Bobcats In Cinco Ranch/ Katy Area

Urbannizer

I am highly skeptical that they've seen a wolf...

Wolves have been eliminated from Texas for 40 years. And even before then, their range was in south and west Texas, not the Houston area.

A few trickle in from Mexico, just like mountain lions and bears, but those are in south Texas.

Wolves have been eliminated from Texas for 40 years. And even before then, their range was in south and west Texas, not the Houston area.

A few trickle in from Mexico, just like mountain lions and bears, but those are in south Texas.

There were plenty of wolves in East Texas when I used to go hunting there 25 years ago.

I've seen wolves on a number of occassions in the Addicks reservoir, and I know the difference between a wolf, and a coyote.

Well beileve it or not, Mountain lions are moving back north int Texas and SW states from Mexico.

Also Wolves are still in Texas.

I just saw this. Unless your dog is really a rabbit or a ground squirrel, you have nothing to worry about and a real bobcat is definitely more scared of people than they should be of it. I love how city folk get all worked up over wildlife. There was a coyote in Memorial Park recently and people acted like it was a hungry grizzly bear stalking the jogging loop.

This is the best quote of the whole article:

I've seen wolves on a number of occassions in the Addicks reservoir, and I know the difference between a wolf, and a coyote.

Where? Specifically.

Me: Wolves have been eliminated from Texas for 40 years... A few trickle in from Mexico, just like mountain lions and bears, but those are in south Texas.
Well beileve it or not, Mountain lions are moving back north int Texas and SW states from Mexico.

You seem to be trying to disagree with me, but in fact you are just repeating exactly what I said.

Bobcats and coyotes are two commonly mistaken wild animals in city areas. I know from having personally seen on job sites that there are plenty of bobcats, deer, coyotes, wild turkeys, and hogs all over the Houston area. Coyotes are pretty easy to ID. You can go to Bass Pro Shops and see mounted ones on display to get a good idea of how they look.

Coyotes are all over the city and are commonly spotted. One time I chased a coyote around in my truck on a large open tract of land near BW8 and Beechnut right in the middle of town where apartments now stand. This was in broad daylight and just a few years ago.

No we don't have bears or mountain lions but I have read somewhere, maybe here on HAIF, an oldtimer recounted how there used to be Red Wolves all around the present Hwy 6 area between I10 and 290 40 to 50 years ago. That area obviously would have been far out in the country then. Can anyone check in on red wolves in this area?

I also think its funny the way "city folks" freak out over wild animals in their neighborhoods. They don't realize that in the far suburbs their neighborhoods were country a few years ago. The animals are all around. Don't be scared!

There are / were mountain lions in San Angelo. A few years ago one came out of the woods and swiped a deer right in the middle of a residential neighborhood on the edge of town. Several people were out walking and were stopped to watch the deer that gathered in that one spot every evening. Needless to say everyone freaked out pretty good.

Saw a cougar (or mountain lion, or puma, what have you) just last November just outside of Gatesville in Coryell county in central Texas. That is far from far west Texas.

Hey Westguy,

I am originally from Gatesville and still own a country place near Pearl. Bobcats are pretty common, but I haven't seen a mountain lion in years, but I wouldn't doubt it. What part of Gatesville area did you spot this animal? Just curious.

Hey Westguy,

I am originally from Gatesville and still own a country place near Pearl. Bobcats are pretty common, but I haven't seen a mountain lion in years, but I wouldn't doubt it. What part of Gatesville area did you spot this animal? Just curious.

On a ranch that is really closer to Purmela. It's a pretty rare sight I understand.

• The title was changed to Bobcats In Cinco Ranch/ Katy Area

Archived