Amtrak?

IronTiger

I thought I knew Houston pretty well...in terms of transit anyway. A bunch of highways coming in (I-10, I-45, SH-6, and a few smaller ones), a central city core surrounded by I-610, I-10 and I-45 running haphazardly through it, and a small light rail. But wait! There seems like there's an Amtrak station in Houston. Amtrak's website says so.

I knew Amtrak once ran through College Station...in fact, you can see the original stop, despite recent development and a serious overgrowth of weeds.

I knew it existed, especially in the northeast (New Jersey to Boston, basically) and I saw a sign for a stop near McGregor...

But here in Texas? Running through Crawford of all places?

Does anyone ride Amtrak from Houston/seen it/know it exists?

I thought I knew Houston pretty well...in terms of transit anyway. A bunch of highways coming in (I-10, I-45, SH-6, and a few smaller ones), a central city core surrounded by I-610, I-10 and I-45 running haphazardly through it, and a small light rail. But wait! There seems like there's an Amtrak station in Houston. Amtrak's website says so.

I knew Amtrak once ran through College Station...in fact, you can see the original stop, despite recent development and a serious overgrowth of weeds.

I knew it existed, especially in the northeast (New Jersey to Boston, basically) and I saw a sign for a stop near McGregor...

Of course Amtrak runs through Houston... the station (as crappy as it is) is near Downtown. The train is the Sunset Limited... goes from New Orleans (used to go all of the way to Florida... not sure if it does anymore) to Los Angeles.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...03&ssid=132

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Limited

My better half and myself have done the Houston to NO to Atlanta route. We've also done the Houston to LA to San Fransisco trip. Travel time is not too quick but it is a great way to spend some of your vacation if you have the time. We'll probably duplicate the Houston to LA trip next year but plan to go all the way to Seattle.

My better half and myself have done the Houston to NO to Atlanta route. We've also done the Houston to LA to San Fransisco trip. Travel time is not too quick but it is a great way to spend some of your vacation if you have the time. We'll probably duplicate the Houston to LA trip next year but plan to go all the way to Seattle.

The line now apparently ends at NOLA and does not go to Florida anymore, even though the rails have been repaired since Katrina.

I've only been on Amtrak once when I lived in PA... went from where I was going to college to Philadelphia... never been on it here in Houston.

I've only been on Amtrak once when I lived in PA... went from where I was going to college to Philadelphia... never been on it here in Houston.

You should try the west coast route. They have a restored 1940's parlour car on that train, complete with a movie theatre downstairs.

I couldn't have been happier sitting on the second level of that car with a glass (or two or three......) of wine watching the scenery go by for hours on end.

The scenery between LA and SF on that route is unbelievable.

Ooops, posted with my partners login by mistake. This is actually West20th.

Archived