Is This Photo Of Westheimer Altered/Photoshopped?

LookingToMove

Drove by today, personally I don't think this photo is exaggerated at all. With or without any special lenses it look just like the picture, and it happens again at Tanglewild and Westhimer just before Gessner. What an ugly street.

We should launch a campaign to get those power lines buried like every other 1st world city. You don't see that in Canada. Speaking of Canada, why do we litter so much in this city? We could learn something from our neighbors to the north.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There is a similar internet forum where a photo of Westheimer is being presented as a negative portrayal of Houston. It is a poster from Dallas who keeps posting it. There are accusations the photo has been altered (with clutter added) because the highrise is too close in the photo, and the intersection doesn't look the same on Google maps street view (location on Westheimer @ Lazy Hollow, approx 8650 Westheimer).

Can some experts weigh in on their opinions?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7150406-post242.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s...-cities-25.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7141406-post38.html

isnt that photo from 1994-1998?

Telephoto lens (otherwise known as "zoom" lens) compress the perception of space and tend to abstract the depth of field. As opposed to a wide angle lens or fisheye that distorts spatial perception and creates more depth of field than is really there.

I must have been having a bad day. ... i just re-read my last post.

That was an ass thing of me to do, singling out all the people that were wrong.

Im an ass.. Sorry bout that everyone.

Left to me, you don't have to apologize for that.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the deal with the apparent seam in the picture where the SUV in the distance seems to have its body sitting on the ground instead of up on its tires? I know there aren't any hills on Westheimer to cause that. Looks like two photos put together to me. It's pathetic that someone doesn't have anything better to do with their time than to talk trash about our city and even alter photos to do so. Let me reiterate my point.... PATHETIC. If they love Dallas so much then let them stay there. We don't need any more snobs down here. <_<

Street View on Google maps looks quite different at Lazy Hollow and Westheimer. Same bent Lazy Hollow street sign though.

Not altered, my buttox.

*sigh* .. another FAIL.

What's the deal with the apparent seam in the picture where the SUV in the distance seems to have its body sitting on the ground instead of up on its tires? I know there aren't any hills on Westheimer to cause that. Looks like two photos put together to me. It's pathetic that someone doesn't have anything better to do with their time than to talk trash about our city and even alter photos to do so. Let me reiterate my point.... PATHETIC. If they love Dallas so much then let them stay there. We don't need any more snobs down here. <_<

It only takes a slight rise in the paving to take away a few inches view of a tire. Hill not required. FAIL

Nice rant... go see post #28. It has already been emphatically proven to have not been photoshopped.

*sigh* .. another FAIL.

It only takes a slight rise in the paving to take away a few inches view of a tire. Hill not required. FAIL

Nice rant... go see post #28. It has already been emphatically proven to have not been photoshopped.

I pass this exact spot frequently so I took a closer look after I first saw this photo. Even though it doesn't look the same on Google, with the naked eye you can see it's pretty close. Most likely it was zoomed a little, but the view from Fondren and Westheimer doesn't need to be altered to get this picture.

That said, to use this as a representation of Houston is bogus. I'm sure you can go to ANY city in the US and get a similar shot without much trouble.

*sigh* .. another FAIL.

Highway 6, I'm glad you appointed yourself the master of this thread so you can let us all know we failed. We are all entitled to our opinion and if you don't like mine then say what you need to say but keep that pompous know-it-all attitude to yourself. I read the entire thread before I made my comment, and I personally think there is more than just a few inches of tire missing in that photo. Maybe you should review what you had to say in post #36.

Highway 6, I'm glad you appointed yourself the master of this thread so you can let us all know we failed. We are all entitled to our opinion and if you don't like mine then say what you need to say but keep that pompous know-it-all attitude to yourself. I read the entire thread before I made my comment, and I personally think there is more than just a few inches of tire missing in that photo. Maybe you should review what you had to say in post #36.

Post 36 was my FAIL. I'm always an ass.. Not sure what came over me during post 36.

I figured you hadn't read the entire thread. I am the guy that took the time to go reproduce the photo, so yes, i think i reserve the right to be a pompous know-it-all in this case. But hey, if after reading the entire thread and seeing a 2nd photo done, it is still of your opinion that it is photoshopped... I think that means you're calling me a liar, since there is a few inches of tire missing in my reproduction as well. But hey.. its your opinion.. so you must be right, huh ?!?

Welcome to HAIF !!!

Take it from someone that lives on Westheimer and Lazy Hollow, that picture has been significantly altered.

-Two speed limit signs

-Missing bench bus stop @ Target

-Target and Wachovia signs pushed back from Lazy Hollow

-My apartments cropped out of picture

-Wal-Mart/shopping strip cropped out of picture

-The trees you see that look within walking distance are actually nearly a mile down the road

-You can make out the 610 bridge in the background. Good luck with that in real life.

-A number of intersections/Galleria area buildings have been moved miles west.

Yeah, I know if it isn't your perfect little cul de sac suburb, or townhome infested "urban centre" it's ugly, but people do live in these areas like myself and just might take offense to such language. And I'm dissapointed that anyone who claims to know this area would even dare call this a close representation. That's like saying Oprah is a close representation of Beyonce becuase they are both black women.

I must have been having a bad day. ... i just re-read my last post.

That was an ass thing of me to do, singling out all the people that were wrong.

Im an ass.. Sorry bout that everyone.

I enjoyed it, don't sweat it.

It was a smarty ass humor that was funny.

Being on the list of people that "failed", I get it, so no offense here.

There are two aspects to this thread.

1) That people in a dallas thread are misrepresenting Houston.

2) That the photo has been photochopped.

Numero 2 is the title of the thread and the component I care about.

fail500-1.gif

" Kind of like airbrushing a covergirl" that would be exactly photoshopping. So again.. you are 100% wrong.

If i took a out of focus photo of your face... would it be representative of your face? No.... But it would still be a Un-altered. Un-Photoshopped. 100% real photo.

It's like I posted the answer key on the bulletin board before the test and students are still failing.

I'm glad we're not having moderator tryouts anytime soon.

Epic win for the photo +1!

This is a good Friday workday rant/debate thread!

Thanks Puma... kinda ironic that I'm defending the absense of photoshopping in a photo with my mad photoshopping skillz.... but I digress.

There are two aspects to this thread.

1) That people in a dallas thread are misrepresenting Houston.

2) That the photo has been photochopped.

Numero 2 is the title of the thread and the component I care about.

fail500-1.gif

" Kind of like airbrushing a covergirl" that would be exactly photoshopping. So again.. you are 100% wrong.

If i took a out of focus photo of your face... would it be representative of your face? No.... But it would still be a Un-altered. Un-Photoshopped. 100% real photo.

It's like I posted the answer key on the bulletin board before the test and students are still failing.

I'm glad we're not having moderator tryouts anytime soon.

Cute. But airbrushing is a misrepresentation of the subject matter much like the photo in question.

No.

Taken today with with 400mm zoom lens from the Fondren intersection. Only major difference I see is the Lazy Hollow sign has fallen or been relocated.

gallery_1072_87_216480.jpg

Original

2767203360_764926a17f_b.jpg

What I find even more interesting is that there is a bike rider in BOTH pictures, and in yours, there is even *gasp* a pedestrian!!!

What are the odds?

Anyway, I'd say that the other guy used an even longer lens, the distortion from the heat and the tighter field of view give that much away.

i'd just like to point out airbrushing is not photoshopping....

technically, yes, but when we use photoshop in this context

i think we mean using almost every tool,

whereas airbrushing would just be a slight alteration

i'd just like to point out airbrushing is not photoshopping....

technically, yes, but when we use photoshop in this context

i think we mean using almost every tool,

whereas airbrushing would just be a slight alteration

to airbrush and to photoshop might as well be synonomous with digitally altering a photo. Why does the degree in which it was altered matter?

true, airbrushing of old was not digital.. but one can not airbrush today ( on digital photos ) without doing it through photoshop ( or other editor). It is a tool of photoshop.. how many tools of photoshop must we use on a digital photo before it is considered photoshopped ??

to airbrush and to photoshop might as well be synonomous with digitally altering a photo. Why does the degree in which it was altered matter?

true, airbrushing of old was not digital.. but one can not airbrush today ( on digital photos ) without doing it through photoshop ( or other editor). It is a tool of photoshop.. how many tools of photoshop must we use on a digital photo before it is considered photoshopped ??

IN this CASE, some people seem to think A LOT...if the people in this thread seem to think it was photoshopped a little, we

wouldn't be having this conversation...now would we?

IN this CASE, some people seem to think A LOT...if the people in this thread seem to think it was photoshopped a little, we

wouldn't be having this conversation...now would we?

But its not an issue over degree of photoshopping / airbrushing / digitally altering. We're talking people that think entire vehicles, street signs, etc have been staged.

Its cynicism brought on by knowing what is possible with photoshop but not knowing what is possible with the tools used to take the photo. Actually.. it's cynicism brought on what they think is possible in photoshop. The degree of alterations that some people think happened, while maintaining that level of realism.. not nearly as so easily done as they think.. certainly not by your average joe.

And this week, its simply not reading an entire thread and inability to simply say 'oops, i was wrong' when shown to be wrong.

• The title was changed to Is This Photo Of Westheimer Altered/Photoshopped?

Archived