green.

growing up north of houston, tx., the only irish i knew were nuns & priests from the local catholic school. oh do they gossip.....and drink. some of the most moral folk who consume whiskey. love 'em.

growing up north of houston, tx., the only irish i knew were nuns & priests from the local catholic school. oh do they gossip.....and drink. some of the most moral folk who consume whiskey. love 'em.

Why shouldn't they drink? They're not Muslims. The Catholic Church has no prohibition on alcohol. I know a Catholic church that serves free beer and wine at most of its functions (and to me most Tuesdays). A good number of Catholic churches have liquor licenses.

Some of the Baptists I've known have said their religion doesn't let them drink. I don't know if that's true or not, since I'm not Baptist.

Some of the Baptists I've known have said their religion doesn't let them drink. I don't know if that's true or not, since I'm not Baptist.

Some sects of Christianity focus on heaven, others on hell. To each his own I guess. Some baptists think dancing is evil. Basically I think it all comes down to pre-marital sex. Anything (drinking, dancing) that might lead unmarried sex has to be evil.

St. Patrick's day, everywhere I've live at least, is an excuse for partying and is no more religious than cinco de mayo. Sure, for a few this might be different, but not in general. Depending on where Mardi Gras falls each year, in LA it's just the next excuse to rebound into drunkenness during lent. Baton Rouge has a damn decent parade in fact.

Why shouldn't they drink? They're not Muslims. The Catholic Church has no prohibition on alcohol. I know a Catholic church that serves free beer and wine at most of its functions (and to me most Tuesdays). A good number of Catholic churches have liquor licenses.

I'm Baptist, and I was taught that drinking wasn't the problem, but it was drunkenness. Though that may vary from church to church.

I remember the first time I went to the Zydeco Festival at St. Mary's in Riverside Terrace about 2 years ago. I was there with one of my friends from church, and I said "look, alcohol, dancing, good food and fine women at church, how come Baptist churches don't do this?" I also saw a few other Baptists from my church enjoying the same libations. :D

lol

if we died the bayou green, the epa would go apes***! they would say its the refineries.

i can see the picture in newsweek now.

They do dye it green, though it's not as green as the Chicago River gets.

Archived