Best Netbooks

I would like to buy a netbook to take around when traveling etc. I would rather carry around a netbook instead of an expensive laptop that I would have to really keep up with. I don't want to pay over $300. I would really like one in the range of $199 - $250 range.

Do you all see the prices going down anytime soon?

I just need to be able to use the internet, Microsoft office, paint, maybe play a few games and save a few small files.

A camera would be nice to when far away from family.

So what do you all suggest? Dell, HP, Acer, other?

Whats the best deal?

Also does Microsoft office work with Linux?

Or would I be able to load open office on it or do programs like that come with it?

You just missed a sale on the Dell Mini 9 at 199. Its now back to a still affordable 249, if you go with Linux. 299 with XP.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...=dhs&~ck=mn

Open Office is very capable in Linux and can work with Office file formats. If you must have Office it can be run with Wine, but I would recommend just using Open Office.

So if I have some work on a word file from my computer and want to transfer it via a flash drive or email, will I be able to open it on my netbook if it has Linix?

If Linix is so compatible with everything that Windows is, then what are the negatives to having Linix?

Also can I request that this topic be moved to the Computer section? I didn't see it before.

The new versin of Atom is coming out in a few months. That will make the current stock of netbooks even cheaper. My advice is to get one with XP unless you're an uber-geek. XP netbooks are a bit more expensive but in my opinion well worth it for the average user. I have an HP Mini 1000 with a hard drive and XP. Works great. At work we have an EeePc with Unbuto(sp?) and its terrible.

Archived