KTRK - ABC13 Starting a new Talk Show

citykid09

It wouldn't be hard to "compete" with Great Day Houston. That show is a joke. Although Debra does a good job, I just can't stand the clip-art, the 3 rows of benches of people clapping louder so it seems like there is a bigger audience. And the camera zooming in closer and it zips by gives me a headache!

Sounds like it's trying to beat NBC Universal's expansion of Lux.tv into the market. Lux is a hybrid local-national show covering pretty much the things that are outlined in the Disney job listing.

I wonder if it will be a morning or afternoon show. They may want to compete with Great Day Houston.

My guess is a periodic weekend program, with the personality filing reports daily or every few days.

Basically the shtick Roseann Rogers has done in the past, and to some effect, still does today.

I say weekend since KTRK does air a fair amount of station-produced specials on a pretty much weekly basis these days, specifically the 10:35-11:05P spot on Sunday nights. Then again those are generally substantial programs (Last week: Galveston Recovery from Hurricane Ike), so I don't think it would be in that timeslot, but perhaps earlier.

It wouldn't be hard to "compete" with Great Day Houston. That show is a joke. Although Debra does a good job, I just can't stand the clip-art, the 3 rows of benches of people clapping louder so it seems like there is a bigger audience. And the camera zooming in closer and it zips by gives me a headache!

I agree Great Day Houston is a joke but I also think Debra Duncan is not the greatest host. She too often focuses on herself rather than allowing her guests to be the sole center of attention during the time allotted to them.

*note* Am I the last to know Debra Duncan was once married to Roland Martin of CNN?

I agree Great Day Houston is a joke but I also think Debra Duncan is not the greatest host. She too often focuses on herself rather than allowing her guests to be the sole center of attention during the time allotted to them.

It works for Oprah. And Tyra.

Back on topic (somewhat) -- if this is a Lux.tv clone, Lux.tv airs after Saturday Night Live and again on Sunday mornings, which are traditionally hard slots to fill unless you've got a national political show or the God squad to fill the space.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does "Great Day Houston" get decent ratings?

I think I read a while back that it was #2 in its time slot behind, Regis and Kelly. It might be #1 now???

I just like the fact that talent in the Houston area can stay in town and still make it with out the need to move to LA or NYC. The city of Atlanta realized that and has been able to retain its talent in music, TV, music, arts, etc.

I read an article the other day about how designers (clothing, etc) from the Houston area use to have to move to LA or NYC to make it in the industry, but now They are staying in Houston and are still able to make a name for themselves.

Archived